What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree about Vertigo. Great book.

For non-Spurs related books I recommend "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks and "Up Pohnpei" by Paul Watson are a good read.

And finally, slightly different type of book, but still really interesting is "Why England Lose" by Simon Kupar & Stefan Szymanski. Basically if you've read or heard of "Freakonomics" it's the same idea, just applied to football.

Cripps14 said:
I agree about Vertigo. Great book.

For non-Spurs related books I recommend "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks and "Up Pohnpei" by Paul Watson are a good read.

And finally, slightly different type of book, but still really interesting is "Why England Lose" by Simon Kupar & Stefan Szymanski. Basically if you've read or heard of "Freakonomics" it's the same idea, just applied to football.
In America, that book is called "Soccernomics" and you're right, it's great.

Has anyone read the book on Robert Enke (A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke)?

How about Bill Nicholson: Football's Perfectionist?

I also thought inverting the pyramid was really interesting.

tony cascarino's book is quite a page turner, and very honest.

A lot of my favourite football books have already been mentioned, wanted to also give a shout to Left Foot Forward/Left Foot In The Grave by journeyman football Garry Nelson. Humorous and honest diary of an old lag.

Vertigo by John Crace was superb, finished that recently.

Finished Car Fever by James May last night (the chap makes me chuckle).

Started Massive Attack by Trevor Tanner last night (curiosity to be honest)

Read a few interesting ones over the last few months. Vertigo, Glory Game, inverting the Pyramid, and Ajax: the Dutch, the War were the standout ones.

Kotten said:
Has anyone read Sicknote's autobiography? Thinking about ordering it.

I haven't but a good mate from Bournemouth bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it! (he only bought it for the Bournemouth bits though so I'm not sure what the Tottenham bits are like, I doubt he would have as high an opinion about us).

Last football related book I read was Alan Sugar's autobiography. The Spurs chapters provided some really great insight but the majority of the book is just him saying how big his dick is in the business world (still a decent read though if you are stuck on a plane etc.).

Read the first 60 odd pages of the double, so far it's covered push and run, Blanchflower from his youth upwards, Rowe, Nicholson. Blanchflower was so articulate for a footballer. I never realised he very nearly joined the scum.

Spurs Miscellany is a good book, I personally have a first edition hand signed by Steve Perryman, yeah be jealous.

Im reading 'Bounce: The Myth Of Talent And The Power Of Practice'

Really good thus far, so interesting. I always believed in the "he/she was born so naturally talented" but reading this has completely changed me. Would really recommend this! :)

A Season with Verona was good, although I know some people hated it.

T, if you want The Glory Game remind me before the West Brom game and I'll bring it along. Excellent read.

Back
Top Bottom