Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My issue is that we are never in a month of Sundays going to pay the £35m to keep him so why didn't we just keep Troy and Dane in and around the squad and give them the same minutes?
Because Troy and Dane will need more minutes to continue their development and take the step up.

Dane gets his minutes in the U18/U23 team. But Troy was ready to go out on loan and ply his trade. Granted the Millwall loan did not work out but he is getting minutes at Ipswich now at least.

That's just nonsense.

Deeney scored goals at Premier league level and has a big presence. He has done it at PL level.
I've seen nothing to suggest Vinny could have that kind of impact at PL level, goals against Marine and Wolfsberger are not the same thing.

To be clear my preference would have been Ings > Wilson > Origi > Deeney in that order in the summer but all of them are better than Vinny.

Deeney has shown that he sucked at the PL level. He was a big reason that Watford was relegated. His PL stats are not impressive at all and here he can't pad the stats with PK's because there is no way he would get the chance to take them.

There is a reason that despite him begging for a PL spot and being dirt cheap nobody had any interest in bringing him into their team. Even now in the Championship he sucks, not close to the league leaders in goals and considering that is all he offers that is concerning.

Kane: 16G / 14A / 2528 min =
an open play goal contribution every 84 mins

Vinny: 7G / 3A / 823 min =
an open play goal contribution every 82 mins

Different competition I know but Vinny has been coming through for us. Just saying.
Kane contributes so much more than Vinicius though. When have you seen Vinicius make a defending header off our goal line, or tackle back like Harry does?

Vinicius is a lazy **** of a goal poacher.

Last edited:
I am fine keeping him around to play EL games (assuming we get there again) and Cup games so Kane can get a rest but I think we need a better option for a replacement striker for Kane in the PL, whether that is to rest him or when he get injured.

That doesn't necessarily be a striker and could be getting a player like Leao or Zaha (I said like not exact) who could start in a front 3 with Kane and Son but shift to the middle when Kane is out and we bring in someone like Bergwijn to play on the wing.

I like Vinicius but don't have enough trust for him to be relied on when Kane misses PL games. he can still be useful and come on late in those games as well as play in the EL/Cup games but we need a better option as 2nd choice for PL.

I think in his few minutes on the pitch last night, young Scarlett emphasised a lot of what is wrong about Vinicius' game, and his unsuitability for English football. Proper fucking fire in his belly. Proper work against the ball. None of this meek stuff.

He's done his job well
He needs to improve on his hold up play 100% which is why I think he isn't starting in the PL
He's not Harry Kane but he's a good backup and he knows how to find the back of the net.

If we could halve his price tag or something like that then I'd 100% take him but at £40m or whatever it is - nah
that would be Levy's pitch to his club.. "look he isn't even that good which is why we haven't played him the PL, I can take him off your hands for 15 mil and nothing more than that"

Only seeing last night's game now. Think much the same of him as I did at the start: he's alright. Decent squad player, bit of link play, some semblance of a nose for goal. Also a bit physically awkward and unrefined. Value him 15m or less. If Weghorst or Ings were to be an option in the summer both are a lot better and would be worth 20-25m to Vini's 15m. (I'm aware of the proposed fee but c'mon...)

I like him

No chance we pay 40 mil for him though

Benfica either lower their price or let us have him on loan again
I would pay the €40M. Strikers are expensive. Most strikers you buy fail in the premier league even at a higher cost. Here we have a player who doesn't cause any problems, scores regularly when he plays, is fit, and actually has some ability. As a back up, what more can you ask for? We could spend the same on sone other chap and they will fail so better the certain player on offer here.

Ings at his age needs to be on a team ready to win NOW. Vini can actually be here for a rebuild and enter his prime when the team are ready to win again.

He is too expensive given his current ability and his age for me. We should be targeting a younger player, 20-22 as a back up IMO.

40 million isn't the asking price its a buyout price. Levy or NES would end up paying 28m Pounds including add ons. So is he worth £25 m now with three later. That's the question. I think the lad is Brentford us a rough diamond we should be looking at and I hear they want £22m. The other obvious one for me is Sarr who can play wide forward but Watford wanted sly money last year.

25 million is likely a little much for me.

I would rather get someone that can play in the front 3 with Kane and Son, move over to the middle if Kane is out for the PL and then get a cheaper option if we need a striker for Cup/EL games next year.

25 million for a 25 year old that isn't a PL starter is too much, especially with all the holes we have to fill.

I like him. He has a kind face.
But I feel like I'm clutching at straws to rate him.

Often he seems like someone with the size of a target man but strength of a flakey winger, with the touch of a centre back.

