Germany vs England

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you alright? Germany haven't lost under Flick yet and although they might not be as strong as they have been, still have a number of top players. A point away to Germany is a good result no matter who you are for fuck sake. Even more so on the back of a loss and a dodgy performance.
Because anyone who hasn't got brain damage can tell you that Southgate's brand of football is fucking dogshit and that the only chance of us getting silverware is to get miraculously get luckier than we were in the Euros.

Pickford is a massive problem

Would be nowhere near a top 4 side. Jumpy, immature and erratic, as per Hart Guradiola would show him the door and so would everyone else

Apparently he keeps the England psychologist very busy compared to the other players. They really have to work hard with him and his concentration etc.

Because anyone who hasn't got brain damage can tell you that Southgate's brand of football is fucking dogshit and that the only chance of us getting silverware is to get miraculously get luckier than we were in the Euros.

I'd take boring football all day long if it means making semi-finals and finals regularly.

I don't either, but we have played 4-3-3 before with Maguire and Stones as the two CB's. We can certainly play that way against Wales, Iran and the USA later this year. At the end of the day you should always play to your strengths. England's are pace out wide and the fact that we have a world-class, elite striker. Rice doesn't play in a midfield two for his club and neither does Phillips or Bellingham, so England shouldn't be forcing any of them to either.

England's main strength isn't pace out wide; it's the multi-dimensional attaking quality of players like Kane, Foden, Bellingham, Grealish, Bowen and the fact we have a multitude of top RBs.

Sterling is merely an outlier.

England's main strength isn't pace out wide; it's the multi-dimensional attaking quality of players like Kane, Foden, Bellingham, Grealish, Bowen and the fact we have a multitude of top RBs.

Sterling is merely an outlier.

When you can choose from Sterling, Foden, Saka, Grealish, Bowen, Sancho, Smith-Rowe and Rashford to play in the two positions wide of Kane, I'd say that's a big strength. And the fact that a few of them are rapid should also be a big strength when Harry drops deep so that they can run in behind, as Son often does for us.

Don't think so, not that it should make a difference, the players look shattered - De Bruyne and Van Dijk already came out and said it was a hindrance playing these matches.

They ought to be on holiday by now, it's madness that they are playing 2 weeks after the season finished.

That's why I can't take and drop in performances right now as anything other than physical and mental fatigue related.

The drop in performances started in September.

People expect us to blow everyone away it seems. We're a solid, difficult to beat side that plays on the counter and generally perform better against sides that attack us and don't just sit back. People should be absolutely fine with that. Despite us being sloppy with the ball yesterday, we created more chances and came closer to scoring more than the Germans did. Those are facts. Of course we can play better, but if we're dissapointed that we only drew away from home against an in-form Germany side then that can only be a good thing.

Still you project on others and continue in denial; on the basis that their concerns stem from just one game and ought to be eradicated by the last 20mins of last night.

Most teams won't push up on us and attack because on paper we represent something to be feared..... Then what?

Still you project on others and continue in denial; on the basis that their concerns stem from just one game and ought to be eradicated by the last 20mins of last night.

Most teams won't push up on us and attack because on paper we represent something to be feared..... Then what?

Even if you take away the last part of the game, it's hardly like England were getting pummelled. How many genuine chances did Germany create? How many good saves did Pickford have to make? I can't think of more than one. They had lots of the ball and we were sloppy in possession due to their press. But it's hardly like we were getting battered and the woodwork or Pickford was saving us again and again.

We had more chances in the last 15-20 minutes than they had all game. And it's not like we also didn't create anything until the last bit of the game. Before that I recall Harry missing a bit of a sitter, Saka putting one just the wrong side of the post, Bellingham having a strike that look like it was heading in blocked by a defender...

Even if you take away the last part of the game, it's hardly like England were getting pummelled. How many genuine chances did Germany create? How many good saves did Pickford have to make? I can't think of more than one. They had lots of the ball and we were sloppy in possession due to their press. But it's hardly like we were getting battered and the woodwork or Pickford was saving us again and again.

We had more chances in the last 15-20 minutes than they had all game.

We could have been 3-0 down in the first half...... Save off the line, one offside goal and one missed sitter (can't remember the German player).

So..... When are you going to acknowledge the weaker performances hark back as far as September rather than hiding behind last night as an isolated occasion?

.......Still waiting.

The only games we've looked remotely comfortable is vs the joke teams that bleed goals for fun.

We have 2 choices; a) close our eyes and sleepwalk into the WC pretending all is good and that another semi or better awaits.

......Or b) we can honestly assess our situation (whilst there's still time) without deploying an apologists mentality.

I vote B.

