Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many times do we sign a player, only for people to jump on their backs within 3 games and write them off and then 12 months later have egg on our face.

Give him a chance, he's in a new league, different language and has probably the best CF in the world to compete against, he needs time.

At one point in time people were writing Kane off, let's not forget that.

Benfica fan in peace here! ✌️
Bored with my club's shit performance this season, so might as well investigate what's happening with some of our on-loan players at other clubs, so I don't have to think about this season at Benfica.

often overlooked that the Championship is the 5th/6th best league in europe, so a better league to get players from that say the Portuguese league.

Well, that's not really true, is it? :)
Look at the top team in the PL now, how many players did they get from the Championship post-dirty oil money, and how many do they currently have from the Portuguese League, all ex-Benfica? (Bernardo Silva, Cancelo, Ederson, Ruben Dias).

Or the impact Bruno Fernandes is having at Man. Utd... or the 750 players Wolves bought from Portugal once they became friends with Jorge Mendes and how they transformed the club? I could give many more examples. The Championship is a great league, far better than any other 2nd tier league, but come on...

Regarding Vinicius, I read the last few pages of this topic, and this a reply to those who already saw enough of him and know that he's rubbish.

Comparing Raul Jimenez and Vinicius:
- Jimenez first season at a top european league (At. Madrid, age 23) was a complete failure. 27 games (all comps), 1 goal
- Vinicius' first half season at an almost top european league (Monaco, age 23) was rubbish. 16 games (just the league), 2 goals. Napoli doesn't count, they bought him for 5M euros with the only objective of loaning out right away, he didn't stay 1 minute there. First went to Rio Ave and in January to Monaco.

- Jimenez was then sold to Benfica after just season 1 season in Spain
- Vinicius was then sold to Benfica after just 1 year of his contract with Napoli

- Jimenez scored 18 goals in the league in 3 seasons for Benfica (80 games). 31 in 120, all comps, he scored a few in the cup against low tier teams. Overall rubbish.
- Vinicius scored 18 goals in the league in 1 season for Benfica (32 games). 24 in 47, all comps. No penalties if I remember correctly. Overall good/very good.

- Jimenez, age 27, after not doing anything of note in Europe, then went on loan to Wolves, buy-out clause +-40M euros. He did great, the 40M ended up being a huge bargain.
- Vinicius, age 25, then went on load to Spurs, buy-out clause +-40M euros. He's not doing great, obviously Spurs won't buy him. Some fans think he should move to a farmer's league.

So similar situations once they got to the top tiers in Europe, but Vinicius did much better up until leaving Benfica, and he's younger. In football, things are never as linear as "Napoli didn't want him, so he's rubbish" or "so and so scored x goals for club A, he'd be great for us".

Look at Luka Jovic, he used to be in our B-team when Jimenez was there, played about 20 minutes total in the league, complete non-entity. Then the following season went on loan to Frankfurt to become one of the world's top strikers, R.Madrid paid 60 million for him... Only to become rubbish again at Madrid, and once again great for Frankfurt after moving in the past transfer window lol

You need to have a coach and a system that is compatible with the players. They can go from being amazing to rubbish or vice-versa just by changing clubs/managers. It's still the same player!

I don't know if Vinicius is good enough for Spurs, honestly probably not, it's been my opinion since he moved. However, I used to think the same about Raul Jimenez, when he went to Wolves. I was 100% sure Wolves wouldn't activate the buy-out clause, I thought it was a fucking joke. But he got to a club that plays in a positive way, with a coach who understands how to play Jimenez effectively. Something he probably never got at Benfica, we had a lot of decent players to choose from back then, effectively spoiled for choice and we made some bad choices. Jimenez is clearly better than what he showed at my club.

The opposite can be said about Vinicius, decent system and team mates for him at Benfica where he could shine, and now at Spurs he gets a neurotic and paranoid coach with massive insecurity issues, who obviously plays in a way that most forwards would struggle. Not to mention Mou's amazing and highly motivating man-management skills. Is Dele Alli that rubbish or is Mourinho a defensive paranoid lunatic? Were Salah and De Bruyne rubbish or was Mourinho a defensive paranoid lunatic at Chelsea? So maybe Vinicius is not Harry Kane mk2 (who is?), maybe he's not as good as Jimenez (different style of play, but who knows...), but he could probably be much more effective in a different environment.

Bruno Fernandes would now be a defensive midfielder with 0 goals and 27 yellow cards had he signed for a Mourinho team. 🙄 Sign Pickford, his T-Rex arms make him the perfect goalkeeper for a Jurassic coach.

Dear God, I've believed in you for some time now, as you know. Please let us sign this guy and not leave it on Kane's shoulders all season. Moreover, please let us win at least 1 but preferably 2 trophies this season. And I could really use a nosh off my missus.

Thank you

He's a big bloke who apparently runs a lot and gets stuck in from the front. Don't care much about the rest, sounds like he could do a job regardless of his technique. Good business Spurs if it gets over the line. Dare I say it that Levy is actually playing a blinder this window? :mourshock:

I think that's somewhat the reason Jose went back on the "won't be using Sissoko" much idea. Don't think he understood completely just how important he is to the dressing room. Particularly Ndombele and Aurier.

Lucas and Sissoko are similar cases, both can be frustrating footballers to watch. But you never have to question their effort and both are very decent blokes.

While you may not want them in the starting 11 every week, there’s always place in the squad for lads like that. Work their bollocks off and are well liked around the club.

Not good enough for us clearly. You would have thought he might have known his colleagues better as he has been with the club for years.

Needed a hat-trick and a hand in all the goals.

Defensively he could also do better and I think his looks could improve.

Disappointing that after one game he is not yet our top European goalscorer.

He was in Konsa's head for most of the game. I thought he handled himself well today. He doesn't have the same impact across the entire pitch as Harry but he doesn't need to. He was a pain in the ass for the Villa defenders in their box and a pain in the ass for the Villa attackers in our box when needed. It showed that he has played a few years as a CB.

Some fans seem to turn their noise up at Vinnie but you have a guy who is a good finisher and a pain the bum. We cannot have no back up striker and I fail to see short of spending 40-50m significantly upgrading on this guy. A half decent striker is gold dust.

Back
Top Bottom