WBA Vs Tottenham, Sunday 8th Nov - KO 12noon - Sky Sports PPV.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I appreciate your response but it appears that we are all supposed to have one opinion and anyone who says something else is a "spanner ". You get more hassle from this than if you criticised the Catholic Church for their treatment of young boys ! What is it that I can't quote things that are established as facts ? Did we think that the terrorists were Catholic or Church of England ?
I'm sorry if some people are upset but I believe in freedom of speech as long as it's truth !

:townhmm::townhmm::townhmm:

Fun fact.

Son, Kane and Bale have all won our last 3 games individually with a header.

Son vs. Burnley
Bale vs. Brighton
Kane vs. West Brom

😅 that second half certainly made me feel better! I have a slightly different take than most in that I think we struggle more when teams come out and really press us (this game first half, Everton, Southampton first half) because we lose all composure and can’t string together two passes, than when teams go full low-block and let us have the ball in midfield, because our forwards (well, Kane) can piece together a goal given enough time and space on the ball while our midfield goes missing under pressure. First half I really thought we were never going to score but were probably going to concede, while second half I didn’t feel we were in any particular danger and it was a matter of patience and that tactical change with Vinny.

Why do we struggle so much under pressure? Besides the fact we’re essentially playing with a two man midfield considering Sissoko’s dubious presence, I think there might be a tactics thing too where we know we want to play a fast vertical transition which translates in our heads as looking to lump it forward at every opportunity, but most of the time that’s kinda rushed and just gives the ball back to them. I’d like to see us be more patient on the ball and when we’re feeling the pressure, calm down and just try to keep the ball for a bit, regain control of the tempo. Not saying we have to turn into a sideways crab team like Arteta’s lot, but there’s got to be a balance there because I don’t think we can survive a full season frantically absorbing pressure in our own half for 30-50min every game. I’d like us to use width better too, can’t remember many decent crosses from out wide but that’s where you’re likely to get space when the opposition starts sitting back.

Having said that, I’ll take the result and the others this weekend all day long, and still feel like there are levels to go in this team if Sonny can get some rest, Bale and Lo Celso can get fit and/or we replace Sissoko in these sorts of games (maybe recall Skippy if we can’t afford to buy in Jan?). And how incredibly lucky are we to have a player like Harry Kane? He’s practically carrying this team on his back, at least the creative production side; I think the commentators didn’t give enough credit to how good some of his passes today were, maybe because we’ve come to expect it from him. He looks more determined than ever to drag us to the top himself this season and I’m all here for it 😎

As an American I’m having *quite* the good week, so as critical as my stuff usually sounds it’s all in good cheer, let’s just bask for a moment and look forward to prepping for our biggest test so far this season in City!

As an American I’m having *quite* the good week,
😅 that second half certainly made me feel better! I have a slightly different take than most in that I think we struggle more when teams come out and really press us (this game first half, Everton, Southampton first half) because we lose all composure and can’t string together two passes, than when teams go full low-block and let us have the ball in midfield, because our forwards (well, Kane) can piece together a goal given enough time and space on the ball while our midfield goes missing under pressure. First half I really thought we were never going to score but were probably going to concede, while second half I didn’t feel we were in any particular danger and it was a matter of patience and that tactical change with Vinny.

Why do we struggle so much under pressure? Besides the fact we’re essentially playing with a two man midfield considering Sissoko’s dubious presence, I think there might be a tactics thing too where we know we want to play a fast vertical transition which translates in our heads as looking to lump it forward at every opportunity, but most of the time that’s kinda rushed and just gives the ball back to them. I’d like to see us be more patient on the ball and when we’re feeling the pressure, calm down and just try to keep the ball for a bit, regain control of the tempo. Not saying we have to turn into a sideways crab team like Arteta’s lot, but there’s got to be a balance there because I don’t think we can survive a full season frantically absorbing pressure in our own half for 30-50min every game. I’d like us to use width better too, can’t remember many decent crosses from out wide but that’s where you’re likely to get space when the opposition starts sitting back.

Having said that, I’ll take the result and the others this weekend all day long, and still feel like there are levels to go in this team if Sonny can get some rest, Bale and Lo Celso can get fit and/or we replace Sissoko in these sorts of games (maybe recall Skippy if we can’t afford to buy in Jan?). And how incredibly lucky are we to have a player like Harry Kane? He’s practically carrying this team on his back, at least the creative production side; I think the commentators didn’t give enough credit to how good some of his passes today were, maybe because we’ve come to expect it from him. He looks more determined than ever to drag us to the top himself this season and I’m all here for it 😎

As an American I’m having *quite* the good week, so as critical as my stuff usually sounds it’s all in good cheer, let’s just bask for a moment and look forward to prepping for our biggest test so far this season in City!
Why did trump win?

