Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People mention our support being polarised and a need for unity, I don't mind pochetino or FDb, but I'm not hugely keen on bergkamp being in the WHL dugout - surely a few bad results and he's an easy target.

I was thinking that it can't be a sacking...

I mean, just going off the normal sacking criteria, I've not seen AVB as a pundit on Soccer Saturday or ITV once since then..

:sherwoodlol::harrysmile:
I'm fairly sure that when you are in the middle of a period of employment that you have a contract for - and your boss tells you to fuck off, and pays you to leave - its a sacking.
If it makes you feel better about him, then lets say that he sacked Tottenham - at which point I'm sure that Levy would have been screwing him or his next employers for every penny.
But he didn't, did he?
It might have been reasonably amicable, and probably came as a relief for AVB, as he realised that one way or another, he was out of his depth.

Virgin Islands, really?
you're getting mighty anal, about something I'm treating as a joke. Maybe there were some pub sides you can drag out as well................
:)

Nah, half heartedly really. More so because a lot of people think Porto was his first job, so just continuing the pedantic side of things.

I'm fairly sure that when you are in the middle of a period of employment that you have a contract for - and your boss tells you to fuck off, and pays you to leave - its a sacking.
If it makes you feel better about him, then lets say that he sacked Tottenham - at which point I'm sure that Levy would have been screwing him or his next employers for every penny.
But he didn't, did he?
It might have been reasonably amicable, and probably came as a relief for AVB, as he realised that one way or another, he was out of his depth.

If you have a contract and you argue with the boss and walk out during a meeting saying "I quit" then it's not a sacking, but if your boss says "do you think you should stay" and you say "I don't think I can do the job any more" and your boss agrees, what is that? I think that's more likely to be what happened, and it's neither sacking or resigning, just kind of mutual

Why is FDB such a popular opinion?

Don't mean this to come off offensive at all, but you could use the search tool on this board alone and fine a plethora of well-written pieces in advocacy of hiring him or at least a spread of reasons why.

Last edited:
Not sure it's really fair to compare by win percentages, all the other managers listed have all managed bigger/more successful clubs than Southampton so you'd generally expect the win percentage at that club to be higher anyway.
So what are we meant to compare if not the results and performance? How do you quantify his ability or even suitability?

Benitez for example is well proven in the 3 major leagues - Pochettino has less than 40% win rates in the both teams he's managed so far

My point is - we've gone with far more 'proven' names in the past in Ramos and AVB - surely from here on we should expect someone who is really a step-up on those (along with Redknapp) not a back move? Pochettino has a shitter record than Pulis at Palace and almost on par with Sparky at Stoke ffs - give me a break. Some 'cool' sounding foreign journeyman who was once friends with someone famous.

Last edited:
So what are we meant to compare if not the results and performance? How do you quantify his ability or even suitability?

Based on AVB, Harry and Sherwood, I'd say it seems like the uglier he is, the more suitable for the job.

Find us a munter, levy! #RiberyIn

If you have a contract and you argue with the boss and walk out during a meeting saying "I quit" then it's not a sacking, but if your boss says "do you think you should stay" and you say "I don't think I can do the job any more" and your boss agrees, what is that? I think that's more likely to be what happened, and it's neither sacking or resigning, just kind of mutual

This is about exactly what I think happened. Levy met with him, stated the problems, AVB likely stated that he felt he was being blamed unfairly and was past a point where he felt he could rectify the situation due to damages done, and the two decided parting ways was in the best interest of the club. Midseason sackings are usually the result of emergency, and it didn't appear to me we had reached such a situation as of that point even after getting waxed at home by Liverpool. So given the lack of particularly extraneous circumstances, I think it's only reasonable therefore to assume the two men came to an extraneous agreement.

For what it's worth, Sherwood said on Goals on Sunday that Baldini consults closely with the manager and nobody is signed without the managers agreement.

You do realise absolutely no-one will take this on board and you will still see plenty of "DOF brought this player over the managers head" nonsense

Don't mean this to come off offensive at all, but you could use the search tool on this board alone and fine a plethora of well-written pieces in advocacy of hiring him or at least a spread of reasons why.
All the stuff I've read about him feels like it could've been lifted word for word from an article on AVB at Porto. At least AVB had done well in Europe to counter the fact he'd only excelled in one "one fish" league.

All the stuff I've read about him feels like it could've been lifted word for word from an article on AVB at Porto. At least AVB had done well in Europe to counter the fact he'd only excelled in one "one fish" league.

Big difference is he had 'winners' playing career which ought to give him extra kudos with both players and fans.

(I am aware of the number of highly successful managers with little or no playing careers just pointing out a significant difference between FDB and AVB)

That's fair, but the points made within have to be taken into some context. The biggest difference for me is that AVB directly inherited an extremely strong squad and succeeded in one year, while de Boer has had to field kids in a constantly evolving squad (especially at key positions) due to relentless poaching from Europe's biggest. De Boer has simply adapted the players coming through in replacement to adjust his system to make them effective while yet adhering to his plan. Given AVB's incredible stubbornness for his system, I'm not sure he would've prospered as well relatively speaking after that Porto squad was ripped apart by Europe's wealthiest clubs.

Back
Top Bottom