Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Messi is better but I think Cristiano will have a stronger end to his career
Probably but then as an athlete Cristiano is physically superior to Messi, which will help him have greater longevity.

I'd say Ronaldo is just about the perfect footballing specimen. If you could build a footballer physically you'd make them like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Difference between Maradona and Messi was that Maradona was doing drugs, eating like sht and partying all night while still dominating. Imagine if he actually took care of himself and got pampered like many of the multimillion dollar players today.

Same thing with the Lebron vs Jordan argument. Jordan would be out past midnight on game nights, play 36 holes, eat McDonalds then drop 50 on teams. LeBron spends a million dollars or more out of pocket just to take care of his body.

Different eras.

Mentality is overrated.

Messi is better FOOTBALLER. He can do more things than Ronaldo. When we measure GOATs, you have to look what are they on the pitch. And Ronaldo was always a winger or nowadays number 9.

Messi is a lot more.

Mentality is overrated.

Messi is better FOOTBALLER. He can do more things than Ronaldo. When we measure GOATs, you have to look what are they on the pitch. And Ronaldo was always a winger or nowadays number 9.

Messi is a lot more.

Mentality overrated - bizarre.

Adel Taarabt was one of the most talented footballers as was let's say Tony Drago in terms of snooker players.

They both had suspect mentality hence were lesser in overall terms.

Lewis Hamilton is not just an extraordinary talent but has a strength of mind second to none.

I accept sheer talent is largely unquantifiable and hard to better but to dismiss or fail to recognise the full breadth of the importance of mentality seems completely flawed to me.

Neither Messi or Ronaldo can be questioned on that front but in a game and if it were my call I would take Ronaldo over Messi.

I'd agree with that at his best Maradona is the biggest footballing talent i've ever seen.

Messi (and Ronaldo) are amazing for their consistency but for a one-off game prime Diego would be the first player i'd pick.

I'd say the real Ronaldo, in his Barca spell, was the most sensational player (without the longevity after his body blew up). Incredible. Though Scarlett is very close.

The easiest way to tell that someone has never played football to any sort of decent level is that they think, without bias, that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi.

He heads better. That is it.

He's not even top 5 all time.

The easiest way to tell that someone has never played football to any sort of decent level is that they think, without bias, that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi.

In terms of talent there are only two players who can play in midfield and run a game with passing and creativity setting up goals then play on the wing and beat players for fun and then play up front and score loads. They are Messi and Maradona the most complete footballers of all time. By coincidence both are Argentinian.

Christiano Ronaldo is very much in the top 10 though and you can argue the toss on Pele, fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc.

Last edited:

Hahahahahha

what level have you played in Pinner?

In terms of talent there are only two players who can play in midfield and run a game with passing and creativity setting up goals then play on the wing and beat players for fun and then play up front and score loads. They are Messi and Maradona the most complete footballers of all time. By coincidence both are Argentinian.
Exactly.

Write down a list of the most important attributes of a footballer and Messi comes out on top in nearly every one of them.

Ronaldo certainly can't pass the ball like Messi.

Back
Top Bottom