Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm surprised there's relativity little knee jerking going on.

Most of the abuse seems to be directed at our defence and Rose and not replacing them in the summer.

Nothing has changed pre TS regarding the level we are at. There is nothing he can do to change that. However, as before, we will put this result behind us and march on. TS, got us to a situation where, we were consistent enough to beat the fodder (no disrespect to the crappy teams in the PL). Everton are fading away hopefully and Liverpool , for all their brilliances are still only a place above us , 3 pts. I would have taken this position now, when TS took over including be very pleased that the scum have lost top spot (can you imagine how gutted they will be, having been so close, if they miss out on the PL title. Lose to City (blip), the scum lose the PL (devastation) sorted. lets just get back into winning ways. Liverpool will be our cup final.

I don't think it's such a bad thing being in EL. It's hardly effecting us this season, we haven't been in the other cups long enough to accumulate fatigue.

Plus next year EL win = CL qualification.

It's not effecting us yet, but we always suffer a dip in form in mid February at the exact point when the Europa games start up again.

We've got a squad which might be able to deal with the extra games this season - as long as we don't let people like Holtby and Capoue leave.

Absolutly correct when you say we lost individual battles, literally from back to front of our team we were out played. They were individulay more skillful, quicker, more agressive, passed better the list goes on. With time we had to prepare for this game there really should be no excuses. Other lesser teams have prepared well to play against them and have come away with something. Even teams that ended up loseing against them have come away boosted by their performance (e.g. Liverpool). We come away from another game having been battered and totally embarrassed.

IMO Dawson and Vlad are both better than Demichelis. Seeing Demichelis on the team sheet was my only glimmer of hope pre-game as I thought we would at least look to have Ade expose him, but instead Ade sat on the shoulder of Kompany all night, highlights our woeful preparation. Lloris is better than Hart (but since we have ditched the high line, he is now probably comparable with Hart and others. Playing the highline showed him off as something very different). As for keeping your best players……...we are not in that league, we have to sell as our global fan base doesn't generate enough income, our stadium size doesn't generate enough match day income, that leaves us having to sell players, something you will have to accept I am afraid.

God I forgot that we'd had about 9 days to prepare for this one. 9 whole fucking days of studying the opposition and Timmy couldn't work out we might need someone to sit in front of the defence. Or maybe to put out a a team that could defend with strength and numbers and then counter attack. No instead he put sigurdsson on the wing offering no protection for rose against one of the best attacking and defensive full backs in the league and one of the fastest right wingers.
And bentaleb in the middle. WHY??!!

That was a difficult game to watch. They are so superior in every department that I don't think Sandro, Vertonghen, Paulinho and Kaboul would have made a huge difference. That isn't to say we are pretty hampered without those four but City, as my mate pointed out, win games 5-0, 6-0 the way other teams win them 2-0....I'd be worried if they ever played at full speed.

I don't blame our team, although our passing wasn't good yesterday but a contentious decision (from my seat in the Park Lane it looked a good tackle but having seen it on TV it was a little rash) finished the game.

I'll be happy if the team focus on a strong final fifteen minutes of the first half and keep plugging away at the winnable matches.

God I forgot that we'd had about 9 days to prepare for this one. 9 whole fucking days of studying the opposition and Timmy couldn't work out we might need someone to sit in front of the defence. Or maybe to put out a a team that could defend with strength and numbers and then counter attack. No instead he put sigurdsson on the wing offering no protection for rose against one of the best attacking and defensive full backs in the league and one of the fastest right wingers.
Because he's not a professional manager yet - let's hope as little damage is done until the summer and the Van Gaal pre-contract is well underway

Even worse than that Sherwood made the call to give our players time off!!! Time off ahead of playing City WTF!!! He came out and stated that he wished he could have time to work with the players when he took over but couldn't becuase the games were comming "thick & fast" what a wasted opportunity!!

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's relativity little knee jerking going on.

Most of the abuse seems to be directed at our defence and Rose and not replacing them in the summer.

Cant see why anyone is abusing Rose, he played well.

