Tottenham Hotspur v Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am perplexed what they did all week in preparation for this game. Free week, opportunity to work through issues & be 100% focused. Mantra being key; fight, aggression & if you can't win. Do not lose....

I am sure the plan was not "Walk out on the pitch, jog about a bit & collectively shit yourselves when a geezer who looks like David Luiz's disabled brother runs at you......"

90% of us could have picked that team yesterday and got absolutely raped by a team. That team also had Jones & Smalling as Centre Backs. No proper Right Back & a central midfielder at Left Back = 1 shot on target in 92 minutes play.

I am not sure where this rant is leading, but it's Monday, I'm on a tube, hung over with a week ahead of me surrounded by Liverpool & Woolwich Tossers I despise so maybe I am not in a chipper mood due to this & my football team being a joke I will have to suffer all week long !

& I am not melting by saying, based on performances since Woolwich @ home this team & coach really are letting themselves down, they are better than this past month

Last edited:
Hi Dixie. I don't continually slate Poch, when we do well I praise him, but when, like yesterday, we are poor, not to say embarrassing, I criticize him, if I feel it is justified. To me Poch got his team selection wrong, the tactics wrong, and in general he was part of a humiliation on Sky that I was not at all happy with.

I am feeling negative in general ATM, because what I could see happening in January when we didn't strengthen our squad is now coming to pass, and our season is now crumbling away into disappointment and relative failure. I am furious with Poch over the way he prepared us for the Chelsea final. Yes, we we were given a horrible situation with the Europa calendar, but he called it wrong and once again the season ends trophyless.

Fair comments. I can see the positives we have but seems to be an acceptance with many that it's now just ok that we build a mostly-academy product and cheap transfer team for 3-4years and, that it's ok to just be 6th and lose in a final during that time and that's our level.

Ok let's not blame Poch and young players if that's where we're at but, as a club, is that really acceptable? Do we pay academy ticket prices, watch terrestrial TV only, all walk to games and get given free merchandise?

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Now calmed down and in a reflective mode, key points for me yesterday was the lack of fight and leadership we had on the pitch. We made Utd look good and they were doing was lumping the ball into Fellani, hardly rocket science to work out, yet none of our team worked it out.......they kept on making the same mistakes.

Walker had by far his worst perfomance in a Spurs shirt. Great player on his day, but as above him and Vertonghan as the senior players should hve understood what was happening and got Dier, Mason and Bentelab better organised.

I am still confused over what Chadli actually does? Eriksen was chasing shadows as well, great players go and get the ball and make things happen, Eriksen did neither of these yesterday. Chadli has had a tough few weeks but needs to start finding some form, the goal against Swansea aside, he is a passenger at the moment.

But to be fair as someone has said, Walker has not had a pre season and Mason, Bentelab, Dier are all young and need leadership out there and yesterday it was missing.

Our support was the nuts again, pity some of our players cant match their performance, their home support was edgy at the start and if we had gone in front then who knows........

Finally, Danny Rose, I have not been his biggest fan, but he was quality yesterday and along with Kane appeared to be the only one berating team mates, actually lookin frsutrated and giving a fuck......keep it going Danny.

Think we have an issue working between the lines sometimes, Eriksen, Townsend and Chadli got seriously bullied yesterday, and thus we were unable to retain possession to either attack or stop Man United attacking us in waves. I think this is why we need a Schniederlin, a Cabaye a top class passer essentially who can dictate and slow the game down. Carrick tore us a new one yesterday and with a young manager and young players we are sometimes vunerable to this kind of composed game, their experience shone through and our naivity was clear to see.

Kind of surprised United didn't try this before, 4-5-1 with Rooney up top and playing all their best passers, moving the ball like during Fergie's reign instead of just sideways passing and hoofing to Felanini, it's as if Van Gaal watched a few of United's old matches and thought I'll have some of that. Typical Man United should find their mojo and best side against us and not Woolwich last week when they still had their strange tactics that made no sense.

