Tottingham Hotspur vs Stoke RUFC 29.12.13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, I think there is some truth to that. Not just that we are fearfull and nervous, but the opposition are often quite relaxed. They know we probably won't score against them if they pack their defence and this gives them confidence. You compare that to other big teams and the opposition get nervous because even with a packed defence they know they will likely conceed. I agree that it is good having Rose and Ade back. Although Lamela needs some coaching and does still need to toughen up, he should play because he does cause a threat and can make the opposition quite nervous - we need to do more of that, as it helps not only create chances for us but take the pressure of our own defence.
Players need to take chances with theIr movement. Rose is a good example of a player getting forward and making posative things happen. Lamela needs to take note. I agree regarding bus parking. There are ways to combat it. Bale / play through it / get behind the full backs out wide. Lamela could be our saviour if he gets his game together.

I understand our pitch is smaller than most these days . Could this be a factor with our home form, whereas away we can cover more ground and open up games? I am aware of the cliches of playing home / away.

I expect:
Lloris
Walker - Dawson - Chiriches - Rose
Chadli - Holtby - Eriksen - Lamela
Adebayor - Soldado

I hope and want, based on fit players
Lloris
Walker - Dawson - Chiriches - Rose
------------------Sandro
--------Lamela - Holtby - Chadli
-------------------Eriksen
-------------------Soldado

Bentaleb should start, he deserves to. As does Fredericks. If it's deemed necessary to play Cap, there's room for him too.

Bentaleb deserves to start after having played one very good game? It seems to me, Eriksen + one other midfield is there. Sandro/Capoue/Paulinho deserve it a lot more than him, imo. Fredericks deserves to start? He played, what, 30 minutes? Who does Fredericks start over? Walker, our best player so far? Rose, hugely missed when absent and whose injury was a major role in the firing of our last manager?

i'm thinking your preferred 11:

Lloris
Fredericks - Dawson - Dawson - Rose
Chadli - Bentaleb - Capoue - Lamela
Adebayor - Soldado

I'm guessing at that?

Bentaleb deserves to start after having played one very good game? It seems to me, Eriksen + one other midfield is there. Sandro/Capoue/Paulinho deserve it a lot more than him, imo. Fredericks deserves to start? He played, what, 30 minutes? Who does Fredericks start over? Walker, our best player so far? Rose, hugely missed when absent and whose injury was a major role in the firing of our last manager?

Lloris
Adebayor - Soldado

I'm guessing at that?

Walker is suspended.

We have a squad of established internationals but yeah let's play Fredericks and Bentaleb. It's cringeworthy.

We have a squad of established internationals but yeah let's play Fredericks and Bentaleb. It's cringeworthy.

Agree regarding Bentaleb but I'm pretty sure regarding Fredericks he's up against (established international?) Kyle Naughton.

Agree regarding Bentaleb but I'm pretty sure regarding Fredericks he's up against (established international?) Kyle Naughton.

Fair enough but at least Naughton has been capped 9 times at u21 level. Smith may be registered after this match so he would be more deserving at least.

what makes you think the to young uns deserve to start!... have you seen anything more than the cameo's bentalebs played so far as with fredericks against the pub side in the Europa league.
what makes you think the to young uns deserve to start!... have you seen anything more than the cameo's bentalebs played so far as with fredericks against the pub side in the Europa league.
Nope - i've seen nothing more than their first team appearances and they're good enough for me.

Lloris
Adebayor - Soldado

I'm guessing at that?
Wouldn't be a bad guess - It'd certainly be a lot better than the Dawson Vlad combo many are picking. Daws is a lot better than Vlad ATM, shame we can't clone our captain.

And yep Bentaleb deserves to start because twice he has come on and improved the team, and looks a very promising player.

BTW I'd probably play Eriksen instead of Chadli in that line up.

I would definitely play Lloris Fredericks Dawson Rose Bentaleb and at least one of Ade/Soldado. The rest I'm not sure about, but it wouldn't include Vlad who needs to be rested and I don't see why so many people are picking a player massively out of form, who is clearly playing despite being injured.

BTW -As others have pointed out, Walker is suspended, hence my call for Fredericks.

Re the CB beside Daws, the obvious answer is Cap, but against Stoke its best to have some aerial presence, which Cap lacks. So maybe if one of the youngsters like 'Velcro' are good at heading the ball, give them a chance. I don't know enough to say yea or nay on that. Good luck to Tim on that one. What I do know is Vlad shouldn't be starting ATM.

Last edited:

It's worrying that too many people want to bring the youngsters in so suddenly. It's such a risk confidence wise for the future.

Besides, what's this "deserve" stuff about?

I think I deserve to get my knob sucked by Halle Berry but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Minimal change. Lets get some consistancy. Same team as WBA with only forced changes.
Paulinho has to play replace Holtby. I would move Chadli to RB and start Lamela wide. Youngsters are better coming into an establish team. I would accept and like to see Naughton at RB, he deserves a shot.

Back
Top Bottom