WBA Vs Tottenham, Sunday 8th Nov - KO 12noon - Sky Sports PPV.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One wonders how things would've been if Spurs had signed Grealish when there was the chance...

I wonder how he would fit into our team where he would be more of a piece rather than the whole focus like he is in Villa.

He has the freedom to roam around where he likes, dominate the ball and take a pass on defensive play, I am not sure any of that would fly with us.

I certainly think he has the talent that we could use but not sure we would see the same level of brilliance as we do with him at Villa if he were here. He could adapt but not sure that is his best style of play.

Shearer: "Credit to WBA - they should take great encouragement from that - but Spurs were fantastic today"

Meanwhile at least one match-thread dweller "forgot" to even celebrate our late winner or the victory.

Sad scenes.
I think Shearer has been at Auntie Beeb’s Sherry cabinet tbh
Workmanlike, gritty, dug in against a stubborn team. All of those. I draw the line at fantastic though

If Dippers or ManUre had won that WBA game like we did, it would have been a "masterclass" in hanging in there, dogged determination and then pouncing to take the win.

Why cant we be the same ? Find any League winners that didn't have a few games that were won dirty, it is how you accumulate those points. No point having 55 shots, 80% possession, then getting done by a late goal or getting 0-0 draws at places like WBA.

COYS

As always Blakey an enjoyable summary by you - whilst I might not always agree I do give you huge props for always producing a considered review, and doing it lightning fast.

As usual, it's getting bit groundhog day now, I don't agree with your summation of the midfield, or you just taking six players in isolation from the remaining five ... that's not how the game is played.

Look at the whole team set-up -

An experienced keeper - we have two now so that's a given

Two centre backs who whilst not the fastest on the planet are rock solid under aerial attack and who do have the odd raking long pass in their locker.

Two fullback (and this is the big change in 2020) who are primarily attacking players with the ability to both score and assist but who also have the ability and speed to be competent defenders. Doherty and Reguilon are a big step up from Davies and Serge.

A central midfield player who will break up opposition possession and can distribute the ball with ease - PEH again a step-up from Winks.

Two other mobile midfield players who can drop back to cover their fullback, can battle one on one with their opposite midfield number, and who offer an attacking threat - these are your >100m players

Three strikers/wide forwards not only capable of scoring but also of providing assists, pressing, and when needed covering an opposing fullback's runs - these are the games glamour guys, we have three very good ones.

So why Sissoko over Ndombele + LoCelso? is he a better player than either of them? that's not even a debate clearly ability wise he isn't, so why? Well it's horses for courses, right now Mourinho very obviously believes a 31 year old Sissoko has the experience, and more importantly the 90 minutes fitness levels, to do a better job alongside PEH and one from Ndombele/LoCelso, than playing both of them together would offer.

As those two gain fitness and EPL experience then no doubt an ageing Sissoko will be phased out, who knows maybe Winks or Dele can also step up their game, maybe in January we trade for another quality midfield all rounder ... either way a 32 year old Sissoko won't be a fixture.

That said right now Sissoko is the man, it's Sissoko who covers when our FB's range forward, it's Sissoko who allows PEH to press the opposing midfield, it's Sissoko who's still going after 90 minutes ... he is the man, praise is due.

That won't last, indeed yesterday he was the one first substituted for an extra striker - so the writing is on the wall for our 31 year old 'legend' - just maybe not quite yet.
Blakey - the TFC version of
3F4A8C36E8B6E1566401973F1E14BC918840B9EA

Blakey - won nothing but talks utter meaningless nonsense, false 8's, double pivots, yayda yayda yada for 10 pages of shite

Mourinho- silverware at Porto, Chavski, Milan, Madrid, Manure - "play like cu**s"

some folk will swallow any old bollocks.

Mick Cooper "You can't turn a sport into a science"

And how is his career going?
In your “expert” opinion of course......
badly, really badly - he's a human and some humans have massive existential crises of confidence. But he has proved on numerous occasions that he can play well, and although I never believed he was world class - he was definitely a knocking on the door.

You talk about him like he's always been shite - because you're sammy and you say what you liiike!

and I don't claim to have an expert opinion at all Sammy, just a balanced and mature one, without polarising issues or abusing players performances as though they were doing it deliberately, or because they didn't care.

One wonders how things would've been if Spurs had signed Grealish when there was the chance...
Who do you drop him for? Jose won’t play a midfield 3 of Ndombele , GLC and Hjojberg so far as he like to have a bit of muscle in midfield in Sissoko alongside Hjojberg , however if we signed him when we had the chance he could have taken Eriksens place ?

badly, really badly - he's a human and some humans have massive existential crises of confidence. But he has proved on numerous occasions that he can play well, and although I never believed he was world class - he was definitely a knocking on the door.

You talk about him like he's always been shite - because you're sammy and you say what you liiike!

and I don't claim to have an expert opinion at all Sammy, just a balanced and mature one, without polarising issues or abusing players performances as though they were doing it deliberately, or because they didn't care.
My views on Dele have been consistent since the autumn of 2017.

Glad you caught up after three years though.

This hasn't been mentioned enough don't think it's any coincidence that our "poor form" that's still 3 wins 2 of them away from home. Started when the EL group stages began it's basically known fact that the Thursday Sunday is more of a killer then the Wednesday Saturday, and because of the Antwerp fuck up we had to play a strong side Thursday also.

We should take encouragement that we have barely got our of second gear all season and we are top. As the season gets into full swing and the players return to full fitness after a shit pre season and the new lads bed in we will see this squad play better.

We just need to make sure we are still around the top after this horror run of games

Back
Top Bottom