My real concern though is how teams seem to have worked out the importance of Kane to us. Chelsea and now Man United simply made sure when he got the ball 2,3 even 4 men swarm on him. This in theory should leave the likes of Chadli and Eriksen more room but they don't seem to have used the space well enough. It was a bad day all round but in recent games I have been annoyed at Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend, they all seem very off form (well maybe not Townsend this is his normal level). It seems you cut Kane out and you stop Spurs.

Think we have an issue working between the lines sometimes, Eriksen, Townsend and Chadli got seriously bullied yesterday, and thus we were unable to retain possession to either attack or stop Man United attacking us in waves. I think this is why we need a Schniederlin, a Cabaye a top class passer essentially who can dictate and slow the game down. Carrick tore us a new one yesterday and with a young manager and young players we are sometimes vunerable to this kind of composed game, their experience shone through and our naivity was clear to see.

Kind of surprised United didn't try this before, 4-5-1 with Rooney up top and playing all their best passers, moving the ball like during Fergie's reign instead of just sideways passing and hoofing to Felanini, it's as if Van Gaal watched a few of United's old matches and thought I'll have some of that. Typical Man United should find their mojo and best side against us and not Woolwich last week when they still had their strange tactics that made no sense.

My real concern though is how teams seem to have worked out the importance of Kane to us. Chelsea and now Man United simply made sure when he got the ball 2,3 even 4 men swarm on him. This in theory should leave the likes of Chadli and Eriksen more room but they don't seem to have used the space well enough. It was a bad day all round but in recent games I have been annoyed at Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend, they all seem very off form (well maybe not Townsend this is his normal level). It seems you cut Kane out and you stop Spurs.

Exactly. And this is where we fucked up big time in the January TW. If you are not going to play Ade or Soldado, then you cannot expect Kane to do it all on his own. Cannot wait until the summer now where we get rid of shit and bring in (hopefully) a nice quality striker, or two.

So our manager is not actually doing fuck all then?

Of the top 6 our wage bill has increased 30% over the past 2 years yet we've gone backwards..... Triffic.
10% of that wage bill is all on two shit strikers that he had no part in signing. Give him another season and you'll see the best of him. LVG is also in his first season and Utd are 3 places below their wage bill. Chelsea have the winning machine in charge. David Brent is in his third season. Whinger has been there since time immemorial. Get off the guys back FFS

As somebody else mentions, how Fazio doesn't play to handle Felaini is a huge mistake by Poch. It's not hindsight, it's been apparent he's been their most effective outlet for a while, even Big Fat Sam called their long ball game out. Dembele should've started to press Carrick further up and would've been better at holding onto the ball for us too.

It's all been there to see previously in games and we DID have options in our squad to deal with this!!!!

Credit where it's due is fine but why deny there were these errors?

Admittedly the goals were very very soft again. I'd say you can't legislate for that but we're conceding tons of them so, something inherently wrong with concentration or 'safety first' in certain areas needs to be addressed.

Exactly. And this is where we fucked up big time in the January TW. If you are not going to play Ade or Soldado, then you cannot expect Kane to do it all on his own. Cannot wait until the summer now where we get rid of shit and bring in (hopefully) a nice quality striker, or two.

Deja-vu. Doubtful.

I said that last summer and in the Jan window but most people seemed quite happy at the time even though our issues were obvious. Can't go around saying Poch it's your fault, I mean most of us would have played that team yesterday or something similar (Dembele/Fazio aside), you have to provide him with the tools, United looked so superior in passing yesterday and there is no hiding from that. I really hope we have a good summer and as you say clear out the shit.

Agree with the above posts, As well as Fazio, I would have started Dembele, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Dembele played well and retained possession but once again he gets the near the opposition box and wants to go sideways!
Good point on Kane, the amount of times when he was tackled or marked by two or three players reminded me of Bale, pity like then, that our other players are not taking advantage of this

Agree with the above posts, As well as Fazio, I would have started Dembele, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Dembele played well and retained possession but once again he gets the near the opposition box and wants to go sideways!
Good point on Kane, the amount of times when he was tackled or marked by two or three players reminded me of Bale, pity like then, that our other players are not taking advantage of this

It's becoming obvious what big teams will do with us, put everyone on Kane because they know Chadli and Townsend ain't good enough and Eriksen can be easily bullied. In the summer we need to buy well so that they can't do this anymore and we have more than one really dangerous player up top.

