Come here to laugh at Dippers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I often wonder about this. I try to be objective and not succumb to the tin foil hat idea that “everyone hates us” But time and again we appear to be cast as the villains of the league. I can accept Woolwich’s loathing for us (even though their geographical provenance and therefore claim to be our local rivals is arguable). But it doesn’t explain why other teams - especially the Dippers - get their knickers in such a twist about us. Talk about living rent free in others’ heads.

It can’t be because we are seen as a genuine rival: other than the freak Leicester year when convention went out the window, we haven’t really been seen as title contenders since the mid eighties (and even then, only very briefly). We’ve only beaten Liverpool once in the last 18 games - so they can’t honestly see us as an imminent threat.

Yes, there is the scouse loathing for HK which seems to get ever more bitter every time he is fouled, falls over, or makes a (horror!) tackle. But is this enough to justify the obsession?

The only conclusion I can really come to is that we’ve always been seen as a flashy London club that has historically been supported, run and owned largely by people of a certain ethno-religious group. I don’t think people do it consciously (except for the Chavs), but I think subliminally we are on the end of a load of stick because of deeply rooted prejudice against the Jewish community.

I’m very happy to play the role of the pantomime villain, and there’s certainly a lot worse things in the world than being unloved by others sets of fans, but I do agree with the view expressed elsewhere that we should just embrace the hate and channel it constructively on the pitch and on the terraces.

COYS - “No one likes us, we don’t care !”

To be honest I think it's more that we finished above Liverpool 8 times over a 9 year period.
09/10 - 17/18;
Tottenham av points: 71
Liverpool av points: 65.66*

We broke up the "big 4" party with City, although we did it legitimately.

Liverpool spent 6 seasons over a 7 season period without Champions League football, with that 1 season they did qualify being dumped out to the Europa League failing in the group stage.

During this period we enjoyed a decent spell in the Champions League. Given how they consider themselves, I imagine watching us dining at the top table hurt them a lot. They couldn't even blame it on oil money. The lads from the little 36,000 lane were simply and consistently better than they were.

They were still paying far higher salaries than us, being able to take players from under our noses ultimately being the bigger team - yet they had very limited on field success for such a long time given their history. We had no right to be better than them for so long - but we were, and that must have hurt.

Now we are all supposed to think of them as the greatest team the universe has ever known - but honestly I think their current position is a lot more fragile than they or the media seem to realise.
Maybe they are back at the top to stay.. but during their 6? years of Klopp 'the 2nd coming' they have "only" won 2 proper big trophies.. 1 Premier League & the European Cup.

... but who am I as a Spurs fan to criticise trophies? Well, they want to compare themselves with the absolute elite. We all know that isn't our level so at a glance over the period of time Klopp has been in charge;
Barcelona 3 league titles
Real Madrid 2 league titles
Juventus 5 league titles
Bayern Munich 6 league titles
Man City 3 league titles
Liverpool just the 1 league title. Chelsea & Leicester winning the other 2 when City haven't.

They proved last season (having dropped 30 points from the year before) their squad is incredibly reliant on a few individuals. But this is an ageing squad too;

Milner, 36 in a couple of weeks
Henderson, 32 come the summer
Thiago, 31 in a few months
VVD, 31 in the summer
Matip, 31 by next season
Firmino, 30 a couple of months ago
Mane, 30 in a few months
Salah, 30 in the summer
Robertson, 28 in March (actually thought he was about 24)

Their pace and pressing will drop off. Some of these players they simply wont be able to replace.
It's going to be impossible to replace the quality of some of those players. For me they are on the decline, which is currently being masked by good form early on in the season.

To be honest I think it's more that we finished above Liverpool 8 times over a 9 year period.
09/10 - 17/18;

Liverpool spent 6 seasons over a 7 season period without Champions League football, with that 1 season they did qualify being dumped out to the Europa League failing in the group stage.

During this period we enjoyed a decent spell in the Champions League. Given how they consider themselves, I imagine watching us dining at the top table hurt them a lot. They couldn't even blame it on oil money. The lads from the little 36,000 lane were simply and consistently better than they were.

They were still paying far higher salaries than us, being able to take players from under our noses ultimately being the bigger team - yet they had very limited on field success for such a long time given their history. We had no right to be better than them for so long - but we were, and that must have hurt.

