Bayern Munich

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"FC Bayern is currently in talks with a coach from the Premier League, the candidate should not be from any of the Big Six clubs"

450-1667898089.jpg

Low-key think this is going to be one of those moves which fans everywhere mock and don’t understand and then he’s going to end up doing very well.
I certainly wouldn't mock them for doing it, his coaching ability 100% was the reason why Burnley got a promotion, so he's kinda demonstrated his ability in the champ. His brief from the owners was to change how they played, he absolutely ticked that box in the Champ and also in the PL.

Burnley have been shit in the PL this year, but isn't that because they had shit players and a next-to-zero budget to address this? The argument for Burnley to remain in the PL would have been to play like Stoke, maybe this would have given them a fighting chance to turn losses into draws and scrape it come the final day. But this wasn't his brief.

Name a Club that stayed up that had a worse squad than Burnley (or Luton and Shef Utd for that matter - 2 other teams with managers at the helm who have been praised either this season of past seasons in the PL). All the teams above them spent a fortune too.

That said, it is by every conceivable measure a very unexpected appointment if it were to happen. Bayern's MO has always been the ability to pick off the very best in the Bundesliga, usually off Dortmund be that players or coaches over the years. There is no better strategy than this as it's a double whammy, potentially improving yourself whilst simultaneously potentially harming your biggest rivals.

So, I can't get my head around why this strategy can't be repeated. Yes, obvious that this year that would mean Alonso and he's committed another year to Leverkusen (and he's rejected LFC too which I think might be aragantly a better option than Bayern), but surely Hoeneb at Stuttgart is a better option? Or Marco Rose?

The other aspect to consider here is how the fans feel. Would they be behind him from day one? What happens if the performances early on aren't great whilst he fixes the issues that are clearly at Bayern?

There are deep-rooted issues at Bayern and just buying the world's best striker hasn't fixed the problem as was hiring a big named CL winning manager. So maybe they recognise this and are looking to an appointment similar to that Leverkusen pulled off by hiring Alonso?????

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't mock them for doing it, his coaching ability 100% was the reason why Burnley got a promotion, so he's kinda demonstrated his ability in the champ. His brief from the owners was to change how they played, he absolutely ticked that box in the Champ and also in the PL.

Burnley was shit in the PL this year, but isn't that because they had shit players and a next-to-zero budget to address this? The argument for Burnley to remain in the PL would have been to play like Stoke, maybe this would have given them a fighting chance to turn losses into draws and scrape it come the final day. But this wasn't his brief.

Name a Club that stayed up that had a worse squad than Burnley (or Luton and Shef Utd for that matter - 2 other teams with managers at the helm who have been praised either this season of past seasons in the PL). All the teams above them spent a fortune too.

That said, it is by every conceivable measure a very unexpected appointment if it were to happen. Bayern's MO has always been the ability to pick off the very best in the Bundesliga, usually off Dortmund be that players or coaches over the years. There is no better strategy than this as it's a double whammy, potentially improving yourself whilst simultaneously potentially harming your biggest rivals.

So, I can't get my head around why this strategy can't be repeated. Yes, obvious that this year that would mean Alonso and he's committed another year to Leverkusen (and he's rejected LFC too which I think might be aragantly a better option than Bayern), but surely Hoeneb at Stuttgart is a better option? Or Marco Rose?

The other aspect to consider here is how the fans feel. Would they be behind him from day one? What happens if the performances early on aren't great whilst he fixes the issues that are clearly at Bayern?

There are deep-rooted issues at Bayern and just buying the world's best striker hasn't fixed the problem as was hiring a big named CL winning manager. So maybe they recognise this and are looking to an appointment similar to that Leverkusen pulled off by hiring Alonso?????
Burnley spent close to 100m, more than quite a few teams in the league last summer. Their team costs about as much as Brentford and Fulham.

You can't say they didn't back him.

Burnley spent close to 100m, more than quite a few teams in the league last summer. Their team costs about as much as Brentford and Fulham.

Was it mostly on kids though? I haven’t actually looked but I feel like they have an extraordinarily young side with what I assume is a low wage bill. The players are expensive due to what they could be rather than what they are.

A bunch of promising youngsters is essentially the polar opposite of what on paper you’d want for a tough relegation fight. I think Guido is right, his brief was change the football and develop a young team which may go down but we will still have a lot of promise in the team and play the long game.

Was it mostly on kids though? I haven’t actually looked but I feel like they have an extraordinarily young side with what I assume is a low wage bill. The players are expensive due to what they could be rather than what they are.

A bunch of promising youngsters is essentially the polar opposite of what on paper you’d want for a tough relegation fight. I think Guido is right, his brief was change the football and develop a young team which may go down but we will still have a lot of promise in the team and play the long game.
They did have one of the youngest teams, but even then they weren’t that far off from other teams.

Their average age was 24.8, Wolves,Sheffield and Bournemouth’s were around 25.5.

I do agree that was probably the brief since his job was never in danger. They probably anticipated this.I’m not disputing that, I just don’t agree that they had a shit budget. It was a good budget but that was the path they decided to take.

I’m not sure they’ll be an established premier league team going down that route, unless they spend a lot more.

That's fair but I think in my mind I was looking at what Forrest, Everton, and Wolves over the past couple of seasons rather than just one summer.

That's fair but I think in my mind I was looking at what Forrest, Everton, and Wolves over the past couple of seasons rather than just one summer.
It’s hard to compare since this was Burnley’s first season back in the prem with this new project.

Forest spent more when they came up but that’s because they needed to buy an entire new squad.

Wolves were a shambles last summer and had to get rid of a bunch of players which is why Lopetegui walked.

Burnleys squad doesn’t cost a whole let less than Wolves. People had Wolves to go down.

The last time Bayern had a manager who saw out his contract it was Pep. Nobody since has lasted more than 18 months, even Ancelotti left after a year. Something has gone badly wrong at the club.

Back
Top Bottom