Oh and as for your kneejerkers, look just above this post :avbfacepalm:

If we were not in the Europa league I think I would have smashed my Tv by now. Because out the league cup at home to west ham and F A cup away to Woolwich. And as for the league we have not beat one of the top 4 yet this season or even 6th Everton so really we are winning games we are expected to. And let's not forget united with the players they have got to come back and the mata signing 4th is not as close as people think

PhillyHotsspot post: 473728 said:
Tough to blame the zebras

Spurs got a few calls this year that worked in our favor. Didn't happen tonight

Siggy has no business on the pitch vs a team of that quality

And Timmy's dance w/ the devil finally burns him good as a DM would have obviously minimized all that space in front of the back 4 (just look at CIty's first goal as Silva drops a gem of a pass w/ Dembele no where to be found)

EIther way, glad the loss came vs City and bring on Hull.
Absofuckinglutely spot on.........and I know we lost rose to a dubious decision but Naughton, really? I think wed get better service from a shop dummy. The guy is clueless full stop and should never step on the field again in a prem match. Preferably not europa either. Cmon weasel give up the (ive gotta make a name for myself so ill throw a child in) Bentaleb pet project

I very much doubt I am the only one here who thinks the players we have brought in fall short of amazing quality. They are not underperforming. They were never good enough to go to the ambitious clubs. If they were, we wouldn't have got them.

I do feel this is an over stated point. What is amazing Quality? If we put the Spurs kit on City, we would win the PL. Does it really work like that? Do you want it to work like that? City and Chelsea have bought themselves to the top, sold their souls. Their fans can have their hollow victories, expensive pies and empty seats. When our day comes it will be better than the double winning side back in the 60's. I'm sure of it.

Absofuckinglutely spot on.........and I know we lost rose to a dubious decision but Naughton, really? I think wed get better service from a shop dummy. The guy is clueless full stop and should never step on the field again in a prem match. Preferably not europa either. Cmon weasel give up the (ive gotta make a name for myself so ill throw a child in) Bentaleb pet project
If the PL started when TS took over, we would be second behind City. Thats with the players we have fit . who know what will happen when players return. Vlad, Sandro, Paulinho? Lets get over this and move forward. enjoy the fact that the scum have lost top spot. They will be devastated.

I do feel this is an over stated point. What is amazing Quality? If we put the Spurs kit on City, we would win the PL. Does it really work like that? Do you want it to work like that? City and Chelsea have bought themselves to the top, sold their souls. Their fans can have their hollow victories, expensive pies and empty seats. When our day comes it will be better than the double winning side back in the 60's. I'm sure of it.

Agreed and i for one cant wait to hoverboard up and down the high road smashed out of my skull :holtbytongue:

If we were not in the Europa league I think I would have smashed my Tv by now. Because out the league cup at home to west ham and F A cup away to Woolwich. And as for the league we have not beat one of the top 4 yet this season or even 6th Everton so really we are winning games we are expected to. And let's not forget united with the players they have got to come back and the mata signing 4th is not as close as people think

We've had a fair few bad defeats this season, I wonder if there's ever been a season where we suffered so many high scoring defeats?

We've had a fair few bad defeats this season, I wonder if there's ever been a season where we suffered so many high scoring defeats?

I'd rather lose 3 (so far) games heavily, and finish top 4/5 than losing 20+ games 1 or 2-0 and struggling near the bottom of the league!
Man City are a freak of nature... we probably mentally wrote off our chances in both games... and at least we're not alone in being on the end of a spanking from them! (mind you, twice is a little hard to take!)
the 0-5 v LIVERPOOL is the one that will potentially really hurt us come May!

Not sure where the meltdown is coming from but lets address some of the points some people are taking issue with.
Ok we started with a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1 whatever you want to call it without a recognised holding midfielder. We conceded 5 on the night but only one of those was when we had no DM. We had a pretty rough first 30 but after that we came into the game pressuring the City back line creating a couple chances and having a goal ruled out when it could easily have stood. Really are we taking issue with the first 45 minutes of the game?

Second half Rose gets sent off and a penalty is given when he clearly gets the ball the lino deciding he doesn't like us very much. At this point can you really blame the team or the manager? We are 2-0 down with 10 men when it could easily be 1-1 with 11 on the pitch. If the game had finished 3-1 no one would have taken issue but this is a City team hungry for goals what did you expect?

If we take the same passion into the game at the weekend we will easily take all 3 points.

Back
Top Bottom