Now we are all supposed to think of them as the greatest team the universe has ever known - but honestly I think their current position is a lot more fragile than they or the media seem to realise.
Maybe they are back at the top to stay.. but during their 6? years of Klopp 'the 2nd coming' they have "only" won 2 proper big trophies.. 1 Premier League & the European Cup.

... but who am I as a Spurs fan to criticise trophies? Well, they want to compare themselves with the absolute elite. We all know that isn't our level so at a glance over the period of time Klopp has been in charge;
Juventus 5 league titles
Man City 3 league titles
Liverpool just the 1 league title. Chelsea & Leicester winning the other 2 when City haven't.

They proved last season (having dropped 30 points from the year before) their squad is incredibly reliant on a few individuals. But this is an ageing squad too;

VVD, 31 in the summer
Matip, 31 by next season
Mane, 30 in a few months
Salah, 30 in the summer

Their pace and pressing will drop off. Some of these players they simply wont be able to replace.
It's going to be impossible to replace the quality of some of those players. For me they are on the decline, which is currently being masked by good form early on in the season.
Good post, I think us spoiling their top four qualification season by season, players choosing us over them, seeing us as a legit threat and also doing it without the need of an oligarch was the main thing of a very recent rivalry.

I must admit, I don't count city or Chelsea trophies as legit, but Liverpool, if they win anything, have done it through buying and selling, exploiting their fanbase, united too.

to be fair, all the reds I met whilst spending a couple of years up there were sound and showed no anti spurs stuff.
However, most of my mates up there are Everton and they do talk about many of them as if they are a cult: scientologists as the Everton bod who posts on here describes them as. (Leonard?)

I think a lot has to come from their rivalry with united. How one fell in the 70s and 80s, the other rose, and then vice versa in the last 2 decades. Anyone getting in the way would come in for flak. It also made them desperate for glory again, haven fallen so far, after rising so high.

I also think views can be coloured by their big world wide fan base and especially internet presence. I would draw a distinction between their match going fans and their internet lot. The ones I knew personally knew their football and had a respect for us.

Mostly though, I'd look to the media. As many have said in the post match thread, follow the money; sky know their market and won't bite the hand that feeds. They have ex player journos well placed in the media too to stoke their fans with any perceived injustice.

I live in Ireland now and it's incredible that at the end of news items, the slightest thing about United or Liverpool gets reported .. and before even the only match result that night gets reported.
Plus a different point, it's not since the 2-2 in 2018 at Anfield that I've seen a prolonged media fury over a couple of decisions: questions were asked in the House of Lords that week!

They maybe get a false reading about us too from the media. I remember a Liverpool fan tweeting after the Champs league final that after meeting spurs fans, he'd changed his mind about the team, the manager and the fans.

Mainly though, the media; they would prefer a successful Liverpool over us for pure money reasons. Clicks on nothing transfer articles to highlighting perceived injustices to spending the whole pre or post match relating issues to United or Liverpool. Sky were losing millions a week till United won the prem league for the first time. A few years later, now turning huge profits, Murdoch tried to buy them.

Liverpools game against Leeds is postponed. Robertson got a 3 match ban which would have been Leicester cup, Leeds then Leicester in the league but now Leeds game is off he'll instead be banned for Leicester cup, Leicester league and Chelsea

09/10 - 17/18;

Juventus 5 league titles
Man City 3 league titles

VVD, 31 in the summer
Matip, 31 by next season
Mane, 30 in a few months
Salah, 30 in the summer

Oh my I hadn't seen this but it's genuinely the best thing I've read since that last Cormac Mccarthy. Fantastic read, and I think your spot on. Its a manifestation of their fragility and they may not be as secure as all that.

Has Klopp STFU yet?

Of course fucking not.

635289901683474787tumblir-wanker-1.gif

So his head is that low..... whats a defender meant to do.
So the cunts are highlighting other players now. Can someone please show that cunts horror tackle v tanganga?? Im not on social media thankfully
Unprofessional

Not even their fans.... Actual players!

Dense cunt can't even write a full and proper sentence, FFS.

Robertson two footed coward tackle on Tanganga two seasons back was completely ignored by officials on and off the field and of course ignored by the media, as was Salah's diving weekly for penalties. They were given a complete green light that season (towards their title) including the Champs League final.

Their local fans violently attacked the Real Madrid bus last year and only a tiny fine was given and it was miraculously swept under the rug. Just another travesty and complete bias shown towards LiVARpool.

The hypocrisy is mind blowing!

Back
Top Bottom