Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have had numeous chances and continually sh!t our pants.
And this is why the club has become the laughing stock that it is. This is where the owner has taken it. A great accountant he may be, but has no soul for what people want.
It must be understood how fucking stupid things like plans for cheese rooms sound to other clubs fans. Stupid indulgences like that at a Working mans sport, all whilst winning not one thing. It’s like the Russian tsars over indulgence at the expense of the peasants that were given nothing back in return.
By the time this club gets its act back together we’re at the back of the queue behind an even longer list of clubs. Not only Man City, it will be all the rest coming back to the party including that lot over in west London with the guy that nearly made this club look like a contender.
And now to rub everyone’s nose in it, the hammers have gone and lifted a relevant European trophy that not only gives them some joy, but catapults them into another competition that is akin to finishing in a position that this club failed to manage.

The Audi Cup reference is clearly a facetious stab at undermining the credibility of this joke of a competition, designed solely for lower European Languages in an attempt to redistribute the wealth rather than have the elite clubs/leagues hoarding all the cash and closing the shop (it's failed miserably to do this). But still, it had better, more prestigious oppo.

I'm not arguing that "we are too big to be in it". I'm saying it's NOT a major trophy and it will negatively affect our performance next season if we were in it. I'm also saying our fans absolutely will NOT accept us being 17th in Jan. If we were we would fire the coach after demanding him to be fired.

You are talking to me as if Football Teams regularly knock out trebles and quadruples every year whilst they balance their domestic campaigns with European glory, they don't. We are not equipped to enter any European competition next season such as the flux going on at the club right now. I'd rather win an FA Cup or League Cup if there is any choosing to be going on. But here is the rub, there's isn't any choosing, we aren't in it, thank fuck. So why are you arguing the toss?
I was responding directly to points you made mate, but fair play, you've demonstrated that there's no point in that so I won't bother with any more...

Not going to have a cry over a competition when we were it in was deemed the farmers league. We have won other things much bigger like the league cup and smaller like the Audi Cup.

I think the issue is what West Ham did even if it is a tinpot farmers cup reminded fans that what ever level you are at you need to go for it.

We were the historic FA Cup holders. Now we seem uninterested in anything other than top 4 under any manager. We are here to maximise revenue for the growth of our property owning company so the goals of our owners and the goals or the fans don’t match on every aspect.

All the West Ham thing has done is remind people of the soulless nature of trying for top 4 without anything else be it trophies or good football.
We do take FA Cup and League Cup seriously though. Since our last trophy (League Cup '08) we've reached the final a further 3 times, semis twice and been in FA Cup Semi-Final four times. and a Quarter Final and a final of the two major European comps.

The game is now totally transformed in the last 30yrs, in that to win a MAJOR competition you have to be one of the best 4 teams in the league. Since the PL was formed over 90% (I've forgotten the specific figure and can't be arsed to track it down I actually think it is something like 96%???) of all available major trophies to be won have been done so by the same big 5 teams.

This means any team with the design of winning a trophy needs to up their game and get into this group, something we did but couldn't sustain. Failing to do this will deliver nothing.

Not you, but people seem to think we can just pick and choose what to win when we want, if only we just do this that or the other. No. All the evidence is there, if we want to win a pot we have to build a team that competes at the very top of the league and hope that we get to play Stoke, Watford, Sunderland, Hull, Villa rather than always getting the best x2 teams in the country at the time.

The game is now totally transformed in the last 30yrs, in that to win a MAJOR competition you have to be one of the best 4 teams in the league. Since the PL was formed over 90% (I've forgotten the specific figure and can't be arsed to track it down I actually think it is something like 96%???) of all available major trophies to be won have been done so by the same big 5 teams.
Big 5, I thought it was big 6 ?
Of course, it never was, was it, unless of course you don’t ignore the obvious qualification being success, therefore Leicester absolutely qualify with a championship and an FA cup. They might be a bit sore at the moment, but they’ve tasted very real success on more than one occasion very recently, so I don’t get all this big 6 crap that includes a club which has won 0. It’s all a load of media bum fluff that some have lapped and are now feeling deflated by watching a close neighbour actually win at a final without blowing up at the grid.

Yeah and it makes as little sense here as it did elsewhere...

What exactly is it about Lucas' goal years ago that disqualifies us from winning a cup now?
The point was every club has its moments which count.

Actually Spurs won a cup final with almost the last kick ( header ) at Wembley too.

The over praise of West Ham and using their win as the basis to again attack our club and ourselves is nonsense. What they won is not a prize we should be envious of ( imho )

West Ham did well enough, but it’s a utterly ridiculous to overpraise this achievement.

To reference again the Papa Johns trophy. That final was at Wembley, in front of 79,000 supporters. West Ham played in front of 19,000, the level is obvious with just that comparison..

We all want trophies, but then Tottenham have more historically than most clubs in England.

In the 43 years between West Ham’s wins Spurs took 6 major trophies and have been in at least another 6 major finals. Is that enough win or are they recent enough ? No, probably not, but there it is.

It's 100% fact, something that you seem to fail to get your head around. Stop the fantasy and use facts as a basis of argument.

