Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton | Wednesday 9 Feb | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know if it is considered bad form on these boards to mention an opposing player in a positive way but I couldn't help thinking yesterday how much I wish Spurs had a player like James Ward-Prowse.

I don't know if it is considered bad form on these boards to mention an opposing player in a positive way but I couldn't help thinking yesterday how much I wish Spurs had a player like James Ward-Prowse.

He's a good player but let's be real, every half decent player that comes up against this midfield are gonna look good.

You're gonna see people cream their pants over Neves on Sunday, watch.

He's a good player but let's be real, every half decent player that comes up against this midfield are gonna look good.

You're gonna see people cream their pants over Neves on Sunday, watch.
In terms of his ability to make a crossing pass or a shot from distance it would be really good to have a player with that skill set.

the problem here is sanchez, he is marking romero's man
then yes, winks could have solved the problem
and kulu should have controlled the number 15

Not at all.

This is the problem with a photo. It tells you nothing apart from that split second in time.

6 seconds before the ball is played in Romero is actually in the middle of the pitch with harry winks.

Sanchez and Royal are with their number 10 and Davies is the deepest defender with 2 Soton players either side.

Play moves on 3 seconds Sanchez has moved over to cover 17, Davies covers 18. All 3 players are just inside the box.
Romero is getting back into position as the ball goes wide. He is not in the box yet.

Play moves on 1 more second - Romero gets back, Davies passes him 17 and goes towards the ball. Royal now has 10.

Second before the cross is played 17 moves out of the box leaving Sanchez goal side on 18 (his man) and Romero free in front of 18. 15 is free at the far side no one near him - which is to be expected. Kulu probably 5 yards too far over - which would put him directly in line with number 24 and aware of him.

1 second to go 24 has made his run into the gap and just needs a decent pass to get a free run and header .

So 5 seconds play in real time and at no point is Romero close to being goal side of number 18. It’s not his man. Sanchez has done his job.

At no point do the midfield two look over their shoulder to scan his run or get a call from 1 defender telling them he’s making a run.

By the time Sanchez spots him he doesn’t actually tell anyone but it’s literally a second before the ball is played so too late anyway.

Conte will have had a field day with that today. Central midfielders not looking over their shoulder….

They were only better because we were so abjectly, dismally inept at passing the ball to another member of our own team, as we have been for ages.
I’d like to know what training routines we do as our possesion play is shocking! We don’t look couched at all. We only create chances if the opposition fuck up or Kane / Moura make some thing happen. How comes soton with players like Armstrong and orereo can play better football than us and create proper chances. You can’t tell me they have better players.

It's just simply unforgivable that KWP was playing and starring for them last night and we had donkey Emerson playing for us, KWP came through our fucking academy and had been at the club since he was a kid, what the actual fuck is that about!?

This fucking club...so frustrating!

It's especially annoying when you consider we have HG issues. Keeping him would've killed two birds with one stone, and we wouldn't have needed to drop 50m on total duds in Aurier, Doherty or Emerson. Just next level frustrating shite.

I just don’t know why we are persisting with a back 3. We don’t have the players for it. I’d rather sera 442 or even a 451.
Not 100% convinced on Conte yet. Makes some fucking odd selections and is slow to change things.
Totally agree keeps persisting with playing crap players or ones not suitable for his defensive system. I can’t remember many games where we have come out and taken the game to the opposition. It’s just the bad days of Maureen but with even more defenders. Wouldn’t it be nice to come out like soton did especially at home and batter the opposition? We just a slow defensive gane and wait for some magic to come off at the front which invariably it doesn’t. It’s like people use ti say under Jose we basically have to score from every one of the very few chances we actually create. It was sustainable under him and it isn’t now. Wonder how we would play under say Ralf? What would be his tactics if he was in charge of us. Conte May have passion but doesn’t appear to be transferring it to the players yet.

