Which players need to go?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's too much required to build around Harry Kane. You would need a complete overhaul. Sell him and Dele. Build the team around Heung Min Son and Lo Celso. As long as those two are on the team and you add 2-3 quality players partially paid for with proceeds from selling Kane and Dele, the team will be competing again. Spurs have good pieces and wouldn't need to completely rebuild the team.
What did I just read? The only thing Kane lacks is pace and you can compensate for that by pairing him with a pacy forward that can run beyond him like, um, say, I don't know, Son? We've already seen Kane's ability to pick a great forward pass and then make an intelligent run to drag defenders out of space for a teammate a few times now so I think it could work.

In less sarcastic news, I would've thought it would be clear by now that Son alone is not going to replace the goalscoring output you get with Kane (at least not consistently enough). Nobody else in the squad has Kane's clockwork ability to put away chances.

If Kane had pace, he'd literally be the ultimate all-purpose forward. To get a bit FIFA on y'all asses for a moment, pace is the only attribute of his that isn't at least a solid 7.5 or 8/10. He holds up the play well enough to be a top-notch target man; he has the passing and vision to be a strong 10; he is also the consummate loose or second-ball poaching out-and-out striker.

Son lacks Kane's strength, hold-up, height/ability to knock down second balls from aerials, passing technique, predatory vision/instinct/positioning, and clinical finishing (yes, he's just as good some of the time and then he has those odd spells where he can't hit the proverbial barn door). I'm not saying Son's bad in any of those areas, but Kane is just some degree better (to an extent dependent on the trait). And you don't necessarily need to replace all of those attributes that you would lose with Kane - you can change your play style to minimise the importance of, for example, height and aerial ability by playing along the ground - but Son isn't going to cover everything you're losing in just one player.

Your strategy is impractical, IMO, unless it involves buying someone else to do what Kane could do already, only there's no way that player is going to be as good as Kane, which makes the whole thing an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
If I'm looking at the squad there is so much crap, that I think you can't get rid of it all immediately I would sort it into three categories.

Must Keep
Sanchez: Still forget how young he is, our best defender now IMO

Son: No need to explain, our best player

Winks: I know some don't like him but is an excellent squad player, don't think he should be a starter, bleeds this club and we haven't got too many homegrown good players right now so helps with squad restrictions

Kane: I actually don't think losing him would be as disastrous as it once was, we'd get a shit tonne of money to revamp a squad that really needs it, but it is more for the message that sends as a club, think would really hurt our mentality more than anything

Lo Celso: Apart from the fact we kind of have to, his improvement since Jose came in has been one of the few positive things about this season, no-brainer

Sessegnon: Decent young English player, wouldn't make sense to sell now

Bergwijn: Surprised me with his quality since he came in, shame about the timing of his injury because I don't think he will be a regular in the long run so would have been key for him to have a run in the team until the end of the season.

Skipp: Still only 19, no point getting rid of him yet

Davies: Perfect back up left back for me, but needs someone in front of him

Tanganga: Another bright spot about this season, good to see a young kid take his chance

Sell in due time, or if the offer is right
Lloris: I think people are being a bit harsh on him, but he is often a liability right now, in saying that we have so much to get rid off you don't want to do too much at the same time.

Alderweireld: Definitely first choice any more, but I think keeping him at the club is important cause he still shows his quality every now and again.

Dele: Hardest one to call in the club, there surely is still a good player in there too, he showed it for a bit when Jose came in. I think he is trying too hard, I think I would ask for 80-100m considering he's English, anything else persist with him.

Gazzaniga: Good enough to be a back up IMO

Lucas: Is a decent squaddie, but definitely our most overrated player, wouldn't look to sell him immediately but hope he is not starting the majority of our games next season

Ndombele: Had he been here for a bit longer I would say get rid, you can tell he could be such a good player but he needs to buckle down to do it any I'm not sure he seems like he has the character and more importantly I don't think Jose is the type of coach to help him do it.

Gedson: How are we going to get the opportunity to know he is going to be good enough by the end of next season? If he isn't good enough by then there is no point paying all that cash so I can't see us extending that deal personally.

Get rid
Vertonghen: Club legend, but not good enough anymore. Too slow and in a defence that is in desperate need of reconstruction, he is one of the first rooms that needs to be knocked down.

