Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City (Home) 21st Mar 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

as long as we get one more than they do, I don't care if we let in a hundred! Can you just imagine that as a scoreline...... Spurs 101 Man C 100 ! That would give the keepers a back ache

And still only a goal difference improvement of 1 despite winning by scoring 101 goals. #Spursy

Chadli & Townsend
> They offer next to nothing defensively
> They ruin build up plays most of the time
> They never create goal scoring chances
> They thrive on losing possession
> Their work rates are poor
> They are our weakest links at the moment
> They are both likely to start next game

Sadli was pathetic. Haven't thought much of him for a while

Our net spend over the last 5-10 is way at the bottom so I don't think just getting one or two £20 million players should be beyond us, even the likes of Hull have a higher net spend.

I understand we need to be prudent but why all the Stambouli purchases, players the manager doesn't want who just fill up our bench. Going constantly for cheap bargains is the transfer policy of lower prem table teams, if we want to break the top 4 consistently we have to get the quality to do it and right now we are hoping that a few more of our youth players can do a Harry Kane which will be luck rather than judgement.

Most teams in the top 4 have 4 what you would call special players, we have two in Lloris and Kane IMO. We are two top players away from going up a level. If that means spending £30 million we should do it. We should be able to fund it through sales anyway in the summer. I just do not want us to end up buying 5 average players instead of two or just one top class player that's why we need to alter our buying model. We have the quantity, it's the quality that's important.
Teams like Hull usually do have a higher net spend ( if you look at the relegation teams you will probably see they spend a lot more net than us too) this is probably because they
1) need to buy
2) cannot usually command high prices for their sales.
I mean when was the last time Hull sold a player for £97m?

That's the thing, his 'fluke' goals will always cover up every time his performances are brought into question. Since he's an attacking midfield why is no one questioning his number of successful passes, successful dribbles, chances created, crosses completed, tackles, interceptions, distance covered in 90 minutes? etc

Yes he's much better goalscorer compared to Townsend and Lamela and he has been fortunate enough to find himself in good goal scoring positions many times this season. What about his other responsibilities as a midfielder like shielding the defense, avoid opponent from creating chances etc?

What exactly does he do off the ball and why are his passes extremely poor for creative attacking midfield?

Fluke goals? Fortunate enough to find himself in good goal scoring positions? What does he do off the ball?

Are you trolling?

It's not a fluke with that number of goals. He isn't 'fortunate' to find himself in those positions. His role is to get into those positions, and he does that extremely well. He's also a good finisher, although he missed a couple of big ones against Leicester. His two goals following crosses from Rose shows his excellent finishing.

Speaking of Rose. Have you noticed how people all of a sudden thinks he's our best defender? They didn't think that while Eriksen was our AML. I'm not saying that Rose hasn't improved, but he has done so partly because he has Chadli in front of him. Because he's our best AM at 'shielding' the defence.

Also, you refer to pass completion. Chadli has the highest percentage pass completion of all our AMs.

I don't have the numbers for distance covered, but I feel quite confident that Chadli runs his fair share. He might not look like he's working as hard as the others, because his role isn't to be the creative one that looks to get on the ball at all times, but the guy that gets into positions to support the striker and to score.

After Kane and Lloris he's been our most productive player this season, and I would say our third best. Why he gets so much stick I will never understand.

Watch the 5-3 Chelsea game again, and notice the amazing game that Chadli had. He was pure quality, and really pushing Kane for the MotM.

Teams like Hull usually do have a higher net spend ( if you look at the relegation teams you will probably see they spend a lot more net than us too) this is probably because they
1) need to buy
2) cannot usually command high prices for their sales.
I mean when was the last time Hull sold a player for £97m?

When was the last time we recieved £97 million for a player?
:baletroll:

Seriously though I Fully get that Hull have to take a gamble or two. We got about £100 for the Bale/Caulker sales and spent it like crap (Baldini) but it doesn't change the arguement that if spent well £30 million a player like Hazard or Costa or whoever can be a game changer certainly if we are looking to move up a level.

There is IMO a big difference spending £5 million on a wildly talented youngster like Dele Alli who will develop than £5-10 million on ready made players like Fazio and Stambouli. If a senior player comes to us he must be capable of getting in the first 11, otherwise there is little point of getting him. Which goes back to my feeling that outside of young potential players we really need to be looking at only top quality. Two players worth £30 million if good enough should be within range for a club like us particularly if we are selling about 8 players in the summer and thus making probably £40 mil anyway and saving a ton of wages so our net spend would still be quite low comparable to other clubs.

That's why our transfer model must be fit for purpose like out youth system. Our youth system is providing us with good players, it's now the turn of out purchasing model to be as effective as our youth model and at the moment our buying model seems more suited to the likes of Crystal Palace than Spurs.

Fluke goals? Fortunate enough to find himself in good goal scoring positions? What does he do off the ball?

Are you trolling?

It's not a fluke with that number of goals. He isn't 'fortunate' to find himself in those positions. His role is to get into those positions, and he does that extremely well. He's also a good finisher, although he missed a couple of big ones against Leicester. His two goals following crosses from Rose shows his excellent finishing.

Speaking of Rose. Have you noticed how people all of a sudden thinks he's our best defender? They didn't think that while Eriksen was our AML. I'm not saying that Rose hasn't improved, but he has done so partly because he has Chadli in front of him. Because he's our best AM at 'shielding' the defence.

