Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty dull series but the material with backroom staff is interesting. Jose seems a decent chap, his homespun philosophy would be grating to an educated person but probably goes down well with your average footballer.

I'll answer your one question by saying I don't think it's that black and white.
I genuinely believe, and have posted on TFC several times, that I think Eriksen, being an intelligent guy, had a career plan: Denmark > Ajax > Spurs > Real or Barca
When he and we were at peak Poch, circa 2018, Eriksen was the creative hub of a powerful, highly watchable, attacking Spurs team. I'm sure all the big clubs were looking at him.
bus-conductor bus-conductor and todd1882 todd1882 in another thread linked at the bottom have posted the material about Poch flying to Denmark to meet Eriksen and discuss his future.
Around that time and later, I suspect Real and Barca probably did sound out Eriksen's agent and Levy, and were quoted an impossible price.
As time progressed, Eriksen continued playing for us on a contract that was massively below his market value. He could have signed a new far more lucrative contract with Spurs, but as other posters have said, he would then have lost the ability to control his destination.
So he declined new contract offers to give him the power to decide his future.
If Real Madrid or Barca had agreed a fee with Levy in say the summer of 2019, I genuinely do not think the size of his salary would have been a barrier to the deal being done. I think he would have signed for less than the 260-320 per week Inter deal. Eriksen strikes me as that rare player for whom money is not the dominant driver.
Donki Donki I completely agree with you though that Levy would have been reluctant to match Eriksen's Inter contract because of the knock-on effects for other key players like Kane and Sonny.
And that Inter contract is also the major reason why I cannot see Eriksen returning to Spurs.

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/summer-2020-transfer-thread.34921/page-1308#post-2452770

Well thought out and hard to disagree with there is clearly a grey ground in there somewhere and we will more than likely not know the entire truth. There are too many ifs, buts and maybes.

I had this impression of a McLaren set-up, state of the art, data and stats everywhere, carefully planned and monitored training sessions. Just seems a bit "so erm, today, we'll just do an hour or two of light warming up"

People have training cycles and peaks, the bulk of training should be managed on an individual basis and rest time factored in. I know schedules are tight but everyone is physiologically different. Thought a sports nutritionist would be working with athletes and providing personalised meals...

It is. There’s a board up that can be seen in episode 4 and it details who has what on it at what time. You can’t see the players names, it’s cropped out, but the times and exercises are there.

Precisely so he had never any intention of signing a new contract with us, he blatantly lied in order to run his contract down, people siting the Documentary as the whole truth, there was a clear atmosphere in the meeting than seemed to go against the words being said.
If he had ended up in the same situation as Rose - only Bournemouth were ready to buy him - then he would have signed a new contract with us.

I think Eriksen always had a plan to travel elsewhere and play football somewhere else, fuck knows if the chances came I'd suspect anyone else would like to travel a bit and see the world while playing. A guy I know fairly well from the game got released by Wolves as a kid and ended up making a great life in America.

I also have a suspicion that Eriksen always had a plan to see this contract out to maximise his wages for his final major contract, which again, makes quite a lot of sense.

I think Eriksen always had a plan to travel elsewhere and play football somewhere else, fuck knows if the chances came I'd suspect anyone else would like to travel a bit and see the world while playing. A guy I know fairly well from the game got released by Wolves as a kid and ended up making a great life in America.

I also have a suspicion that Eriksen always had a plan to see this contract out to maximise his wages for his final major contract, which again, makes quite a lot of sense.

He spoke years ago of a career plan which read: Ajax >>> XXX >>> Spanish giant.

If his plan was always to see out his contract then why didn't he do that? He could have sat on the bench for 4 months and gone on a free, but he helped us get a reasonable fee.

Back
Top Bottom