Lamela: Every time I watch him play I think 'fuck I love this guy'. He just gets it and works his socks off BUT he is injured too often and is clogging up the squad, can't rely on him, think he is one where it is probably better just cut or losses

Vorm: Probably a bit harsh, although was shocked he played over Gazza against Norwich, having two foreign back up keepers is a complete waste.

Dier: The fact he is now being viewed as one of our better players shows how shit we are currently, in midfield he is horrendous. Centre back he can do a job but if we can a good fee for him which I think we could we should look to sell.

Sissoko: Wasn't sure on this one, but I think he might struggle to come back from this injury, he has had a lot recently, 30 years old now and is a player that relies on his physicality, wouldn't say no to keeping him.

Foyth: Partly because it's clear Jose doesn't rate him, I STILL don't really know what to make of him all this time later.

Aurier: He's shit, hate watching him play.

It's all about who we can bring in that's better as usual, but my main shift list would be;

Vorm
Aurier
Foyth
Vertonghen

Then I would seriously consider financially sensible offers in these regions for;

Gazzaniga 5m
Sanchez 20m
Dier 20m
Winks 25m
Sissoko 10m
Dele 50m
Lamela 15m
Lucas 20m
Sessegnon 20m
Skipp 10m

The only stand out players we have now are Kane, Son, Lo Celso for me.

Lloris, Tanganga, Alderweireld, Davies, Ndombele, Bergwijn still have something to offer I believe.

4 out
10 for sale
6 not for sale
3 refuse any suggestion of selling

Half the squad sadly.

Build the team around Lo Celso? The 19 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 shots on target Lo Celso? Or are you referring to a different one?

Kane is the best player we could ever dream of having. We cannot attract that level of player - the links to Dybala were all fluff, he was talking to United; not us.

Unless we are prepared to pay way over the salary odds; we cannot attract top players.
Quite so. I could only imagine the reaction from other teams' fans if Kane sticks around after this trainwreck of a season, which I think he will, and they see Spurs fans complaining that he wasn't sold. It'd make the fanbase look like the most ungrateful and entitled bunch of cunts outside of Madrid.

if we are not in Europe next season we can have a mass clear out as we will have fewer games, that way we trim the wages so we can buy & pay the players we need
we need RB, CH, DM backup striker, maybe a goalie if we can get someone
without Kane & Son who do the players think will score ? that's part of why their confidents is down

Lloris
Gazzaniga
Vorm
Aurier
Sanchez
Foyth
Dire
Aldeweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Davies
Winks
Sissoko
Lamela
Luca
Dele

New team -

New gk
New gk
New rb
New rb
Tangang
New cb
New cb
New cb
New lb
Sessegnon
Skipp
New dm
New dm
Ndombele
Lo celso
Kid bought from Leeds last summer
New rw
Bergwijn
Son
New am
Kane
New cf
Parrot

A minimum of 13 new signings required for this painful rebuild, a rebuild that should have started after 2016/2017 season.

There was the last 15 mins or so against Norwich, when Lo Celso, Fernandes, NDombele and Bergwijn were so ‘in the zone’ that they were head and shoulders above the rest of our team. I’d keep them and Son, and flog the rest. They are utter shite.
Sadly, I think Kane’s head has been turned given his recent performances. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he left.
Looks like it will take a few windows to achieve, given Baldies chat with THST

The biggest shake up we’ve ever had is required. I really didn’t think I’d be saying that this time last year but it’s true.
Unreal isn’t it
The mentality lows from losing a final is utterly shocking. Shouldn’t that inspire?

It’s like they all just “yeah we’re serial losers what’s the point now” and gave up

So unprofessional

Keep:

Kane, Son, Lo Celso. Literally anyone else could be shipped out without a problem.

Tanganga and Bergwijn I would give the opportunity to stay.

a case could also be made for persevering with Dele & Ndombele (mainly due to the loss we will suffer at this point, but also because he is incredibly talented).

Last edited:
I think it's pretty obvious that certain players are just not working out

Aurier, Winks, Hugo, Sess, Vorm and even Dele have been really poor.

Who else do you think needs to go?

