Tottenham Hotspur v Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh, it's in all bold, so it must be true.

First of all, let's not assume that he is the subject of much of any publicity, so I struggle to understand what you are eluding to. Do you really think that there is a systematic plot against him?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Fazio get a little more time in the back in place of Dier, but Chiriches is a not the answer. He has absolutely contributed directly to us conceding, but more often than not it is his inability to cover well and make risky plays that has created problems in the back.

Yes and so has vertonghen, but the point is who has contributed more to us conceding goals Chiriches or Dier?, quite simply it is Dier and i am sure if anyone could find the stats for this it will back it up.It reminds me of Naughton last year playing as a left back, he looked shaky and got a lot of stick for it but he hardly directly contributed to us conceding. what i mean by that is being the second or last man with an attacker running at him. it takes experience and confidence to intelligently time a last man tackle, Dier still isn't good enough yet.

Surely you have supporterd Spurs long enough. It's called Levy logic. Ignores the managers plea for certain players ie Schneiderlin, Musachio etc and goes out for average 2nd rate players like Stambouli and fazio. Not one player we have bought in the summer has improved us. The reason why we have been doing well is purely down to our home grown and Lloris. All of Stambouli, Davies, Fazio etc have been shite lets be honest. Levy needs to pull his finger out his ass this summer and buy quality the bald wanker

Agree with this 100% (not sure I'd call levy a bald wanker) this summer is going to be as defining as we have had. We have a manager and young players we love but there is a need for some real extra quality to go to the next level. The alternative is to remain as we are.

No cheap harry half job buys please levy.

Agreed mate. Haven't read the whole thread but my impression was most Spurs fans recognize they need time but are frustrated that Poch doesn't protect / rest / educate Mason a bit more.

Actually, there suddenly appears to now be a growing, knee-jerk, anti-Mason response over this one game. Suddenly he can't cut it in this league and there has a been a contingent of supporters who always thought that he was overrated and just can't hack it.

I'm not defending them because they were poor yesterday, but both Dier and Mason seem to be unfairly targeted and scapegoats for what happened yesterday.

It also didn't help that walker was abysmal .Manu basically just tore them two to shreds. Walker should not be playing every game, he was out of ages and should be rotated with an established right back. once again that clown levy shot spurs in the foot by letting naughton go. Meanwhile we have an inexperienced mls player who is yet to be found. I am pretty sure naughton would easily have slotted in to rightback to replace a faltering walker.

I think Fazio and Vertonghen is our best CB pairing. I also think Kaboul has enough experience to sometimes see the pitch. I dont think Dier is much better than Vlad.

So at the end of the day its not like we are playing much superior player in Dier.

He's as hot and cold as the rest of them, but no one else is getting a shot to make a claim for the spot next to Verts.
I like Fazio, as I've mentioned to you before, but he's not exactly experienced in the team or in this league. Kaboul can have the odd, good game in him but there would have been no way that anyone would have picked him to start that game yesterday. When it comes to our midfield, it's even worse. I've seen at least two other people make comments how we need to have more "experienced" players in midfield at times, but the problem is that we don't really have that at the moment.

Yes and so has vertonghen, but the point is who has contributed more to us conceding goals Chiriches or Dier?, quite simply it is Dier and i am sure if anyone could find the stats for this it will back it up.It reminds me of Naughton last year playing as a left back, he looked shaky and got a lot of stick for it but he hardly directly contributed to us conceding. what i mean by that is being the second or last man with an attacker running at him. it takes experience and confidence to intelligently time a last man tackle, Dier still isn't good enough yet.
The stats will show when a person's mistake directly leads to a goal (i.e. wayward pass across goal gets intercepted and gets immediately slotted into goal). Vlad's stats do show that he had one last year, but the reality is that his defensive frailties and inability to know who he was supposed to defend allowed a lot of easy goals against us. There's no easy stat to see those so we can't debate the numbers, but the reality is that he is the definition of a high-risk/high-reward player. He will make some great, gutsy plays that work out fantastic for us and him, but these tendencies also allows him to over-commit, get pulled out of position, and make some absolute howlers of plays.

Shit load of analysis about why we found Fellaini so hard to deal with. He sat in between Dier and Mason and neither knew what to do. Carra insistent Dier should have gone across to help out Walker when Fellaini was running the channel as Walker had Young to deal with. Dier didn't as Mason was running after him but wasn't goal-side. That left space for Carrick.

Both Nev and Carra thought Verts should have taken control and pushed Dier across. Dier too inexperienced to read game so verts should have realized.

Second half we put Bentaleb to man-mark Fellaini which Carra likened to a back three and didn't really like.

They are both wrong - you need a tighter defensive unit not a more stretched one.

Walker and Rose needed to forget the wingers when they were on the touchline, they've still got loads to do from there.

You always defend the width of your penalty first and foremost - I'm surprised two players with such experience said that.

I've seen at least two other people make comments how we need to have more "experienced" players in midfield at times, but the problem is that we don't really have that at the moment.

Well Capoue, Stambouli and Dembele are actually experienced enough to see far more game time than they get, IMO.

