Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dembele averaged over 90% because he was a 6 ft 1 version of Harry Winks in possession.
Hahaha - what?

Dembele was one of the most technically skilled players in the Prem and used to glide past players 1v1. He was nothing like Winks who cannot beat a man and simply plays is sideways to the CBs

Last edited:
But he hasn't played as a number 2 alongside Hojbjerg so your base is flawed.

When we signed him, the small amount of us who had actually seen him saw him as someone who benefits from playing in a 3 man midfield, can receive the ball with his back to the opposition turn, beat a press and drive the team forward.

His low percentage passing rate is probably as low as it is due to him being a #10 and him trying dangerous passes instead of keeping it safe.

Dembele averaged over 90% because he was a 6 ft 1 version of Harry Winks in possession. Take that away from Ndombele and you have a safe midfielder who loses his entertainment. If you want that, we have Sissoko.

Problem with Ndombele is, he has a manager who doesn't use him correctly and a style of play that tends to limit his time on the ball due to either playing long ball or using him as a number ten, which I think we all know isn't his best position.

I totally agree with your point about successful passes getting lower the more ambitious they are, totally.
Please don't compare Dembele to Winks though. It makes my soul hurt seeing them compared.

Stupid People GIF by memecandy

Man, just shut the fuck up. Man's gone for a few years, and fools already forgetting what a beast he was.

Every Spurs player rated him as the best in the team, Poch was just about ready to suck his dick, and Trippier was still complaining about us selling him after he left for Atletico. He made Winks look good for a short time.

Am I gonna have to link a Dembele highlight reel here?
What a coincidence .. Ndombele was the most skilled member in Lyon squad (designed by his mates)

Based on his performances.

When we signed him; everyone on this forum insisted he wasn't a Dembele replacement.; and it seems they were right.

His successful passing stats (75%) are way to low to be 'trusted' in our defensive 3rd with the ball. Dembele averaged over >92%.

I guess the one thing they do have in common - they both can only manage 70 minutes per game!!

Ndombele looked great vs Leeds and was the best player on the pitch for much of the game. However, I am not sure he is the 'creator' we need for Kane and Son - and the assist stats back that up.
Thats ridiculous . His passing % is low because he keeps trying to open up the opposition with eye of the needle passes as the rest of the team is very uncreative.

Thats ridiculous . His passing % is low because he keeps trying to open up the opposition with eye of the needle passes as the rest of the team is very uncreative.
That's true, but it doesn't fully absolve him of harry7 accusation. A lot of the time he's trying to make risky passes when they're just not on.

He's often falling on his arse, under pressure and he launches a pass without properly assessing the state of play. Just needs to calm it down a bit sometimes, a couple of more baward and sideways passes would help his overall game IMO. A bit like PEH, a few unambitious passes helps to retain possession, and makes pressing him even more frustrating for the opposition.

Stupid People GIF by memecandy

Man, just shut the fuck up. Man's gone for a few years, and fools already forgetting what a beast he was.

Every Spurs player rated him as the best in the team, Poch was just about ready to suck his dick, and Trippier was still complaining about us selling him after he left for Atletico. He made Winks look good for a short time.

Am I gonna have to link a Dembele highlight reel here?
Looks like it

Dembele a 6’1” Winks???
LOL 😆

He just needs time to improve his fitness. The effort level is totally different to last season, now he is always trying hard with and without the ball.

He's starting regular matches and played for 75 minutes against Leeds, he just needs more football, more training sessions. In time his legs and lungs will improve and allow him to stay explosive beyond the initial 30 minutes.

Yeah Kane and Son both put in a great 90 against Leicester :mourfacepalm:
True they weren't great, but Son's played 1791 mins, Kane played 1844 mins, Ndombele's only played 1195 mins. A bit more understandable that they (like the whole team) were feeling the fatigue.

When we returned against Leeds most of the team, including PEH, Kane and Son were looking much more lively, and all three played practically the whole 90 mins. Ndombele was starting to struggle by 70 mins once again.

I didn't say anything for a long time, but he's surely had enough time to adjust. Fitness is the easy part, eat right, work out. Don't have to think about tactics, develop great technique, there's no performance anxiety or pressure.

He just needs time to improve his fitness. The effort level is totally different to last season, now he is always trying hard with and without the ball.

He's starting regular matches and played for 75 minutes against Leeds, he just needs more football, more training sessions. In time his legs and lungs will improve and allow him to stay explosive beyond the initial 30 minutes.
I can respect this view, even though I'm not as optimistic. Just very annoying how some users think this is no longer an issue.

When you compare a player like Bergwijn, PEH, or a recent addition to the PL like Fernandes covering every blade of grass week in week out, Ndombele's lack of zip is incredibly irritating.

Back
Top Bottom