Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing suggests to me that he can reinvent himself as a striker
We tried him up top last year when Kane and Son were out and it wasn't good. He just kept throwing his hands up in the air when the ball didn't land at his feet. He doesn't have the pace to beat good defenders, or the ability to hold the ball up effectively.

I wonder if Dele even knows anymore what his best position is?

Just hoping he shows some grit and grinds through this bad spell. And when given a shot in Europa League that he shows progress and don't show that terrible body language as soon as something goes wrong. I hope he sees a sports shrink. It's in his head.

Just hoping he shows some grit and grinds through this bad spell. And when given a shot in Europa League that he shows progress and don't show that terrible body language as soon as something goes wrong. I hope he sees a sports shrink. It's in his head.
its in his head because it was in his feet first.

when will you guys accept that he's simply a limited player with massive holes in his game which was ignored for years because he was productive. Dele Alli is what happens when you put too much weight in stats

when will you guys accept that he's simply a limited player with massive holes in his game which was ignored for years because he was productive. Dele Alli is what happens when you put too much weight in stats

I bet if you went back through this thread you'd find very little stat-crunching; he's never been the kind of player to inspire that....

I don't agree. Dele has as an offensive midfielder in 158 games for Spurs scored 50 and assisted 33. And he's only 24.

There is a player in there that is missed by many of us.

I've got a weird feeling Dele is gonna feature against City this weekend....

I think Jose knows now that Dele only thrives in a 'big game' .... and clearly loses interest when the opposition isn't up to his demanding standards....
:deledoubt:
whether that's right or not, (only deciding to turn up if you deem the opposition 'worthy' of your precense) he clearly hasn't flourished in the so called 'lesser matches' this season (EL etc) but when someone 'famous enough' comes to Town, he's all over it!! He's nothing more than a Big Club Fan Boy!

....so maybe, just maybe, he'll relish the idea of playing Man City (for whatever reason he regards them as more important than facing 'lesser teams') and actually puts a shift in....

You never know, it COULD be to our benefit!!

I don't agree. Dele has as an offensive midfielder in 158 games for Spurs scored 50 and assisted 33. And he's only 24.

Blows Lampard out of the water with those numbers and look how high up in the list of Premier League scorers he is.

I've got a weird feeling Dele is gonna feature against City this weekend....

I think Jose knows now that Dele only thrives in a 'big game' .... and clearly loses interest when the opposition isn't up to his demanding standards....
:deledoubt:
whether that's right or not, (only deciding to turn up if you deem the opposition 'worthy' of your precense) he clearly hasn't flourished in the so called 'lesser matches' this season (EL etc) but when someone 'famous enough' comes to Town, he's all over it!! He's nothing more than a Big Club Fan Boy!

....so maybe, just maybe, he'll relish the idea of playing Man City (for whatever reason he regards them as more important than facing 'lesser teams') and actually puts a shift in....

You never know, it COULD be to our benefit!!
That cracked me up.

More chance of winning the lottery than Alli starting against City.

I'm beginning to feel like he's done with us. Which is a real shame considering the couple of years he and H spent tearing up defences. He's just not been hugely useful to us for a bit too long now in my eyes. Whatever the reason (forced into unnatural positions, having the cuntiness knocked/trained out of him, injuries etc...), he just doesn't seem to deserve a place on the pitch any longer.

This makes me sad.

I'd give my eye teeth to have the Dele of a few years back playing for us now - he used to put the fear of God in the opposition. Sadly, I don't think that we are ever going to see that Dele again. That is our loss as much as it is his.

Whether it's over for Dele at Spurs, we still don't know. But he cartainly has a lot of time to prove you wrong career wise. Still young.

he can only get his career back on line if he knows whats wrong, it could be mental, physical, personnal
who knows ?
but has the money to seek help from people who are top in their fields, he doesn't have to use the clubs help
he needs to seek help, he & those around must know he is not the same as he was on the pitch (his workplace) is he still training as well as he used too ? (only some of the other players can tell us that)

Sorry, they will have a preferred position which I'm sure in Davies' case is LB/LWB. Of course you can play anyone, anywhere but you won't win anything.

You say that Davies is well known as a CB - not to me. He was bought by us as a LB/LWB which he has played for us 99% of the time. He's not a CB.

By the way Doherty played for ROI as a CB in his last international (and by all accounts was very good). Maybe he is our new CB?

Foyth and Tanganga are CBs that were also played LB/LWBs. Foyth is on loan and in all probability will never play for us again because we insisted on playing him as a RB/RWB when he's a CB (I don't care where Argentina play him). Tanganga is going through the same thing. He should be played as a CB not as a full back.

You seem to think that players and positions are interchangeable - they really aren't in the real world - maybe FIFA!

Gareth Bale

It’s also worth remembering that being out of the squad is a new challenge for Dele. He played every game for MK Dons as a teenager and played every game for Tottenham for the last 5 years.

Leaving aside his physical and technical issues, in terms of psychology this is a situation he’s never had to deal with. He’s never been dropped or left out long-term before so I’m not terribly surprised that he’s struggling with that.

This completely ignores the context in which he was putting up those numbers. Yes he was brilliant producing, but that was because Pochettino basically said "go and do your thing, the others will make up for what you can't do to make the system work". None of his weaknesses were worked on. The same flaws he had at 19 he still has now.

Now that he's less athletic, less dynamic than before, the extra skills that he could've picked up in development aren't there to make up for that loss in mobility. See Kane as an example or even Dier.

Peak Dele had 3 things going for him, his great appreciation/attacking of spaces, incredible stamina and a brilliant ability to improvise. That's why he played as 2nd striker and I always felt that calling him a midfielder was a bit of a mirage. The system has changed and he's not well rounded enough to adjust his role for that change. He simply doesn't fit in anymore.

Back
Top Bottom