Agree with this 100%

How can you agree with something that digs Levy Logic as making poor signings, and in the same post points out the decent ones.

Levy signed every single player at the club and built our academy, so maybe think about that with all this lauding of certain members in the squad..

How can you agree with something that digs Levy Logic as making poor signings, and in the same post points out the decent ones.

Levy signed every single player at the club and built our academy, so maybe think about that with all this lauding of certain members in the squad..

I think the academy and our signings are somewhat different. I have nothing nothing against Stambouli and Fazio I just think we may need to up the quality and that sometimes means spending more than £5 million.

We don't need sqaud players that's for our youth team to fill we need top quality.

Well Capoue, Stambouli and Dembele are actually experienced enough to see far more game time than they get, IMO.
Well, Dembele is the most experienced, Capoue has played a total of 36 games since joining us, and Stambouli is still only 24 and wouldn't be what I would call a really well-seasoned, experienced midfielder and we can only call anyone of them is in relation to the kids we have playing there now. Move them into a lot of other teams and they could/would be considered to be junior players.

I frankly think that experience is important, but it's definitely not everything. If we remember the period when we were without both Mason and Nabil, we looked flatter than flat and just terrible through the middle of the pitch.

I think the academy and our signings are somewhat different. I have nothing nothing against Stambouli and Fazio I just think we may need to up the quality and that sometimes means spending more than £5 million.

We don't need sqaud players that's for our youth team to fill we need top quality.

Who is it the clown that sanctions and scouts these players? Pochettino has stated these are not his players. I think stambouli is ok, Fazio is atrocious but they are no where near top4 or top 6 material. Why does Levy keep doing this?

We spent £8m on Fazio. It was clear to see from various reports he was slow and his key attribute was clearing set pieces, corners and blocking aerial threats. Yet once again we buy a player who doesn't have pace, nor can play a high line. I'll repeat the clown would suggested we buy him should be sacked with immediate effect, along with that con man baldini.

Success consists of moving forward more times than you fail.

I feel there is still a lot to play for. The momentum this season carries into next season. Poch was out smarted by LVG simple (novice v old guard). We need to remove all the negativity aimed at players. Some may not be up for it, thats football. Some surprise you and turn out very good, time will tell. No one on here can predict the right players for Tottenham?

It feel like disappointed brings out the individuals who feel obliged to moan. The ones who can talk in great detail of who and why and how much.....Levy nightmare and so on. We lost a game of football, the rest of the club is still in great shape and getting better including the squad.

I am sorry but there are too many people hiding behind too many if's and maybe's.

The simple facts are Spurs are 7th & have totally bollocked up the season thus far. Despite a massive resource on offer.

Europe. Farcical.

League Cup. Favorable ties, scrape job in semi final ( awful on reflection ) and a bitch slap at Wembley.

FA Cup. Leicester Fucking City @ Home

League. Lost to WBA, Newcastle & Stoke AT HOME ! Failed to take more than a point v Palace. Lucky away wins. 1 proper striker, 1 point out of 15 from games v top 5 away.... Progress ? What progress ?

Terrible performance.

Almost don't dare say it, but once again our AM 3 show way too little urgency, once again Kyle Walker struggles with even basic concepts of defending (starting to miss Corluka) and yet once again Mason and Bentaleb were inarguably overmatched in midfield and had no clue of how to defend the space ahead of the back 4.

If Charlie Slow had half of Walker's pace he would've been one of the best defenders in the world!

The truth is this team is overrated, 3 people have been carrying spurs over the last few months, KANE, ERIKSEN and LLORIS. The others have been passengers, Especially Bentaleb and Mason. I am sick to my stomach how spurs fans put on their spursy coloured glasses, just because their kids and homegrown. They simply aren't ready yet.The positions on the pitch where you need experience players is in central defence and central midfield. I was never a harry fan but he got that component right. You need a consistent establish midfield and central defence. Youth players need be introduced slowly into the team. Let them play cup and eruopa games. Put them alongside an expeirenced player. On the other hand Poch took the extreme approach,banishing Capoue, stambouli and chiriches.
Dier is another poor player. His errors always lead to us conceding,yet he keeps getting selected over chiriches.I thought we had turned a corner here with the 5-3 win over chelsea, but that's the problem 5-3, russian roulette style of play.We need to find a balance between attack and defence. It won't hurt shutting down a game at 1-0 on the 80th minute, we can never seem to do this. The only way we can win is by scoring 2-3 goals.

Not disagreeing with all your points but Chiriches is shit, an accident waiting to happen.

I like Fazio, as I've mentioned to you before, but he's not exactly experienced in the team or in this league. Kaboul can have the odd, good game in him but there would have been no way that anyone would have picked him to start that game yesterday. When it comes to our midfield, it's even worse. I've seen at least two other people make comments how we need to have more "experienced" players in midfield at times, but the problem is that we don't really have that at the moment.

Fazio should've been brought in to handle Felaini

Fazio is a limited player no doubt about it but I would have thought he would be the ideal player for the long ball game of manure. in the right situation he and vertonghen can and have been solid. not trying to scapegoat dier. he is young and he will need to develop the mental qualities for these sort of situations.

Back
Top Bottom