Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are 2 very seperate issues here and I'm not totally happy combining them but here goes..

Firstly there is some Lazio & West Ham Fans chanting horrible anti-semitic things at us, which are indefinsible. I would at least congratulate West Ham on coming out and banning fans and saying they will deal with fans who do this severely, had Lazio made noises of disapproval too straight after the game they would have been given a lot more credit.

Secondly there is our use of 'Yid' which has been debated several times. I am sorry, I have said this before the two games and I know I am in the minority here but I think we need to let the 'Yid' tag go.

Just as Eggsoakley rightly was appalled at a bunch of fans on a train making anti-semitic gestures, a lot of the public at wide might say the same at a bunch of guys chanting 'Yid Army', not everyone knows it's context. The Spurs fan use of 'Yid' does spring from an honourable motive and there's some pride to be had in that.

Time has moved on, we no longer are a club with the same level of jewish following and the use of the word 'Yid' in common society is not acceptable.

Some spurs fans on here have written about not being entirely comfortable with it, John Crace and Dan Louw (both devoted Spurs fans and journalists) along with a small number of contributors on here too have made mention of the fact they feel the same way.

To be clear I don't see this as a legal battle at all, it's something that we as fans have to decide upon, the SBL approach will alienate people, it has already and that's why Peter Herbert really needs to re-assess his approach here.

Whilst I totally understand where you're coming from, your point about 'time having moved on' - whilst true, begs one question; IF 'Tottenham are no longer a club with the same level of Jewish following', then why on earth would opposition fans feel the need to cheer on Hitler and HISS at us?
Either the Jewish thing it IS relevant, or it isn't... honestly, I'd say a straw poll of Spurs and ArseAnal fans would probably reveal a similar percentage of Jewish support... and yet I haven't once heard anything like this aimed at them...

whilst time in the actual sense has moved on, opinions and bigotry remain set in stone... there will be no shifting the small-minded idea that hissing your way through a game is the ideal way to support your own team, and while that remains in place, then you can bet your hole that we will not sit idly back and take it... in fact, I'd wager that of all the fans that use the word on matchdays, there are probably MORE non-Jewish Spurs fans calling THEMSELVES Yids these days than actual Jewish ones... that alone is remarkable, and I don't know of any other religion, or set of fans that would generate such a unified response!

7y0UN.png

Appropriate for his business website?

:walkerwtf:

Ive never met a West Ham fan who isnt a genuinely nice person 1 on 1....but bad things get sung in football grounds, including by us. Lets just leave it there and move on.

I personally dont want to lose the right to sing what I want

Whilst I totally understand where you're coming from, your point about 'time having moved on' - whilst true, begs one question; IF 'Tottenham are no longer a club with the same level of Jewish following', then why on earth would opposition fans feel the need to cheer on Hitler and HISS at us?
Either the Jewish thing it IS relevant, or it isn't... honestly, I'd say a straw poll of Spurs and ArseAnal fans would probably reveal a similar percentage of Jewish support... and yet I haven't once heard anything like this aimed at them...

whilst time in the actual sense has moved on, opinions and bigotry remain set in stone... there will be no shifting the small-minded idea that hissing your way through a game is the ideal way to support your own team, and while that remains in place, then you can bet your hole that we will not sit idly back and take it... in fact, I'd wager that of all the fans that use the word on matchdays, there are probably MORE non-Jewish Spurs fans calling THEMSELVES Yids these days than actual Jewish ones... that alone is remarkable, and I don't know of any other religion, or set of fans that would generate such a unified response!

1882 - likewise I completely see where you're coming from and it's true to say that this tag could easily have befallen Woolwich, why do fans feel they can keep on making anti-semitic chants? In my opinion the sad truth is because we're happy to take the 'Yid' tag and because it's the point where they can cause the most offence to wind our fans up.

Remember we took up this tag because other teams, often with NF influences would come to the lane and use it as an excuse to pour their bile out. The exact reasons why we are witness to this particular horror show is for the souls of those rival fans to search, I very much doubt they'd be able to give you a proper explanation.

The conflict is that our unified response when the real hate was coming our way was right and courageous, I don't want to take that anything away from that at all. But if our only remaining reason to unify under 'Yid' is the other lot started it, then as a set of fans we need to grow up.

Ultimately this is not about what other fans chant at us, I kind of want to keep that separate, it's about what we are and what's right, I know a great number of fans believe that using 'Yid' is ok because it's not intended to be offensive but it is causing offence and we should at very least be aware of that, go in to a chant with eyes open as well as your mouth!

But as I say 1882 I do see what you say and this is something I do find very conflicting.

What a total media-whore prick!

There isn't enough salt in Bolovia to take a pinch with... whatever he says is merely for self-publicity, and fuck who it offends...

