Come here to laugh at Dippers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last week Klopp didn't want the league stopped. On Monday at least 14 PL teams didn't vote to suspend GW20.

Whichever way you look at it, some clubs are going to be hit with a fixture pile up.

All the extra international football, all the additional completions clubs participate in - get bigger squads then.
I’m sure Henderson’s 5million salary will get him through.

For apparently being a nothing club we sure do have a lot of rivals.
I often wonder about this. I try to be objective and not succumb to the tin foil hat idea that “everyone hates us” But time and again we appear to be cast as the villains of the league. I can accept Woolwich’s loathing for us (even though their geographical provenance and therefore claim to be our local rivals is arguable). But it doesn’t explain why other teams - especially the Dippers - get their knickers in such a twist about us. Talk about living rent free in others’ heads.

It can’t be because we are seen as a genuine rival: other than the freak Leicester year when convention went out the window, we haven’t really been seen as title contenders since the mid eighties (and even then, only very briefly). We’ve only beaten Liverpool once in the last 18 games - so they can’t honestly see us as an imminent threat.

Yes, there is the scouse loathing for HK which seems to get ever more bitter every time he is fouled, falls over, or makes a (horror!) tackle. But is this enough to justify the obsession?

The only conclusion I can really come to is that we’ve always been seen as a flashy London club that has historically been supported, run and owned largely by people of a certain ethno-religious group. I don’t think people do it consciously (except for the Chavs), but I think subliminally we are on the end of a load of stick because of deeply rooted prejudice against the Jewish community.

I’m very happy to play the role of the pantomime villain, and there’s certainly a lot worse things in the world than being unloved by others sets of fans, but I do agree with the view expressed elsewhere that we should just embrace the hate and channel it constructively on the pitch and on the terraces.

COYS - “No one likes us, we don’t care !”

For apparently being a nothing club we sure do have a lot of rivals.
Spurs fans looking at their list of current rivals.

giphy.gif

It can’t be because we are seen as a genuine rival: other than the freak Leicester year when convention went out the window, we haven’t really been seen as title contenders since the mid eighties (and even then, only very briefly). We’ve only beaten Liverpool once in the last 18 games - so they can’t honestly see us as an imminent threat.
I think you're missing the point. Most clubs don't start the season aiming directly for the title. The fact that we haven't been consistent or credible title contenders is neither here nor there. But for most clubs aspiring to something, and a respectful finish in the top 6 and maybe a European tour, for about 13 years now it has consistently been Spurs marking the dividing line, and also regularly spoiling the Sky narrative of a comfortable and consistent top tier of United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, City. Every one of those fanbases gets inundated every year with where they are going to finish in that top 5, and very frequently it's Spurs gate-crashing the party finishing above one or more of them.

I often wonder about this. I try to be objective and not succumb to the tin foil hat idea that “everyone hates us” But time and again we appear to be cast as the villains of the league. I can accept Woolwich’s loathing for us (even though their geographical provenance and therefore claim to be our local rivals is arguable). But it doesn’t explain why other teams - especially the Dippers - get their knickers in such a twist about us. Talk about living rent free in others’ heads.

Yes, there is the scouse loathing for HK which seems to get ever more bitter every time he is fouled, falls over, or makes a (horror!) tackle. But is this enough to justify the obsession?

The only conclusion I can really come to is that we’ve always been seen as a flashy London club that has historically been supported, run and owned largely by people of a certain ethno-religious group. I don’t think people do it consciously (except for the Chavs), but I think subliminally we are on the end of a load of stick because of deeply rooted prejudice against the Jewish community.

I’m very happy to play the role of the pantomime villain, and there’s certainly a lot worse things in the world than being unloved by others sets of fans, but I do agree with the view expressed elsewhere that we should just embrace the hate and channel it constructively on the pitch and on the terraces.

COYS - “No one likes us, we don’t care !”

It is definitely that. Has to be.

Back
Top Bottom