England's last golden gen petered out like a damp firework...... Belgium's has just about finished doing the same...... Next WC might be too late for Kane, but I wouldn't put it past the FA for GS to still be in the job; so let's evolve now rather than repeat the same mistakes for the next 4 years sheltering under a bogus "hard to beat" narrative that doesn't play to our strengths.

For all his FA-friendly qualities, if SG can't coach the attacking phases of the game then why not get someone who can to work alongside him?

Last edited:
We are more talking about the intensity than the performances if anything.

We were crap/outplayed for large portions of games Vs Hungary (x2), Poland, Switzerland. 3 of which were WC qualifiers that demanded proper application.

Not seeing out the win in Poland was particularly bad.

We could have been 3-0 down in the first half...... Save off the line, one offside goal and one missed sitter (can't remember the German player).

So..... When are you going to acknowledge the weaker performances hark back as far as September rather than hiding behind last night as an isolated occasion?

.......Still waiting.

The only games we've looked remotely comfortable is vs the joke teams that bleed goals for fun.

We have 2 choices; a) close our eyes and sleepwalk into the WC pretending all is good and that another semi or better awaits.

......Or b) we can honestly assess our situation (whilst there's still time) without delopying an apologists mentality.

I vote B.

England's last golden gen petered out like a damp firework...... Belgium's has just about finished doing the same...... Next WC might be too late for Kane, but I wouldn't put it past the FA for GS to still be in the job; so let's evolve now rather than repeat the same mistakes for the next 4 years sheltering under a bogus "hard to beat" narrative that doesn't plat to our strengths.

For all his FA-friendly qualities, if SG can't coach the attacking phases of the game then why not get someone who can to work alongside him?

An offside goal doesn't count when it's clearly offside., You're clutching at straws a bit there. I also never said that Germany didn't have some dangerous moments. Just that considering they had almost 70% of the ball, England still had more of them. And so we should, as I wouldn't swap Kane, Sterling, Foden and Grealish for Werner, Gnabry, Havertz and an ageing Muller. That's for sure.

England's performances have been far from great since we beat Ukraine 0-4, in a game I thought we were excellent. You're acting like I've said all is perfect and there's not a thing wrong or nothing to improve on, which is nonsense. But the facts are that England rarely lose games, they have one of the best defensive records around and the fact that Southgate hasn't unlocked anything like the true attacking potential of the side yet (perhaps he never will) it can only be a good thing for our national side going forward.

When you can choose from Sterling, Foden, Saka, Grealish, Bowen, Sancho, Smith-Rowe and Rashford to play in the two positions wide of Kane, I'd say that's a big strength. And the fact that a few of them are rapid should also be a big strength when Harry drops deep so that they can run in behind, as Son often does for us.
Pace alone matters little…. Timing of Sons runs is an artform, not a physical strength. Rashford is a dumb cunt in comparison, always offside etc

ESR best hope of mirroring Sons link up with Kane, Saka and Sterling no hope either

Pace alone matters little…. Timing of Sons runs is an artform, not a physical strength. Rashford is a dumb cunt in comparison, always offside etc

ESR best hope of mirroring Sons link up with Kane, Saka and Sterling no hope either

Rashford is no longer in the squad. But Sterling has the ability to run in behind and make the most of one of Kane's best strengths. I believe Bowen will too. Germany's defence don't push up the pitch much at all, which didn't leave any space behind for Kane to exploit with his passing when dropping deep. Other nations will.

Rashford is no longer in the squad. But Sterling has the ability to run in behind and make the most of one of Kane's best strengths. I believe Bowen will too. Germany have a slow back line and don't push up the pitch much at all, which didn't leave any space behind for Kane to exploit with his passing when dropping deep. Other nations will.
Why has Sterling so rarely done that? He’s played 70 games with Kane and I don’t remember a fluid, attacking move like Kane/Son.

Sterling needs to be dropped - he’s no threat through runs in behind, he’s like a Lucas style thunder ball runner just flying into the box with the ball, hoping someone panics

Why has Sterling so rarely done that? He’s played 70 games with Kane and I don’t remember a fluid, attacking move like Kane/Son.

Sterling needs to be dropped

Why on earth would you drop someone with a record of a goal ever other game over the last two years for England?

We don't have anyone who makes the runs Son does on a regular basis. Sterling will do it occasionally (but playing the same way with him as we do with Son would be a bad idea anyway, he isn't clinical) yet still not enough. Most of our pacey wide players want it to feet so they can dribble.

Rashford would've fit the bill as a Son type player, not as good obviously but a couple of years ago he was looking like a discount Mbappe. Fast, powerful runner, quick feet & good finisher. Now his game has gone to shit.

Back
Top Bottom