Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see your point, but you have to allow Lamela to grow more physically before you can make that statement really, I'd say Lamela is very similar to Ronaldo, and if he bulks up a bit he could be just as good if not better (as I believe he is smarter). Just like you wouldnt compare Bale to Messi, due to their very different styles of play and physical attributes, I wouldnt compare Bale and Lamela. Lamela has better close control than Bale IMO, just look at his solo raids, how he (like messi) just seem to have the ball glued to his feet as he takes on 3 defenders standing in a tight huddle.
No, I can make the statement now. I may be proved wrong, but I'm absolutely confident I won't be.

I don't see Lamela as anywhere near in Ronaldo's league either, he's even farther short of him than Bale.

If I could only see Ronaldo in Lamela, I wold be so confident of a title challenge next season.

Even in his first season with Utd, Ronaldo was light years ahead of Lamela.

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

''When he can nutmeg and showboat for fun like Bale'' - two issues with this. Bale was and isn't the showboating type and you've just shown yourself up as not having watched much of Lamela, because he did that in his sleep at Roma.
I haven't shown myself up at all. It's you who's shown yourself up. I'm judging Lamela on what he does for us, and you've shown yourself up, cos Bale can showboat for fun, he didn't bother most of the time, because he got enough philistine 'verbals and assaults' as it was in England.

No, I can make the statement now. I may be proved wrong, but I'm absolutely confident I won't be.

I don't see Lamela as anywhere near in Ronaldo's league either, he's even farther short of him than Bale.

If I could only see Ronaldo in Lamela, I wold be so confident of a title challenge next season.

Even in his first season with Utd, Ronaldo was light years ahead of Lamela.

If I'm not mistaken, Ronaldo scored 1 goal (and got a hell of a lot more playing time than Lamela) during the first half of his first season at UTD - he then went on to score his second goal in February, So isnt it a bit premature to say his first season was better?

I haven't shown myself up at all. It's you who's shown yourself up. I'm judging Lamela on what he does for us, and you've shown yourself up, cos Bale can showboat for fun, he didn't bother most of the time, because he got enough philistine 'verbals and assaults' as it was in England.
Judging a player's technique, which is what we're doing, is not exclusive to the club he's currently at.

Also, I'm not dissing Bale. Behind Modric, he's the best player I've seen play live for Spurs. Get your head out of the sand and do some research man.

If I'm not mistaken, Ronaldo scored 1 goal (and got a hell of a lot more playing time than Lamela) during the first half of his first season at UTD - he then went on to score his second goal in February, So isnt it a bit premature to say his first season was better?
Well, you may be talking about just Lge. IIRC, Ronaldo scored twice in the Cup Final in his first season. May be wrong, all I know is I looked at Ronaldo that season, and thought wow Utd have got a player here. Power, pace, heading ability, shooting ability. Of course I can't say, I thought, 'this player will be one of the all time greats', as he has now proved to be, but he impressed me sooooooo much more than Lamela.

Well, you may be talking about just Lge. IIRC, Ronaldo scored twice in the Cup Final in his first season. May be wrong, all I know is I looked at Ronaldo that season, and thought wow Utd have got a player here. Power, pace, heading ability, shooting ability. Of course I can't say, I thought, 'this player will be one of the all time greats', as he has now proved to be, but he impressed me sooooooo much more than Lamela.

Im talking about all competitions, Ronaldo scored a total of 6 goals his first season for UTD, first goal came in November (league vs portsmout), second in February (FA cup vs Man city), third in march (league vs spurs), 4th april (league vs birmingham), 5th in may (league vs villa) and 6th at the end of may in the FA cup vs millwall)

You can have the last word, as you clearly wish to be confrontational.
It's a debate, my man. No need to be so sensitive. It's just evident, as you admit, you only judge players by their contributions to our club. When judging things like technique, as we're discussing, you take into account their whole career as proof. To say outrightly that Lamela's technique is worse than Bale's and then say you're only judging that on what he's done for Spurs is silly. If that was how football worked, their attributes don't matter until showcased for their current side.

Im talking about all competitions, Ronaldo scored a total of 6 goals his first season for UTD, first goal came in November (league vs portsmout), second in February (FA cup vs Man city), third in march (league vs spurs), 4th april (league vs birmingham), 5th in may (league vs villa) and 6th at the end of may in the FA cup vs millwall)
Cheers Elias, thanks for that, well let's see if Lamela matches that. Obviously won't be in a domestic Cup Final, though. All i can say is what I saw of Ronaldo that season, impressed me more than what I've seen of Lamela so far. Naturally, I've seen more of Lamela as I'm not a Utd fan, so maybe the Cup Final distorted my perception, but I always love to see a winger (as Ronaldo was thought of then) who can head the ball, always a massive plus in my book.

To sprint all day long like that it has to be in your genes mate. A ridiculous percentage of type IIX muscle fibres, or whatever they're called.
Agreed mate, I seriously lack in that area. But would you not put that down as stamina rather than power and pace? Natural fitness is a key component to Bale but Lamela could definitely up his artificial fitness.

p.s. I just made up artificial fitness, had a brainfart and can't think of the correct term.

If we lose any player this window with the exception of Defoe or Sig in this window, or this summer...all because Sherwood wants to play the youth or "doesn't think they are good enough" He and whoever on the board sanctions that decision can fuck off.

Play him in the hole for every game for the rest of the season. Nothing to lose. Think top 4 is out of reach. Never know, a few good games and it might just click. He's obviously got quality and vision.

Cheers Elias, thanks for that, well let's see if Lamela matches that. Obviously won't be in a domestic Cup Final, though. All i can say is what I saw of Ronaldo that season, impressed me more than what I've seen of Lamela so far. Naturally, I've seen more of Lamela as I'm not a Utd fan, so maybe the Cup Final distorted my perception, but I always love to see a winger (as Ronaldo was thought of then) who can head the ball, always a massive plus in my book.

Out of Lamela's 15 goals for Roma last season, 3 were headers :)

Back
Top Bottom