Now calmed down and in a reflective mode, key points for me yesterday was the lack of fight and leadership we had on the pitch. We made Utd look good and they were doing was lumping the ball into Fellani, hardly rocket science to work out, yet none of our team worked it out.......they kept on making the same mistakes.

Walker had by far his worst perfomance in a Spurs shirt. Great player on his day, but as above him and Vertonghan as the senior players should hve understood what was happening and got Dier, Mason and Bentelab better organised.

I am still confused over what Chadli actually does? Eriksen was chasing shadows as well, great players go and get the ball and make things happen, Eriksen did neither of these yesterday. Chadli has had a tough few weeks but needs to start finding some form, the goal against Swansea aside, he is a passenger at the moment.

But to be fair as someone has said, Walker has not had a pre season and Mason, Bentelab, Dier are all young and need leadership out there and yesterday it was missing.

Our support was the nuts again, pity some of our players cant match their performance, their home support was edgy at the start and if we had gone in front then who knows........

Finally, Danny Rose, I have not been his biggest fan, but he was quality yesterday and along with Kane appeared to be the only one berating team mates, actually lookin frsutrated and giving a fuck......keep it going Danny.

I know this is a wild stab in the dark... but you know how we have the YOUNGEST squad in the history of football ever at the moment, average age 123/4 ...and how great that is...?

Reckon there's any chance some of the younger ones could've actually been overawed at the prospect of playing at OT/Anfield/Stamford Bridge/Etihad/Wembley this season?
Now they've got it out of their systems (and their signed Rooney Boxing gloves no doubt) we can remain unbeaten up there and ANYWHERE for many years to come!!

Just a thought!!

Last edited:
10% of that wage bill is all on two shit strikers that he had no part in signing. Give him another season and you'll see the best of him. LVG is also in his first season and Utd are 3 places below their wage bill. Chelsea have the winning machine in charge. David Brent is in his third season. Whinger has been there since time immemorial. Get off the guys back FFS

I'm not wanting him sacked, I'm pointing out that posting that table means fuck all with regards to justifying our league position.

6th and a Cup Final is not our acceptable level, but it certainly is an acceptable result in a manager's first season, especially given the inexperience and age of the first team.

Saying we should be happy with 6th this year is not the same as saying we should settle for 6th every year.

(Unless, of course, we change our manager every year... :levyeyes: )

We build ourselves up, players get cocky, we decide to play opposite to how others get results against manu (play compact).
Too spursy for my liking. I'm sure poch got another lesson and i'm sure there are a couple of double sessions this week - no more escapes to Spain for rest.

We build ourselves up, players get cocky, we decide to play opposite to how others get results against manu (play compact).
Too spursy for my liking. I'm sure poch got another lesson and i'm sure there are a couple of double sessions this week - no more escapes to Spain for rest.

Good point, we certainly looked stretched most of the time and a more compact game would have suited yesterday. Need to be more flexible next time.

Roll on next season when Poco has the chance to rearrange the status Quo, get rid of the deadwood is paramount, retain the youth that are showing us value.
His methods are proving that getting the right players on side will produce winners on the pitch, but we do need a blend of experience and youth to create match winning performances.
Playing with somebody else's train set has meant certain players are surplus to requirements,but hope poco is given TIME to mould his stamp on our great club COYS

I said that last summer and in the Jan window but most people seemed quite happy at the time even though our issues were obvious. Can't go around saying Poch it's your fault, I mean most of us would have played that team yesterday or something similar (Dembele/Fazio aside), you have to provide him with the tools, United looked so superior in passing yesterday and there is no hiding from that. I really hope we have a good summer and as you say clear out the shit.
Melt

Back
Top Bottom