We can be heroes (again) Ajax versus Tottenham Hotspur CL Semi Final Wed 8th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On our current run of form it is hard to see us picking up a result from this game. Hopefully I am proven wrong.

The Bournemouth result could have been very different had Lucas put away the 2 or 3 goal chances in the first half; so that offers some encouragement that we can create chances.

On paper, our starting 11 should beat them. We need to take our time, control the pace of the game and put away the chances when we get them. The slightest hint of panic and we will crumble. I am not convinced Ajax will be able to defend a lead without giving up chances; so this could be another high scoring fixture. I am predicting 2-2.

Lloris
Trips - Toby - Jan - Rose
Wanyama - Sissoko
Alli - Eriksen - Moura
Son

The doom and gloom has been lifted, the concerns have gone, we don’t have to save ourselves for Sunday.. With all that in mind we need to go all out and restore some pride and give the fans something to smile about again.
We can do this, we need to be strong both physically and mentally, we will never have a better chance of getting to a CL final, chances like this don’t happen too often. Let’s see how much the big time means to these players.

Let’s make history.. COYS!!!!!

I am quietly confident about the Ajax game. Reason is they won their Cup final and are emotionally high. Yes, we have been so shit, and have a slim chance of qualification, and everything has gone wrong for us. They will underestimate us if by some miracle we do turn up and show how we know we can play deep down. Mentality wise before the game it's about winging it and saying fuckit, we're underdogs, with nothing to lose. I'd take 2-1 to Spurs - that scoreline is something positive for all the players to aim for. It is a benefit to have a defined specific objective and know we have to attack.

Once we are in the game itself, if they score first, it does not matter. If we score early, we can get another in the first 25 minutes, and defend a 2-0 lead and pass on the counter til the death. Basically, the quicker we score, then the more we are in the game. The longer it is 0-0, the more their away goal counts. Even if we are 2-0 down at half time, we know we have to say fuckit and score three. 3-3 is the same as 3-2 on aggregate.

Last edited:
After what Wanyama did on the corner kick against Bournemouth I’m not sure he deserves to start. Dier clearly isn’t in condition to start.

Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Davies
Eriksen Sissoko Alli
Lucas Son Rose

I think this is the best we can do. I see some talk about Aurier but the guy has been injured for months, it would be crazy to start him in a game like this.

You mean like this:

If you think our defending there was as bad as Willem II's, you've not watched football for very long.

2 players left unmarked in the box is peak Dutch football. I can see why Janssen scored so many goals in that league.

I just want Ajax to get overwhelmed by the occasion and fall apart. We haven't given anyone a good tonking for some time now - a good tonking is required.

TONK'EM YOU SPUUUUURS.

Get in their faces.

Even though Llorente battered them in the air I think we play better when he comes from the bench.

Lloris
KWP Alde Jan Rose
Sissoko Dier
Lucas Alli Eriksen
Son
Skipp instead of Dier. Initially, I think we don't need two carthorses in midfield, we need at least one quick, energetic, sharp player who can track back quickly, if they break on us. Bring Dier on during the 2nd half, if we're winning.
Davies if JV can't play. He took one hell of a smash, so he might be a bit fragile to be at the top of his game.

Skipp instead of Dier. Initially, I think we don't need two carthorses in midfield, we need at least one quick, energetic, sharp player who can track back quickly, if they break on us. Bring Dier on during the 2nd half, if we're winning.
Davies if JV can't play. He took one hell of a smash, so he might be a bit fragile to be at the top of his game.
I agree about Jan taking a big knock but something tells me there is no way he is going to miss this.

Semi final against his old club and we are still in the tie? Nothing else to play for this season so I reckon he will play.

As far as the match as a whole goes, we have shown in one off games this season that we can be a quality side, even with out Kane. The result for me just depends on which spurs side turns up.

I do think we are capable of bullying them if Poch sets us up right from the off this time. Let’s hope for a magical European night, make it physical, crowd midfield and press the fuck out of these school boys.

We’ve played our best football over the years in a 4-2-3-1. I’m not sure why we’ve essentially stopped playing that...

I know injuries etc etc. But honestly. Son is dangerous cutting in from the wing. Alli is more effective further forward. As is Eriksen.

Given what’s at our disposal.

Lloris

Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Dier Wanyama
Eriksen Dele Son
Llorente

Use Lucas when the start tiring for maybe Dier or Wanyama and move Eriksen back a bit. Use the Spanish crouch to bring DES into the game - it’s a fact that Ajax didn’t like it in the air. Exploit it.

But you know, I’m not the manager.

We’re going to do to them what Juve did to us last season. We scored 2 away goals, had the lead at home and apparently played all the football over the two legs.
We got nothing from that tie except valuable experience

We’ve played our best football over the years in a 4-2-3-1. I’m not sure why we’ve essentially stopped playing that...

I know injuries etc etc. But honestly. Son is dangerous cutting in from the wing. Alli is more effective further forward. As is Eriksen.

Given what’s at our disposal.

Lloris

Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Dier Wanyama
Eriksen Dele Son
Llorente

Use Lucas when the start tiring for maybe Dier or Wanyama and move Eriksen back a bit. Use the Spanish crouch to bring DES into the game - it’s a fact that Ajax didn’t like it in the air. Exploit it.

But you know, I’m not the manager.
2 slow lumbering cart horses in central midfield?
Are you on the sauce early my son or too much hows your father ?
Sissoko is playing better by a million miles and adds the tenacious bull dog spirit of Corporal Jones.
"They dont like it up them ! "

If you think our defending there was as bad as Willem II's, you've not watched football for very long.

2 players left unmarked in the box is peak Dutch football. I can see why Janssen scored so many goals in that league.

First of all it's the 0-3, Willem II already surrendered, in the first 30 min. they played pretty decent.

Secondly half your team is from the Eredivisie (incl. Dembele), two of which are defenders who played many years in NL. Just like many players in the EPL by the way.

Back
Top Bottom