I'd be really genuinely interested to find out what team he supports...

then again, he's probably one of those 'untrustworthy' sorts who doesn't follow football... and if he did, it would be whoever is at the Top of the Premier/Primera/League/La Liga this week!

What is it with their perceived rivarly and this notion from them that we are their biggest enemies? I'm been hearing this shit from loads of them for over a decade. I once has an argument with a bloke who said that I, as a Spurs fan, was talking shit, by saying the rivarly wasn't seen the same way by us!!

It's like they are without an opposite (such as we have Woolwich) so that have picked us out of the London clubs, and have now deluded themselves into thing we are a two way conflict.

It's terribly sad really, but where does it come from? The old holligan days maybe?

We don't care about West Ham. That's why there are five pages of replies all shouting it loudly how much you all don't give a flying one.

As Shakespeare once said: "Methinks the lady doth protest too much".

My theory is that Spurs as a club are so vastly inferior to their nearest rivals whom they idiotically refer to as Woolwich, that they have to pick on their nearest rival after that, in the fashion of the play ground bully.

We don't care about West Ham. That's why there are five pages of replies all shouting it loudly how much you all don't give a flying one.

My theory is that Spurs as a club are so vastly inferior to their nearest rivals whom they idiotically refer to as Woolwich, that they have to pick on their nearest rival after that, in the fashion of the play ground bully.
So vastly inferior that we're currently 4 points above them?

Our nearest rival after the scum is certainly not you. You worry about your rival clashes with other shit London clubs and we'll worry about the big ones.

Fuck me what is this, king on the mongs?

Given most of your lot can't communicate in anything other than grunts this must be a demonstration of "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"

I had some deluded prick tell me your lot would finish above us this year, pretty much the same shit you try and pull every year you manage to get in the Prem. Deluded that you are still a relevant club.

Andy Gray = 1 complete tool...
He's still got the hump with West Ham as some idiots trashed his car after he waged a campaign against Julian Dicks as he had jumped all over the Chelsea player Spencer's head.

Anyways chaps read some of your slating of us hammer fans but I will remind you that each club has an element of pricks that do follow them so dont tar the whole fan base with the examples of a couple of foolish incidents. I'm leaving the keyboard now to get ready for an early breakfast and a number of pre match jars. The think I dont like is the mandatory bullshit on your pub doors of showing a spurs ticket to get in, hence the early start lol.

Have a good time behind your keyboards today and dont forget your homework for tomorrow. (had to leave with another swipe at you) :bale2:
3.1.jpg

PROPER FAN GOES TO GAMES!.....someone should probably tell him the games on monday though

Rivals?

We'll be rivals for 180 minutes this season. No more.

West Ham will do well if they beat Fulham to 4th best London team.

The very definition if a rival is that there is something to compete with on an objective. With those lot down the road it's that they are also situated in North London and, presently, are also normally trying to do what we are, win some trophies and finish in the CL places.

What do Spam rival us on? Last time I looked we weren't eastenders fighting hard to achieve mid-table obscurity.

Lets face it, they're bitter that the closest they have to a rival is Orient. :roflmao:

So vastly inferior that we're currently 4 points above them?

You were also two goals up at the New Library, what was the score then? Face it you are nowhere near as big as them. How many times have you beaten them this century. When I was young Spurs were the richest club in the country but they have not been at the top table for over 50 years. That's why most people I come across in Tottenham support Woolwich. Since when has finishing 4th been a sign of a big club?

Shit club and shit deluded fans.

The very definition if a rival is that there is something to compete with on an objective. With those lot down the road it's that they are also situated in North London and, presently, are also normally trying to do what we are, win some trophies and finish in the CL places.
While that is true, many footballing rivalries take place between teams of different abilities. Barcelona are still rivals with Espanyol, Bilbao with Sociedad, Man United with Leeds etc. There would still be a rivalry with West Ham if we met them in the cup and they were in the Championship (oh wait a minute - they've been there recently :D) and the same with Woolwich, Chelsea etc.

Saga, I am under no illusions about our place in the scheme of things. Frankly, I don't give a toss about being seen as a "big" club. I've had west ham fans celebrate and bombard me with onslaughts of messages whenever we struggle. When we kept losing under Ramos, when we were deprived of champs league football by chelsea winning it, etc.

Now, it's not to prove Spurs are bigger than west ham or anything stupid like that. But it has never occurred to me to revel in your misfortunes (and let's face it, you've had so many more than us). The reason is simply I don't care any more than I would if Fulham get relegated.

And I can assure you that lots of Spurs fans feel the same. Of course, some Spurs fans hate you. Since you've joined a Spurs forum and told us how much we hate you, I'm sure that makes you happy.

Btw, accusations of delusion seem quite funny coming from the world cup winning working class heroes.

Back
Top Bottom