Whilst we are top, there are serious questions to be asked about our performances lately.

Especially with City, Chelsea and Scum our next 3 games.

We need to find that United form and quickly.

Play like that v. them and we are in trouble.

So pleased with the result, but the performance stank.

Correct but we won't play like we have.

The games mentioned are all goung to be hard of course but I am also sure we will be ready.

And whatever else we have taken the 9 from 9.

Absolutely this.

As grinding goes, that wasn't our worst performance, but we are making things so much harder for ourselves, and we could be so much better as a collective technically and tactically if Mourinho would just stop the silly Sissoko nonsense (a player he himself said isn't a central midfielder) and switch to a CM3/433 - even a lopsided one where Ndombele and Lo Celso take turns to pivot more forward or have more scope (or both can be more pro-active when trying to break obdurate opponents) this could be one of the best front 6's in the PL:

Ndombele----------Hojbjerg-----------Lo Celso

Bale-------------Kane-------------Son​

And it's not like Sissoko is good defensively, he's a terrible reader of of the game defensively, and pretty ordinary/shit teams end up having phases of control and causing us problems with him out there, so it's not like there's some kind of defensive pay-off.

In a CM2 you just can't afford to have one of the double pivots incapable of receiving the ball under pressure (even light pressure) and incapable of passing the ball with any alacrity, especially when there is no real defensive pay off, he's not even some busy cunt who tears around snuffing out dangerous situations, half the time he's causing them.

We've ground out another win, and that's great, and I've said all along I can see Mourinho doing this and getting us into the top 4, but a team with those six players really shouldn't be making such heavy weather of many of these games, creating so little, and be so massively reliant on one player - not only has Kane scored or assisted 15 of our 19 goals, but he's also had to become a kind of false 8 playmaker too - for results. I really don't think we'd sacrifice any defensive tactical edge, to gain a fair bit of offensive capability with that line up.

As always Blakey an enjoyable summary by you - whilst I might not always agree I do give you huge props for always producing a considered review, and doing it lightning fast.

As usual, it's getting bit groundhog day now, I don't agree with your summation of the midfield, or you just taking six players in isolation from the remaining five ... that's not how the game is played.

Look at the whole team set-up -

An experienced keeper - we have two now so that's a given

Two centre backs who whilst not the fastest on the planet are rock solid under aerial attack and who do have the odd raking long pass in their locker.

Two fullback (and this is the big change in 2020) who are primarily attacking players with the ability to both score and assist but who also have the ability and speed to be competent defenders. Doherty and Reguilon are a big step up from Davies and Serge.

A central midfield player who will break up opposition possession and can distribute the ball with ease - PEH again a step-up from Winks.

Two other mobile midfield players who can drop back to cover their fullback, can battle one on one with their opposite midfield number, and who offer an attacking threat - these are your >100m players

Three strikers/wide forwards not only capable of scoring but also of providing assists, pressing, and when needed covering an opposing fullback's runs - these are the games glamour guys, we have three very good ones.

So why Sissoko over Ndombele + LoCelso? is he a better player than either of them? that's not even a debate clearly ability wise he isn't, so why? Well it's horses for courses, right now Mourinho very obviously believes a 31 year old Sissoko has the experience, and more importantly the 90 minutes fitness levels, to do a better job alongside PEH and one from Ndombele/LoCelso, than playing both of them together would offer.

As those two gain fitness and EPL experience then no doubt an ageing Sissoko will be phased out, who knows maybe Winks or Dele can also step up their game, maybe in January we trade for another quality midfield all rounder ... either way a 32 year old Sissoko won't be a fixture.

That said right now Sissoko is the man, it's Sissoko who covers when our FB's range forward, it's Sissoko who allows PEH to press the opposing midfield, it's Sissoko who's still going after 90 minutes ... he is the man, praise is due.

That won't last, indeed yesterday he was the one first substituted for an extra striker - so the writing is on the wall for our 31 year old 'legend' - just maybe not quite yet.

Last edited:
Shearer: "Credit to WBA - they should take great encouragement from that - but Spurs were fantastic today"

Meanwhile at least one match-thread dweller "forgot" to even celebrate our late winner or the victory.

Sad scenes.

Back
Top Bottom