Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man of the match Aaron Lennon for me.

I was very critical of him after the Everton game but since then he has gone on to prove me wrong. We are starting to gel going forward now, for the first time we are creating chances and looking like the old Tottenham. Bit of luck in front of goal today we'd have scored 4 or 5.

Well done AVB and the lads, 3 points off the Scousers who are 2nd and we play them at the Lane next Sunday. What a fucking game that will be - COYS!

A great and deserved win, tremendous performance against the odds, we had a whole back four injured and still won away from home.

Much praise to Naughton for stepping up and playing out of position and doing a good job, and delighted to see Cap filling in brilliantly.

Special praise for Daws, the man so many Spurs fans want out of the team, so lucky for us he's staying and doing his job, and the people who want him out aren't getting their wish.

I'm on record as saying we've no realistic chance of top 4, and 6th is about our upper limit this season. Beat Liverpool and I'll get to thinking I'm wrong, naturally I hope i am and we make 4th and CL.:coys::coys::coys:

What a brilliant week, Spurs winning twice, West Ham losing twice. Hope Sunderland can turn their season around now, starting at Downton Park :)

tumblr_mxgfca6fo21r8e765o1_400.gif

tumblr_mxgfca6fo21r8e765o6_400.gif

One more thing ...
Although our performance deserved three points, we can't argue Lady Luck not helping us out.

Any other ref or day, and that handball on Sandro would've been a penalty ... and thus possibly only a point attained.

Half our subs bench could walk into Manure's starting 11. [Lamela,Sandro,Townsend]:avblol:
A subs bench without the likes on Vertonghen, Vlad and Eriksen. :eriksenlol:
And apparently we in crisis?!? :avbfacepalm::avbfu:

Well done for saying (seeing) it as it is. I'm enjoying the victory as everybody else.
Good performance but reality check is needed?

Reality check for what? We've had 2.5 good performances out of the last three after getting walloped and are three points off second.

Things are rounding into form and our football looks so much better. Just need to start finishing.

And if we'd played the spaniard he would have done nothing and we'd say it was because we didnt create anything for him.

My original point still stands.

We need penalties to win when slow dud doh plays.

Jesus, really? Is this what we've resorted to?

Second week in a row AVB has changed up his tactics to good effort, allowing more space and thus permitting the team to display better attacking movement, so for the second week in a row I give him credit.

And again, Walker has another brilliant game with Lennon (who also brilliant) on the right in front of him.

For me, the right side picks itself....really dont want to see that changed next week.

have you watched him play at all? I come from a liverpool supporting family so have seen most of the pooll games this season.suarez truly is a 1 man team currently.

The scousers were playing well before he came back too, They are a very dangerous outfit with a much improved defense a very hardworking combative midfield and some very good attacking talents and the then best player in the league. Will be a very big test for us getting a result against them.

Just to state where I stand on Dawson - he is a very good defender who certainly has his place in the squad. He has many strengths as well as weaknesses, like any defender. Against slower, more physical attackers, he is still more than capable, but top class strikers do give him the run around more often than not. But who doesn't struggle against Aguero, Suarez, Rooney - they're top players for a reason!
I don't think he particularly suits AVB's high line, as he tends to drop 5 yards deeper than the other defenders, which is in part anticipation (and you'd be surprised how many chances he cuts out doing this) and I think also to make up for his lack of pace, though the emphasis on his failings in this area (speed) is ridiculous. If anyone thinks the key to success is two quick centre backs, they're wrong. Plain and simple. I know he has other faults, but that seems to be the trait he is picked out for most. Mertesacker couldn't be slower if his face was anchored to the centre spot, but they look pretty solid at the back.
His ball playing skills could be better, but he has never been great on the ball, and he has not always had such criticism. I don't think he is worse than he has been for the last few years, and he's been as consistent/inconcistent as anyone this season.
Conclusion - if all are fit, he's probably my 4th choice. But he's a bloody good 4th choice, and very capable when needed to step in. I can't think of any other team that has 4 central defenders that I'd swap for ours.
One thing he cannot be accused of, is not giving 100%. I have never seen him look disinterested or unpassionate, which cannot be said for many of our players.
He sets an example, and a few of our players (old and new) could do themselves a favour by following that example.

Oh, and his Hollywood passes NEED to stop!
Daws error v Fulham was not good.I'm sure he will raise his game against Livpool
It wasn't good, but it wasn't the only error in the game either. I saw plenty of players make errors, but Dawson is being used as a scapegoat lately. Lloris has been FAR worse overall in the last 4 league games.

suarez has more talent than dawson in his left nut...sick off the dawson fanboys on here sucking daws of cause his the captain and a so called tottenham legend...dawson is killing us and when we get a proper LB ill be glad to see the back of him
But UNTIL we have a fit left back, we're lucky to have someone of Dawson's ability and experience to step in. As I've said above, not many teams have the same depth we do.
I agree that he isn't always a great choice - for instance I will worry if he is named next week against Suarez - but I think in his current form, Suarez is capable of making any of our defenders look shit. Rose, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Vlad - none of them will single-handedly be able to stop him if he is on top of his game.
What we require at the back is balance and organisation. Dawson is capable of fitting into that, providing we get the line-up and tactics right.

He makes mistakes, but he does a lot right as well. I feel he doesn't get credit when it's due.

Back
Top Bottom