What was the first game you went to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

April 15th 1963 was when I lost my heart to this club (8 years old). Spurs vs Liverpool and guess the score....another 7-2 but in our favour this time :thumbup: . Jimmy Greaves scored four that day and became my idol. A few legends on the pitch then, Greaves,Mackay, White, Hunt and Yeats. Three Welshmen on the pitch too, Mel Hopkins and Cliff Jones for us and Allan Jones for the scousers.
A magical moment with the whole world (well so it seemed to me) a sea of Spurs supporters singing and cheering. Two of the greatest managers head to head, Nicholson and Shankly. Happy Days.....

I got locked out at that game. You bastard.

1989/90 vs City at home. 1-1. Will never forget the walk up to WHL and the noise of the crowd, the sight of full, compact terraces. Instant intoxication with Spurs and my Dad took me to pretty much every home game afterwards.

Sorry but for all its epic construction, NWHL does not come close to the old girl.

First away match was QPR same season.

Spurs v wolves semi final replay

1981 at Highbury
3-0
My cousin took me and we got tickets off a tout outside for the wolves end.
Loved all the wolves fans crying at the end.

COYS
I went that game too. There were, I assume, Woolwich fans throwing stones into the ground. Saw a Spurs fan covered in blood.

I went to the first game at Hillsborough. It was so packed it was unbelievable. Really dangerous. They put Spurs fans in the Wolves end and sat them around the pitch - it was that crowded. Don't know why they carried on playing semis there. I was a kid and thought it was really dangerous. Why didn't the FA realise this ?

Did anyone else go this game and remember the overcrowding ? No one seems to remember it, but it definitely 100% happened.

Sorry to go a bit off thread.

I went that game too. There were, I assume, Woolwich fans throwing stones into the ground. Saw a Spurs fan covered in blood.

I went to the first game at Hillsborough. It was so packed it was unbelievable. Really dangerous. They put Spurs fans in the Wolves end and sat them around the pitch - it was that crowded. Don't know why they carried on playing semis there. I was a kid and thought it was really dangerous. Why didn't the FA realise this ?

Did anyone else go this game and remember the overcrowding ? No one seems to remember it, but it definitely 100% happened.

Sorry to go a bit off thread.

I think that incident has been well documented over the years. Comes up whenever Hillsborough gets talked about.

My daughter's first game was at home to Leeds in Sept '95 - a few months before her 5th birthday.
Her infants and primary school was on Worcester Avenue. Walking back home one day not long before said game, her and and her mum popped into the Spurs shop - as Mabbsey and Cvntball were in there having an autograph session. After patiently standing in line they reached the front, where my daughter proceeded to go very shy. Mabbsey upon seeing this asked her if she wanted to say anything. She then walked forward and whispered in his ear;
"Ar5enal crap shit"
He was really taken aback my wife said and replied;
You mustn't say things like that"
Dunno where she got it from....

spurs V Sheff Wed 1969, think we won,
I was in first year of senior school and took a girl friends younger brother, god knows how we got there, I had never been to WHL before & didn't know anyone who had been there
went by train from Ockendon to Braking then Sth Tottenham station

Newcastle at home 2-0 in 1998 I think, was only 7 years old at the time and about 8 rows back in the Park Lane so couldn't see a thing for most of the match!

Well I went to a Chartham village charity game in 1992 where Gary Lineker was scheduled to play with some cricketers and stuff.. he didn't turn up as he had just signed for Grampus Eight - so I was gutted and it wasn't in a stadium or anything.

Fulham 1 vs Luton 3 - Division 2 - Craven Cottage.

Went with my friend and his dad - season ticket holders. We left at 0-3 and heard the stadium cheering the consolation goal while walking down the river.
The only game I have ever left early - wasn't my call - wasn't my team. I was about 13/14.
Wore a Spurs scarf and was told to hide it inside my coat.

Went to the front of the stand before kick off and got the autographs of Rufus Brevett, Chris Coleman and Paul Peschisolido.
Shook Mohamed Al-Fayed's hand.

Simply wasn't possible for me to attend a Spurs game prior to that.

Once I started working and having my own money to spend I went to my first Spurs game.
Sad thing is, I couldn't tell you who it was against, nor do I remember if we won - but pretty sure we didn't lose.

What I will never forget - one of the most magical moments of my life...
Walking up the steps of the east upper - seeing the west stand emerge with every step I took.. until finally, this luscious green carpet with perfect white markings was presented to me for the very first time.
It was magic. Even better than I had ever imagined.

Restricted view seat didn't bother me at all.

That awful 0-0 draw with Palace in 2014 I think it was. First and only time I've been never seen worse football live but was right near the palace fans atmosphere was great, loads of shit flying both ways and loved every second of it.

September 1995
3-1 win vs Wimbledon.

Our team featured “legends” such as Dean Austin, Clive Wilson and Gerry McMahon.

Vinny Jones was playing that day for Wimbledon and loved being the pantomime villain, was laughing every time he was booed taking throw ins

Wimbledon 1 Tottenham 1

I was 11. A game so bad for years thought it was 0-0.

Highlight being Thorstvedt (one of my favourite players) replacing an injured Ian Walker.

September 1995
3-1 win vs Wimbledon.

Our team featured “legends” such as Dean Austin, Clive Wilson and Gerry McMahon.

Vinny Jones was playing that day for Wimbledon and loved being the pantomime villain, was laughing every time he was booed taking throw ins
I remember this quite well as it was the first game I went to with mates and no parent supervision. My mum was worried about crowd trouble as Wimbledon were a really dirty side and she thought that their fans would be cut from the same cloth. I reassured her this wouldn't be an issue on the basis of Wimbledon not having any fans!

Am told there were games before this, but the first one I can actually remember attending was a Football Combination game away to the scum in March '71. (0-0)
First League game was at home to Huddersfield in August '71. Won 4-1 and I can still see Chivers jumping majestically, to score with a header at the Paxton.

Back
Top Bottom