I'm not deflated by WH, I couldn't give a single fuck about them or that non-entity of a Trophy, every one of my posts attests to this. Yours don't, so stop projecting your disappointment onto me. You give a fuck about them, I don't. You give a fuck about a non-elite trophy, I don't.
Whats 100% fact the big 6 stuff ?

Sorry not true.

We cannot resort to not interested or Levy/ENIC for every failure.

The truth is that despite having had a number of chances in semi-finals and finals to be trophy winners we have failed. Pure and simple.

Call that what you will but for me that's a lack of character that is beyond defensible.

Not one player in the West Ham side, Rice apart maybe, would have got into our team of 4 or 5 years ago.

But leadership on the pitch and type of player are huge gaps in our make-up and that is the issue that must be addressed before we win anything.

When you have multiple managers, multiple squads then it’s something much deeper. If this was 5-10 years I could give that, it’s not, it’s over 20 years.

Presuming that the long term goal is to be in CL though, how do you determine that it's not possible to be in the lower level Euro competitions whilst still being competitive in the league?

Would you advocate that it is worth suffering a drop off in the league when in CL due to the (largely financial) pros of being in CL (though this would almost certainly see you only spending one season at a time in CL)?

Or do you acknowledge that actually, it is possible to be competitive on both fronts? In which case then being in the EL/ECL is beneficial in giving an opportunity to develop methods of coping with that, and giving experience to your younger/new players who might not have had it previously?

Your last line is refreshingly honest, and I suspect is how the majority of naysayers really feel.
History tells us that unless you are a massive club with bottomless resources, balancing Europe and league is a tough gig. I don’t think we are capable of it yet and West Ham certainly aren’t.

I would hope our longer term aim isn’t participation in the CL, but winning the thing. I doubt that us winning the conference gets us much further on in that journey. Although, the actual trophy win would be fantastic.

Yeah and it makes as little sense here as it did elsewhere...

What exactly is it about Lucas' goal years ago that disqualifies us from winning a cup now?

It's a rhetorical analogy based on the respective heights of two clubs recent histories(*)... And longer-term histories for that matter.

i.e. 'The peaks of Poch' vs WHs win the other night combined with being a relegation botherers.

Secondarily: Spur's trophy cabinet v WH's

I don't sense anyone is claiming that because we won in Amsterdam that we should not be striving for trophies as we move fwd.

(*Granted, peak Poch is an increasingly distant memory.)

I'll reiterate a previous point I made: supporters decry the need for "real match time" for players to develop and bed in. Then at the same time say the manager needs "fewer matches" and "more time on the training ground". Supporters, in general, have no consensus on what makes a football team better - they simply want whatever is different than what they have.

I don't subscribe to the silly notion that a single mid-week private chartered flight to Cyprus and back will unwind our season.

West Ham played in Belgium, Romania, Denmark, Cyprus, Belgium, Netherlands, and the Czech Republic to win a trophy.

Anyway, feel how you want to feel. We ain't winning the league or the CL next season, and we're too good for anything else apparently, so I guess that trophy cabinet is gonna remain bare for another couple of decades.
And WH were in a relegation battle literally the entire season, not mentally safe until 4 games from the end of the season but mathematically 2 games from the end of the season.

We have pushed the reset button again. The aim is to go back to a completely different style of football than we have been playing for the past 4yrs. No my expectation isn't that we are going to win a trophy next season because we are changing the way we want to play football. it's a 180 degree change, to facilitate this requires time, time you are not afforded when playing in a European Comp, let alone a tin-pot one designed specifically for lower leagues.

I'm expecting teams like Newcastle, Villa, Woolwich & Brighton (Brighton less so) to struggle next season whilst they juggle European football with an ever-increasingly competitive PL, and all of these teams have already implemented their new identity of playing.

Whatever you say man. We're not winning a trophy in this decade unless we stop turning our noses up at trophies like the EL and ECL. Just being realistic - we aren't going to win the league.
We are not winning a trophy if we don't have a good enough team to get you to a final. The teams that get win the finals are all from the top teams in the league the same teams that have dominated the trophy count for the past 30yrs. You then need a bit of luck to be drawn against Stoke, a relegated Hull, Villa, Watford or Sunderland.

OMG the chavs are treating the rymans league of europe cup like its worth 10 World Cups and 30 Champions League cups in 1 lol ... they will having daily open top ASBO parades for a year lol

You haven’t been following this have you.
It might dawn upon some, someday that when you start looking around at other fans forums like city or Liverpool, nobody is doing the belittling of this trophy except here. They’re literally congratulating them and are happy for them to have won a major trophy. Some people should stop pretending that they somehow above it. Then and only maybe then might a trophy be won and fans might stop acting light spoiled idiots. Lower the expectation levels and people might start cheering up a bit.

1. Ngghhhhhh.... Rather not tbh.

2. Probably because they see themselves as operating in a different stratosphere to WH & the ECL; so in some respects their congrats are actually a patronising pat on the proverbial head.

3. They aren't being bitched about by their own fanbase in relation to said victory.

4. They aren't WH's cup final.

5. How are Millwall & Chavs (2 other clubs they claim as rivals) acting towards it all?

Back
Top Bottom