ARE WE GOING TO FINISH TOP HALF THIS SEASON?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The starting XI still needs at minimum a quality playmaker and a top quality CB to lead the defence and another good CB. The core rotation also needs about 3-4 players cos a few absences and we are starting the likes of Winks and Sissoko.

Anyone that feels that our squad is of similar quality and depth to the other top clubs is being disingenous or delusional.

The starting XI still needs at minimum a quality playmaker and a top quality CB to lead the defence and another good CB. The core rotation also needs about 3-4 players cos a few absences and we are starting the likes of Winks and Sissoko.

Anyone that feels that our squad is of similar quality and depth to the other top clubs is being disingenous or delusional.

I disagree. As I said yesterday every starting player on the pitch was an international with over 500 caps between them, some of them being amongst the first names on the team sheet for their international teams. All outfield players were under 30. The subs he brought on were all full internationals amongst a full bench of international players. Are all these international managers wrong? It is Mourinho that has developed none of them and it is Mourinho who cannot get them playing cohesively- nobody else. Apparently Skipp is doing really well at Norwich and was offered the chance to return this window but decided against it- perhaps he realises he will not be developed at Spurs. It is Mourinho playing players out of position and making odd substitutions. It is Mourinho who is persisting with tactics that don’t suit our players. It is Mourinho who is producing a brand of football that is so hard to watch. It is you who is delusional

I disagree. As I said yesterday every starting player on the pitch was an international with over 500 caps between them, some of them being amongst the first names on the team sheet for their international teams. All outfield players were under 30. The subs he brought on were all full internationals amongst a full bench of international players. Are all these international managers wrong? It is Mourinho that has developed none of them and it is Mourinho who cannot get them playing cohesively- nobody else. Apparently Skipp is doing really well at Norwich and was offered the chance to return this window but decided against it- perhaps he realises he will not be developed at Spurs. It is Mourinho playing players out of position and making odd substitutions. It is Mourinho who is persisting with tactics that don’t suit our players. It is Mourinho who is producing a brand of football that is so hard to watch. It is you who is delusional
Depending on the NT, some caps are worth less than others. International managers do not have much choice in which players are available to pick from. Rodon has 10 NT caps for Wales despite playing in the championship last season, which in turn sheds light on the value of the 66 caps that Davies has for the same Welsh NT.

The fact that you think that Mourinho should be developing players that are at the prime or past the prime of their careers shows how disingenous you comments are.

Depending on the NT, some caps are worth less than others. International managers do not have much choice in which players are available to pick from. Rodon has 10 NT caps for Wales despite playing in the championship last season, which in turn sheds light on the value of the 66 caps that Davies has for the same Welsh NT.

The fact that you think that Mourinho should be developing players that are at the prime or past the prime of their careers shows how disingenous you comments are.
Yep change your name mate - maybe El Delusiono or El Stupido take your pick

We have more quality than most We have two of the best forwards in World football and good centre midfielders. When we are allowed to attack like we did against Man United and in the second half against Southampton we are capable of ripping teams apart. Our manager has the team playing a cowardly brand of football that is so difficult to watch and not suited to our personnel. Our defence is placed under pressure for the best part of 90 minutes and any defence would struggle playing this way. I just don’t understand how you can defend it

Last edited:

Off course a Manager should be looking into improving his individual players, to get the most out of them.

Mourinho, has never been that, he always bought big in the transfer market, he won't get that here.

Mourinho didt rate, De bruyne, salah, lukaku,... Look how that talentspotting ended!

The 2-3 very good players we do have, he won't let them play with freedom

Off course a Manager should be looking into improving his individual players, to get the most out of them.

Mourinho, has never been that, he always bought big in the transfer market, he won't get that here.

Mourinho didt rate, De bruyne, salah, lukaku,... Look how that talentspotting ended!

The 2-3 very good players we do have, he won't let them play with freedom
You improve young players, not players past their prime. Also the player himself has to be coachable.