Ok- who do you buy for 36m GBP that is guaranteed to be a better ST than Vinicius?

And of course it will be terrifying for us if Kane and Son leave- what is your general plan in that scenario, may I ask?

Use the money to buy players that are actually good enough to start in the PL, not Vinicius.

For 35 million some better striker that have gone for that recently Watkins, Wilson.

Guys who likely could be bought for that amount or less and would be better Edouard, Dembele, Depay, Plea, Thuram, Ings, Toney, Kramaric off the top of my head, there are likely a ton more I am missing.

Rebuild nonsense?

Our team effing sucks right now under this manager and with this defense, and we are going to be lucky to keep both of Son and Kane this summer.

What world are you living in where such an outcome is nonsense?

You are talking about the "rebuild" like we can't get good players in.

If we sell Kane and Son and end up with Vinicius as our main striker and pay anything close to 35-40 million for him that would be the worst rebuild potentially in the history of sports.

We would be looking at a minimum of 200 million for Kane and Son or it isn't worth it to sell, coming out of that with Vinicius as our striker would be awful.

If we are going rebuild why not go with a young guy with potential like a Patson Daka? If it is a rebuild why are we going to overpay for a mediocre player that is in his prime with zero evidence that he can even be a mediocre striker, let alone a good or heaven forbid a great one.

If you say rebuild, and fair enough it may be coming, I don't see how mediocre and not young players like Vinicius fit into that plan at all. It makes even less sense to sign, and overpay, for him in that scenario.

Obviously we have to agree to disagree.
We'll see what happens with the rest of the seaon, and with Mou, and see how popular our club is with a tightwad chairman and very possibly no continental soccer to offer.

I can see no scenario where we are so unpopular that vastly overpaying for a mediocre talent that would struggle to get into most bottom half sides makes any sense at all.

Anyways this is all moot as there is zero chance Levy pays anything close to 35 million for Vinicius.

I would pay the €40M. Strikers are expensive. Most strikers you buy fail in the premier league even at a higher cost. Here we have a player who doesn't cause any problems, scores regularly when he plays, is fit, and actually has some ability. As a back up, what more can you ask for? We could spend the same on sone other chap and they will fail so better the certain player on offer here.
Yes he is. Would you rather get 26 year old Vini, Callum Wilson, Willian Jose, or 29 year old Danny Ings?

If Kane even gives the slightest hint of wanting out in the summer, I think we should try and sign Vini, and we should pay the full 40m if needed. It could be extremely difficult to find a better striker with his age/exp/upside for that price.
£25-30m Id probably take. The strain having no back up put on Kane over the past years and now we have a pretty decent and youngish player. It means we can worry about other areas of the team notably CB.
I think 25 or 30 mil is fair...

40M is high but not totally out of the realm of realism. Regardless, selling clubs start high and it only comes down from there. Less than 30M is more appropriate in my opinion. Having said that, teams who are vying for trophies need to have a few 20-40M players on the bench. We need players on the bench who can make a difference when they come on, not just to be another warm body on the field

To Jiminho -
Do we need 20-40 mil players or do we need good players? Dele cost 5 mil, so should we drop him :D ?
And also, what gives you impression that Vinicius "can make a difference when he comes on" on top level. And 20-40 mil would assume playing on higher level than Europa League against Austrian and Bulgarian sides + Marine.

Generally -

Wow you guys are generous...
you do understand that when we talk about Austrian league terms, 40 mil could buy you a whole team over there?!?!
And up to now that is exactly what he has been, we have 0 indication that he could do it on higher level. And yet despite scoring against amateurs, Austrian and Bulgarian league teams, people would be totally okay to make him 4th most expensive purchase in Tottenham Hotspur history ?!? (After Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sanchez)?!? In current market (!!) where the money literally has dried up ?!?

That would be once more in the same region as players like Watkins, Benrhama, Jota and Zyech (!!)
That would be just 13 mil less than for Timo Werner who was among top scorers in Bundesliga for years, German national side player and younger than Vinicius.

Up to what I've seen by now, I think 15 mil could be reasonable price. But not a dime over 20 mil (which is also Transfermarkt fair value for him, though some here would pay happly 2x over market price, cause he "seems like a nice fella").

IF we sell Kane (huge if), we should be investing a lot of that money into an excellent player at the same position, with room to grow.

Not 40 million into a bench player who's 26. But say 80 million into a player ready to start and who's 23/24 but one of the top "young talented". Ala Ndombele.

You guys are excellent at team planning for a mid table club.

Back
Top Bottom