What was the first game you went to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Southampton 0 Tottenham 2 (Waddle, Nayim)

25 February 1989

The weather was dreadful and remember Waddle's goal well. Ball got played through and got stuck in the mud, keeper in no mans land and he chipped it over him from about 35 yards.

The main moment of note though was me and my old man were in row 1 right next to the dugouts. At one point the ball came to us, my dad passed it to me and I chucked it back to Mitchell Thomas.

My dad had to reassure me this didn't happen every game and 30 years later its never happened again.

Well, when I saw Spurs the first time I wasn't too fond of a certain english club. My club in Austria was bought by Red Bull (twunts), so I stopped following them, and with the newly founded original team I never felt the same connection.
In 2007 I went on a trip to London with friends to watch a few games and I instantly fell in love with Spurs.
The game was the league cup against Blackpool, on the 31.10.2007. We won 2-0, goals by Keane and Chimbonda. I was in the shelf immediately felt a deep connection to the club, as I admired the self-irony of the fan base as well as the Lane itself. Since then Spurs are my team and basically it's the only team I follow/watch games. Since then many visits to the Lane followed and the connection deepened with every time I was there.

COYS

My first wouldn't have been spurs it would have been in the mid-late 80's, Israeli (old) Second Division. Thomas D'Alessandro - Haifa Workers' Council Stadium

KiryatHaim.jpg

It had one small terrace on the western part and an engulfing grass\mud heaps around the rest. record attendance 20K.

The stadium is still open today as you can't build on the ground with old British oil lines from Iraq going under it.

fun fact: even though it was the home of my team (Hapoel Haifa) the only title won there was the national league by the local rivals Maccabi.
In 84 after a scandal in the supposed promotion match supporters rioted and burned 50 cars in the parking lot.

30 th march 1968.. stood on the lower shelf .. my first game but deemed old enough that day by my eldest brother.
Youngest of 4 boys all at the game ..we met dad and my uncle henry outside woolworths on stamford hill when they finished there saturday morning shift which in them days part of the working week
Spurs 5 -0 burnley
Jimmy greaves scored twice.mike england ..cliff jones and terry venables..

Sure I've already done this, but here goes. November 1969 v Sheffield Wednesday, won 1-0, Roger Morgan with the winner. Do not think he scored many, but don't remember much of the game TBH, but I do recall walking into the ground for the first time, took my breath away and straight away felt at home. Greaves' last season and Stevie's first. I was thirteen and next month will be my 50th anniversary.

Last edited:
19 April 1968: Spurs 1 v 0 West Ham (Greaves), attendance 50,970.

I was in the NW corner of the Paxton Upper with my dad and some of his (mostly Spammer) mates from work. I can still remember the goal and the bus journey there and back. I can't remember much else of anything that's happened in the last 50 years though.

Spurs v Oxford, April 1987. We won 3-1 and Hoddle scored his last goal for Spurs in the last minute (incredible goal it was too!)

I found some extended highlights of it on Youtube. I'd seen the Hoddle goal countless times but never the full highlights.

Watching this back I'm surpised how many empty seats there are, considering it was Clive Allen's 49 goal season, we finished 3rd in the league, League Cup semi-finalists (after those infamous games against the scum) and were FA Cup runners up.

Spurs v Oxford, April 1987. We won 3-1 and Hoddle scored his last goal for Spurs in the last minute (incredible goal it was too!)

I found some extended highlights of it on Youtube. I'd seen the Hoddle goal countless times but never the full highlights.

Watching this back I'm surpised how many empty seats there are, considering it was Clive Allen's 49 goal season, we finished 3rd in the league, League Cup semi-finalists (after those infamous games against the scum) and were FA Cup runners up.

That was an amazing goal.
You couldn't make it up :)

Not the earliest on here but I was quite young and my Cousin who was a few years older took me and we sat near the front in the Park Lane. Standing terrace underneath in those days. Early on we got a corner and Maurice Norman went up and I turned to my cousin who was not a supporter to tell him to watch him. The ball went straight to Norman who headed it in. We won 3-2.

This is a good a place as any to post this - today is my 50th anniversary of my first game at the Lane, the only time in my life I have experienced love at first sight
😍

Back
Top Bottom