:sonhmm:
To be honest the team needs rebuilding big time new goalkeeper new defence more steel in midfield only two worth keeping son and Kane but this should have been done over the past two seasons we have now ground to a halt I’m afraid and the manager is being found out he’s brilliant backed by billionaire owner but when he’s in charge of a team with not so wealthy owners then we can see what he is really like unless this summer they get there arse in gear we will return to a mid table team going nowhere fast

If we don't get a new keeper over the summer we're in deep shit. Hugo has had about 4 good games all season, Gazza about 3. If we do keep Lloris, or more likely can't offload him, at least get Fruechtl in on loan so we might be able to get him permanent if he develops.

Lloris: He's not good enough for us to be a title contender, but I'm coming up short on who should replace him. Jan Oblak would be fantastic, but unrealistic I guess.
Aurier: Error-prone, not good enough. Needs to be replaced.

Would gladly replace some of the squad players with other, younger squad players, but I don't think that should be the main focus this summer. We need a new goal keeper, left and right back.

New GK
New RB - Alderweireld - Sanchez - New LB
Lo Celso - Winks - Ndombele
Dele - Kane - Son

This team without midweek games and coached by a manager that know what it takes to win the Premier League. Could be a really fun season
Winks at DM absolutely doesn't work, especially with Gio and Ndombele. We definitely need a proper DM

if we are not in Europe next season we can have a mass clear out as we will have fewer games, that way we trim the wages so we can buy & pay the players we need
we need RB, CH, DM backup striker, maybe a goalie if we can get someone
without Kane & Son who do the players think will score ? that's part of why their confidents is down
We’ll never have a mass clearout.

That would mean selling players at discount and Levy would never do it.

I don’t think anything’s changed in the past few weeks, we still need a DM, two full backs, a striker, a centre back and a goal keeper.

I don’t see us replacing Lloris in the summer because a decent goalkeeper is rapidly becoming one of the most expensive positions on the field.

I also think that if we don’t get any europe next season then Kane, Parrott and Son would just about do as striking options playing 1 game a week. It’s not ideal and I would prefer proper cover but if we are scraping pennies then I want to see the 1st team improved, not the bench.

So I would say a minimum of 4 signings next summer which is doable.

New RB (aurier moves to the bench, Tanganga moves inside or to the bench)
New LB (Davies moves inside or to the bench, Verts Leaves)
New CB (Toby moves to the bench, Foyth sold)
New DM (Winks moves to the bench, Wanyama gone, Dier sold)

Any other signing would be a bonus but these are the key areas we must focus on. Any other deadwood we get rid of is a bonus.

That means the players we absolutely must get rid of this summer, purely to make room for new signings are:

Verts
Foyth
Wanyama (done)
Dier (Purely because he is older/slower than Tanganga and Sanchez who are his competion)

I don’t think anything’s changed in the past few weeks, we still need a DM, two full backs, a striker, a centre back and a goal keeper.

I don’t see us replacing Lloris in the summer because a decent goalkeeper is rapidly becoming one of the most expensive positions on the field.

I also think that if we don’t get any europe next season then Kane, Parrott and Son would just about do as striking options playing 1 game a week. It’s not ideal and I would prefer proper cover but if we are scraping pennies then I want to see the 1st team improved, not the bench.

So I would say a minimum of 4 signings next summer which is doable.

New RB (aurier moves to the bench, Tanganga moves inside or to the bench)
New LB (Davies moves inside or to the bench, Verts Leaves)
New CB (Toby moves to the bench, Foyth sold)
New DM (Winks moves to the bench, Wanyama gone, Dier sold)

Any other signing would be a bonus but these are the key areas we must focus on. Any other deadwood we get rid of is a bonus.

That means the players we absolutely must get rid of this summer, purely to make room for new signings are:

Verts
Foyth
Wanyama (done)
Dier (Purely because he is older/slower than Tanganga and Sanchez who are his competion)

You are going to let go 3 CBs and sign 1? We must have at least 2 but with Toby now having completely lost it we probably need 3.

also believe we need 2 DMs and 4 fullbacks.

Last edited:
Such a stupid question.

It's a matter of the manager getting the best out of any players and creating a system they are comfortable with.

The players who are not listening need to be shipped out.

Not fcuking ticket science.

Back
Top Bottom