Sorry, Winks turnover after our free kick that resulted in a 2 on 1 was a better scoring chance than allowing 2 crosses from 30+ yards out. Winks is just lucky his didn't turn into a goal.
That was so pathetic ! We had free kick in their half and what do we do ? We go back and he gets caught. Can’t remember what the score was at the time. However whenever we have a throw in , free kick or oppo to go forward we always go back. How many times do you see our players get the ball and then turn backwards to our own goal instead of moving forward?

Totally agree keeps persisting with playing crap players or ones not suitable for his defensive system. I can’t remember many games where we have come out and taken the game to the opposition. It’s just the bad days of Maureen but with even more defenders. Wouldn’t it be nice to come out like soton did especially at home and batter the opposition? We just a slow defensive gane and wait for some magic to come off at the front which invariably it doesn’t. It’s like people use ti say under Jose we basically have to score from every one of the very few chances we actually create. It was sustainable under him and it isn’t now. Wonder how we would play under say Ralf? What would be his tactics if he was in charge of us. Conte May have passion but doesn’t appear to be transferring it to the players yet.

He absolutely is. We're running as much or more than any team in the league. It's just not as cohesive as we'd like it to be because he's been here a matter of months and he hasn't set out his team. Southampton are a team comfortable in their system with players who know their role. They looked a much better unit than us as a result.

Our xG vs Southampton was 1.68 which isn't all that low, so the 'score from every chance' stuff is wrong. Our xG in general under Conte has been pretty high. We create opportunities, we're just a mess in defence and can't control games. We usually have phases in games where we look good and large parts where we can't get our shit together.

Our issue in a game where we score 2 and concede 3 is not chance creation. Period.

Good enough to totally outplay us and create umpteen chances?

Yeah I disagree with that. They're a good team, not long ago they outplayed City and were good value for a draw. This was always going to be a hard game against a side who press extremely well and have nothing to fear at all. Southampton is almost never an easy game, even when we absolutely battered them it was more a case of the game running away from them than it being a pushover.

They play physical, energetic football and have the best set piece man in world football and a proper handful of a CF in Broja. I went to watch them at St Mary's earlier in the season and they completely dominated Leeds. A lot of our fans went in to this one thinking it would be a walkover when it was always a fucking hard game against a proper PL side who are ALWAYS game.

Yeah I disagree with that. They're a good team, not long ago they outplayed City and were good value for a draw. This was always going to be a hard game against a side who press extremely well and have nothing to fear at all. Southampton is almost never an easy game, even when we absolutely battered them it was more a case of the game running away from them than it being a pushover.

They play physical, energetic football and have the best set piece man in world football and a proper handful of a CF in Broja. I went to watch them at St Mary's earlier in the season and they completely dominated Leeds. A lot of our fans went in to this one thinking it would be a walkover when it was always a fucking hard game against a proper PL side who are ALWAYS game.
they've also been on the other end of some terrible defeats in recent seasons .... that probably increases expectation of a easy win, rightly or wrongly

I can't help but think we fucked up by not man marking JWP lurking outside the box at all times. Dude has become effing dangerous from pretty much any part of the final third.

Leaving him alone after he had just assisted their second was amateur hour. You HAVE to mark the hot hand when they get hot.

not just lack of leadership though, lack of football intellect from fucking midfielders who dont have the savvy to look behind to see if theres any danger. fucking braindead shit. shouldnt need to have their arses wiped by someone who has the bottle to open their mouth and talk to teammates.
We've had a lack of on field leadership for more than 20 years.

Our fans are melting. Last night is not the be all and end all, nor were our good performances vs Brighton, Leicester.

United aren't very good given what they've spent, Woolwich and West Ham are decent on their day. We're not a great amount better or worse than any of them. Top four is attainable, we have a great coach, some excellent players, some who can waver between 2 and 8/10 depending on which way the wind blows. For some people the last game is the only one that's ever been played.

I don't know what's going to happen, nor does anybody else, but I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of the season and avoid all this aching over Emerson and Harry Winks.

Back
Top Bottom