Its not about the price tag but the quality of the players.

De Bruyne left to get playing time, cos he was not good enough to be a regular at that stage and was tired of being sent out on loan. Lukaku wanted to be guaranteed a starter without earning it. Both KDB and Lukaku situations are common at big clubs where immediate results is priotized.

Salas was young and never settled in.

Its a team sport, so the idea of giving some players freedom is questionable. The players need to function as a team and not some players just doing what they want. Mourinho doesnt constrain his players offensively and actually relies heavily on their creativity, but that should not come at the expense of the team

You improve young players, not players past their prime. Also the player himself has to be coachable.

De Bruyne left to get playing time, cos he was not good enough to be a regular at that stage and was tired of being sent out on loan. Lukaku wanted to be guaranteed a starter without earning it. Both KDB and Lukaku situations are common at big clubs where immediate results is priotized.

Its a team sport, so the idea of giving some players freedom is questionable. The players need to function as a team and not some players just doing what they want. Mourinho doesnt constrain his players offensively and actually relies heavily on their creativity, but that should not come at the expense of the team
Under Mourinhos short time here, how many youngsters has he given full debuts to?

If the players are not performing, why he keep picking them?

If some of the players are not "coachable", that's laughable by the way, why does he not play a different system to fit them in? "

At the moment, if you keep doing the same thing, how can you expect different results, Mourinho is a busted flush, he's a one trick pony, two years from now, if he still here, we still be having same debate, without a trophy

I genuinely think it’s in the balance.

The way the fight went out of them in the 2nd half is a big worry.

On the plus side if we get relegated I may be able to afford season tickets for me and my boys!

Who has suggested improving players past their prime? As I said every outfield player we had against Liverpool was this side of 30

Under Mourinhos short time here, how many youngsters has he given full debuts to?

If the players are not performing, why he keep picking them?

If some of the players are not "coachable", that's laughable by the way, why does he not play a different system to fit them in? "

At the moment, if you keep doing the same thing, how can you expect different results, Mourinho is a busted flush, he's a one trick pony, two years from now, if he still here, we still be having same debate, without a trophy
What would giving a full debut achieve? Youngsters are better off on a team where they can get regular playing time. If he youngster cannot break into the core rotation then keeping him on the bench is just wasting his career. Its better to be getting regular minutes in the championship than to just be training with the first team.

The manager can only pick from what is available. If Reguilon was not injured, Doherty wouldnt have started against Liverpool.

Not all players are coachable which is why not every talented player fulfills their potential.The older a player, the more unlikely he is to change his ways. Playing a different system to fit them in, raises other issues like how does it affect the other players and will it be a better team. It is also why clubs buy players and not just 'coach' and 'fit them in'. If your premise was true we wouldnt need transfers and would just have managers 'coach' and 'fit them in'.

Following your logic, Poch must be totally finished as a manager. After all, despite some good performances in the past, everything declined in his last 1-2 seasons. I would reserve my judgement on Mourinho and any manager until they have a squad of suitable quality that fits their style of play.

When Zidane had a great squad, he won back2back CL titles and was deemed a great manager, but now with a lesser squad, he is struggling on all fronts and out of almost every competition. Pep was deemed the best manager when he had a great barcelona squad, but he isyet to return to the CL finals despite all the money he has spent at Bayern and City. The reality is that managers are not miracle workers,and their success is dependent on the quality of the squad at their disposal.

I think top 4 is so important.
If we want to get the right calibre of defender to improve our defense we need champions league football I think.

Or perhaps one of those trophies is the Europa league :?
When we had champions league did we get any quality defenders come our way ? Or any other quality come to that . it’s a complete myth that players come to teams for cl football . They come for the money

You are the one making the ridiculous claims. Dont try to drag me into your alternate universe

Ok El Mourinho whatever you say. I’m done here and may I suggest you take a trip to spec savers if you think the crap we are being dished up is all on the players- and I’m the one in the alternative universe!

Back
Top Bottom