Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does anyone know what the situ is with Dembele?

Think Capoue was looking a little sharper today and if Kaboul can stay fit that might just shore up the defence.

I think he was just a bit tired. Played the full 90 against Everton (IIRC) and was dead on his feet. Was a correct substitute for me.

Im a big Dawson fan, but Kaboul and Verts paired up together were impressive tonight. Kaboul pushed up quite a bit and got into some good positions with a couple of decent runs too. Would like to see him stay fit and feature alot more in a rotation policy, especially with our Europa games coming up.

Capoue did his job just fine today, glad he did well as the last few times i'd seen him I was less than impressed.

Really looking forward to the Norwich game now. Onwards and upwards as the underdogs, feels good doesnt it? :freundgoal:

I agree.

My problem with Sherwood is still this "holding midfielders don't exist" shit. It's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard, and game by game he's going against his theory.

Bentaleb was billed as the answer to having a holding midfielder - he isn't at all, the boy is a pivot or attacking midfielder.

I hope we can now move on from Sherwood holding ridiculous principles and picking players not on merit just to prove a point.

The thing is the whole no holding midfielders thing has been massively overblown.

1) Sherwood never said it. Ferdinand did. Sure they are probably somewhat on the same page but quoting Sherwood as "holding midfielders don't exist" is erroneous.

2) What Ferdinand said was, "I don’t like holding midfield players, I like players to understand that if one goes forward, the other one tucks in for them. I don’t want someone who just sits in front of the back four and doesn’t go anywhere, but that’s just my own personal view."
"‘Fernandinho’s scoring goals. Why? Because he’s a holding player? No. They’ve just got an understanding, “If he goes, he’ll hold, and if I go he’ll hold.

It's pretty clear they don't hate midfielders playing defensively just that they don't want a player sitting in front of the back four doing fuck all besides staying there. When Capoue is fit he has more in his locker and I do think Sherwood and company realize that.

3) It's pretty clear that Capoue is not fully fit at the moment. They said it on the podcast this week and I agree— he looks fat. Guy needs to get fit again and hopefully today was the first step. He had a great second half today.

I think he was just a bit tired. Played the full 90 against Everton (IIRC) and was dead on his feet. Was a correct substitute for me.

Agreed. His play deteriorated exponentially in the Everton game and he was shielding less and less of the ball (his best attribute). Combine that with playing as a pseudo-winger three days later, he was bound to be exhausted regardless of fitness. I'm sure he's delighted with the 11 days off after he's been so heavily utilized under Sherwood.

1901723_657572824288887_1019014032_n.jpg

Is it wrong of me to find this hilarious..

@ RickyTFC RickyTFC what were you doing at goodison?

Oh Oh.... I'm coming to NC in two weeks, hope the weather improves by then!!!! Mind you, its not that great here, parts of the country are under water and we are currently being blown to pieces here. Crazy weather
Ah Mrs P: I can offer you 42C in the shade over here but I think you might pass!

I agree.

My problem with Sherwood is still this "holding midfielders don't exist" shit. It's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard, and game by game he's going against his theory.

Bentaleb was billed as the answer to having a holding midfielder - he isn't at all, the boy is a pivot or attacking midfielder.

I hope we can now move on from Sherwood holding ridiculous principles and picking players not on merit just to prove a point.
isn't it refreshing that TS is willing to change his ideas (develope into the role), match to match. Wasn't 'holding ridiculous principles' a criticism and downfall of AVB?

Oh Oh.... I'm coming to NC in two weeks, hope the weather improves by then!!!! Mind you, its not that great here, parts of the country are under water and we are currently being blown to pieces here. Crazy weather
I'll be down there in 2 weeks as well. Just north of Charlotte, and possibly visiting Asheville. I was hoping it'd be nicer than it is in Philadelphia. :paulinhowtf:

The thing is the whole no holding midfielders thing has been massively overblown.

1) Sherwood never said it. Ferdinand did. Sure they are probably somewhat on the same page but quoting Sherwood as "holding midfielders don't exist" is erroneous.

2) What Ferdinand said was, "I don’t like holding midfield players, I like players to understand that if one goes forward, the other one tucks in for them. I don’t want someone who just sits in front of the back four and doesn’t go anywhere, but that’s just my own personal view."
"‘Fernandinho’s scoring goals. Why? Because he’s a holding player? No. They’ve just got an understanding, “If he goes, he’ll hold, and if I go he’ll hold.

It's pretty clear they don't hate midfielders playing defensively just that they don't want a player sitting in front of the back four doing fuck all besides staying there. When Capoue is fit he has more in his locker and I do think Sherwood and company realize that.

3) It's pretty clear that Capoue is not fully fit at the moment. They said it on the podcast this week and I agree— he looks fat. Guy needs to get fit again and hopefully today was the first step. He had a great second half today.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom