Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If after a year and £15m in wages he has only just figured something that important out we are fucked.

I didn’t watch the game so can make no comment on tonight’s performance but he’s watched those players train for a year now.

I’m hopeful he’s a better judge of a player than you credit him with.
He is and his record speaks for itself

That's fine just wanted to clarify it.

I didn't see anything in GLC to indicate that he was tired or injured, which is part of the reason i wondered if Jose had commented as there could have been an issue we don't know about. We needed his passing so unless he was injured, very odd to take him out, especially when they player PEH, Son and Kane who all would have needed a rest so we weren't worried about fitness concerns for our players.

For Vinicius if you want to take him out for Kane then why not wait until that move was made? I think there was zero reason to take him off for Kane anyways but since he was pulled before Kane came on it makes no sense to me.
It's open to interpretation but you can see after his hamstring injury, GLC had sat out for awhile. Even last week EL game, he only got about 10 minutes or so. That game, one could argue, GLC without any post injury caution would have started, or came on for 45 minute second half.

Similarly against Burnley. 10 or so minutes at the end.

If we had kept Vinicius until Kane came on, then it would mess up the balance. Lamela Vinicus Bale Son would mean Son being wasted to tracking back more. The key lies with GLC. Lamela was GLC sub. We just need some running power in Lucas as our full backs were tightly marked.

In my book they were.
Perhaps explain your "book" then....

- We dominated Newcastle but didn't score.
- Everton: We chugged away but created little.

Neither equate to "complacency"

You went back and edited one of your posts to mention Shkëndija..... We put 7 past them FFS!

Good one week, awful and complacent the next.
Repeating it doesn't make it true.

If we seriously believe that we can win something we need consistency of team selection (especially defence) and an on-field captain (there, said it again for the millionth time)
If were are to compete on 4 fronts then even the back 4 needs to be rotated... This season more than ever before.

Last edited:
To this day I have a soft spot for NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOO
s-l300.jpg
Played for Royal Antwerp too ...

If we had kept Vinicius until Kane came on, then it would mess up the balance. Lamela Vinicus Bale Son would mean Son being wasted to tracking back more. The key lies with GLC. Lamela was GLC sub. We just need some running power in Lucas as our full backs were tightly marked.

Then take Bale off or don’t bring in Son.

Son-Vinicius
Moura-Winks-PEH-Lamela

Doesn’t have Son tracking back too much and gives the FBs the support they need. I would obviously have removed Winjs as well but just addressing the Vinicius-Son playing together aspect here.

I think Mourinho's statement tonight said everything. Probationary period is now over and the players who were here before the last window have now been fully assessed and graded. I wouldn't plan on seeing some of them put on a Spurs shirt in the league again.
He feels everyone has been given sufficient chances to show how much they want to play for this club and there are no more excuses left for not committing to the cause.

His substitutions tonight showed just how much he wants this trophy to be the stepping stone for us and looking at the picture of him sitting on that bus leaving the ground was a sad sight. He was let down badly this evening and that will hurt him deeply. He never ever imagined having to make those 5 changes at half time, what manager would, but it really was forced upon him by the lethargic attitude of the whole team.

So we lick our wounds, address the frailties of our defence, examine the manner in which our attack was stifled by Antwerp and come back stronger and wiser for Brighton.

Last edited:
For Vinicius if you want to take him out for Kane then why not wait until that move was made? I think there was zero reason to take him off for Kane anyways but since he was pulled before Kane came on it makes no sense to me.
I don't get what's odd about subbing Vinicius for Kane under the circumstances. When you need a win, Kane is still a tiny bit better than Vinicius.. Or at least that's what Jose thinks, quite reasonably in my opinion.

That triangle looks suspiciously like Spurs tactic sheet tonight. Alli bumbles 5 yards forwards,turns around and passes it backwards to Winks who puts his foot on the ball and passes it sideways to the now retreated Ali who bumbles 5 yards forwards, turns around and passes it backwards to Winks who puts his foot on the ball and passes it sideways to the now retreated Ali .....

Back
Top Bottom