Also, you refer to pass completion. Chadli has the highest percentage pass completion of all our AMs.

I don't have the numbers for distance covered, but I feel quite confident that Chadli runs his fair share. He might not look like he's working as hard as the others, because his role isn't to be the creative one that looks to get on the ball at all times, but the guy that gets into positions to support the striker and to score.

After Kane and Lloris he's been our most productive player this season, and I would say our third best. Why he gets so much stick I will never understand.

Watch the 5-3 Chelsea game again, and notice the amazing game that Chadli had. He was pure quality, and really pushing Kane for the MotM.
All good points. I just think people are asking why can't we see the chadli v Chelsea a bit more regularly.

All good points. I just think people are asking why can't we see the chadli v Chelsea a bit more regularly.

We will have Pritchard next year so hopefully our wingers will get a big kick up the backside like Rose was given by Davies. At the moment an off form Chadli is still able to get in the team, hence we need more competition in that area.

Are you trolling?

why ask if he's trolling? Is it because he has a different view of the man to you?
From my perspective your view is just as way off, particularly when you suggest that Chadli has something to do with Rose's emergence as a defender. Its more likely that Rose has (had to) developed, due to the lack of support than because of it.
Chadli is our new Dempsey, he gets goals and we love him for it, particularly as everything else he does is a bit of a mystery to anyone who watches him.
Pure quality? - sorry, thats way off the mark (IMHO) Good of you to stick up for him, but neither pure nor quality are adjectives that I would use, certainly not together.
He doesn't contribute enough to the cause, and his control and ball skills are short of the required level for progress, and I can't think of many occasions where he has beaten anyone and put a cross in - something he might stand more chance at if he played on the right.
Not first string for me.

We will have Pritchard next year so hopefully our wingers will get a big kick up the backside like Rose was given by Davies. At the moment an off form Chadli is still able to get in the team, hence we need more competition in that area.
I'm not sure he is off form - I think this is his form. Everything else has been a massive bonus.

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper summed it up pretty well.

Chadli is by no means a mediocre player. It's just that he isn't good enough to be a key a player in a team that is looking to break into top 4 just like 85% of the squad members. IMO his quality is on par with Syggy and Dempsey who would be well suited in teams like Villa, Swansea and West Ham.

Poch desperately wanted to get rid of him in Summer to bring Depay, unfortunately he refused to join to PSV and killed our chances of signing Depay.

He's average and a decent squad player at best and if some think he should be one of our important players in the future then we might as well be competing with West ham, Stoke and Newcastle for top 10 finish.

Chadli is by no means a mediocre player. It's just that he isn't good enough to be a key a player in a team that is looking to break into top 4 just like 85% of the squad members. IMO his quality is on par with Syggy and Dempsey who would be well suited in teams like Villa, Swansea and West Ham.

Poch desperately wanted to get rid of him in Summer to bring Depay, unfortunately he refused to join to PSV and killed our chances of signing Depay.

He's average and a decent squad player at best and if some think he should be one of our important players in the future then we might as well be competing with West ham, Stoke and Newcastle for top 10 finish.

Yeh he is very much fits and spirts as a player and if we are looking to get top four he is a good squad player but perhaps not first 11. In recent games him and Townsend did the double disappearing act and we looked so lightweight in the middle because of it, I think as Mick compared him to Dempsey it's the off the ball play that is worrying. We really need with our system a David Silva or Nasri type player to link and play between the lines as well as play clever in tight spaces, Chadli and Townsend don't offer that.

I am quietly confident that Pritchard will offer us a big improvement on Townsend, a more techical and intelligent footballer than Townsend but I really think we need another attacking midfielder of a higher quality to improve the first 11 and not let Kane get so isolated when the opposition puts 2 men on him.

Selling Sigurdsson was madness. :(

You guys are way off. His ball control is very good, he doesn't lose the ball and grant the opponents counter attacking opportunities like our other AMs, and yes, he does shield Rose. We very rarely have defensive problems on the left side nowadays, which is not due to Rose alone. He isn't that good of a defender.

Chadli also offers way more in terms of athletisism and box presence than the other AMs. To compare him to Dempsey and Sigurdsson is madnes.

He isn't involved as much as the others, but that's more of a strategic choice than anything else. He is playing the Rodriguez role. He's not looking to be our creator.

You guys are way off. His ball control is very good, he doesn't lose the ball and grant the opponents counter attacking opportunities like our other AMs, and yes, he does shield Rose. We very rarely have defensive problems on the left side nowadays, which is not due to Rose alone. He isn't that good of a defender.

Chadli also offers way more in terms of athletisism and box presence than the other AMs. To compare him to Dempsey and Sigurdsson is madnes.

He isn't involved as much as the others, but that's more of a strategic choice than anything else. He is playing the Rodriguez role. He's not looking to be our creator.
Sorry but I believe you to be wrong. See the last game again for examples of what he is or does.
I didn't compare him to either player, apart from to say he has the same happy knack as Dempsey of popping up to score goals, despite being total pony.
Sorry mate, but you are seeing things in his play that aren't evident to me.
I'm glad he makes you happy though, he doesn't have the same effect on me.
I don't really think he's crap, as such. I just think we could do a lot better.
If I had a choice of sending him to Swansea and getting Siggy back, I think I'd get Siggy - he scored as many goals, and worked for the team, and he did support the defence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom