Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The couple next to me, in the premium section, were too busy squaffing down their complimentary drinks at half time and missed the goal.....:)
As I’ve aged I’ve become more acceptant about early leavers (particularly if the result is a foregone conclusion) as having relocated I now know full well that an 85th minute departure can be the difference between a 2 hour or 3 hour journey home for me, but I still have a massive issue with people not getting to their seats on time for either kick off. Always the exact same offenders too.

Last edited:
Poch erred with Son at LWB against the Chavs at Wembley (SF), starting a vicious cycle of stress around winning trophies that never stopped (the final in his first season was too fresh to create a lasting print). We had pretty good chances to win several trophies and our no-show was probably also due to Poch carrying weight into matches.

Furthermore, Levy was a skimp, but after 2016 Poch had the leverage to threaten him with walking out if he doesn't get the players he needed. Buying Sissoko for 30m instead of Mane for 35m was outright criminal.

Rose was decent for only 1.5 seasons. Walker was always better

Last edited:
Eriksen is massively overrated by Spurs fans. Of course he was immensely skilled, but he never did anything against top competition and was a bit of a flat track bully.

His jog around the center of the pitch and bottle tackles act held us back from ascending to the top level during the peak Pochettino years. Klopp would never allow such a passenger in his Liverpool sides.

Also going to the media saying he needed a “new challenge” 3 days after he totally no-showed the UCL Final is potentially the most livid I’ve been at Spurs player since Sol. Just appalling behavior.

If he’d been a super sub and played 15 games a season against bus parking sides we’d have been much better off. Dele, Dembele, and Wanyama were our true midfield geniuses of that era. Shame injuries did them all in.

Poch needed to stay. I'm not saying until now, but at the time, we were poor, but nothing improved under Mourinho, we would end the season in European spots anyway.

Eriksen is massively overrated by Spurs fans. Of course he was immensely skilled, but he never did anything against top competition and was a bit of a flat track bully.

His jog around the center of the pitch and bottle tackles act held us back from ascending to the top level during the peak Pochettino years. Klopp would never allow such a passenger in his Liverpool sides.

Also going to the media saying he needed a “new challenge” 3 days after he totally no-showed the UCL Final is potentially the most livid I’ve been at Spurs player since Sol. Just appalling behavior.

If he’d been a super sub and played 15 games a season against bus parking sides we’d have been much better off. Dele, Dembele, and Wanyama were our true midfield geniuses of that era. Shame injuries did them all in.

This is massively wrong by the way.

His goals and assists stack up heavily in the high profile game and was almost always the difference maker in these matches.

AVB was the manager that fucked me off most.

We have had worse, Santini and Nuno spring to mind off the top of my head but his possession for possession's sake, the very anti-football style he played, that was covered almost entirely by Bale becoming incredible (I can admit AVB playing Bale centrally helped).

I was actually really happy when he got sacked and was fine for a while with Sherwood, it was at least fun again. To me AVB represented everything that we as a club should not be and that’s why he annoyed me more than arguably worse managers we got.

This is massively wrong by the way.

His goals and assists stack up heavily in the high profile game and was almost always the difference maker in these matches.
He had 1 goal and 1 assist in like 15 NLDs and the assist was in a game we lost 4-1. People say Kane doesn’t show up in big games and yet he’s the all-time NLD goal scorer.

I did the work on Eriksen in big games a couple years ago, I’ll have to try to find the post. He has an amazing record against Chelsea and then it falls off precipitously.

This is the unpopular opinion thread, so I know most won’t agree but he was a luxury player. I’ll never forgive him for the Champions League final, looked totally disinterested all game and then pushing for a move three days later. Massively skilled but lacked the mentality, modern game has passed players like him and Ozil by. Conte basically ostracized him at Inter until they had injuries and Eriksen had to play.

Hope he stays at Brentford, always liked them and he’ll thrive in a place where the occasional moment of brilliance will make him a cult hero. Both him and Bale are too uninterested and one-dimensional nowadays to play for a top manager who wants high-level effort and graft like Conte. Only thing either would add to us now is ability to take a free kick.

Last edited:
AVB was the manager that fucked me off most.

We have had worse, Santini and Nuno spring to mind off the top of my head but his possession for possession's sake, the very anti-football style he played, that was covered almost entirely by Bale becoming incredible (I can admit AVB playing Bale centrally helped).

I was actually really happy when he got sacked and was fine for a while with Sherwood, it was at least fun again. To me AVB represented everything that we as a club should not be and that’s why he annoyed me more than arguably worse managers we got.
Totally agree. He was a tetchy sod as well, couldnt handle criticism. Just a bit of a tit and the less said about the football the better. Until Mourinho came he was possibly my least favourite Spurs manager since i've been a supporter. I dont see anyone ever knocking Mourinho off top spot for me.

Totally agree. He was a tetchy sod as well, couldnt handle criticism. Just a bit of a tit and the less said about the football the better. Until Mourinho came he was possibly my least favourite Spurs manager since i've been a supporter. I dont see anyone ever knocking Mourinho off top spot for me.

I think with Jose I could at least laugh on occasion with his silly press conferences. AVB was like a grumpy accountant managing us. Sucked the life out of the club.

He had 1 goal and 1 assist in like 15 NLDs and the assist was in a game we lost 4-1. People say Kane doesn’t show up in big games and yet he’s the all-time NLD goal scorer.

I did the work on Eriksen in big games a couple years ago, I’ll have to try to find the post. He has an amazing record against Chelsea and then it falls off precipitously.

This is the unpopular opinion thread, so I know most won’t agree but he was a luxury player. I’ll never forgive him for the Champions League final, looked totally disinterested all game and then pushing for a move three days later. Massively skilled but lacked the mentality, modern game has passed players like him and Ozil by. Conte basically ostracized him at Inter until they had injuries and Eriksen had to play.

Hope he stays at Brentford, always liked them and he’ll thrive in a place where the occasional moment of brilliance will make him a cult hero. Both him and Bale are too uninterested and one-dimensional nowadays to play for a top manager who wants high-level effort and graft like Conte. Only thing either would add to us now is ability to take a free kick.

Okay but if you admit he had a good record against Chelsea then surely saying what you said about him 'not doing anything against top competition' is wrong then?

You're well entitled to have your controversial opinion lol but what you said is non factual so had to pull you up on it 😉

Goals: Christian Eriksen - All goals

Can't seem to find anything for assists but I can rememeber him assisting quite a lot in big matches.

Okay but if you admit he had a good record against Chelsea then surely saying what you said about him 'not doing anything against top competition' is wrong then?

You're well entitled to have your controversial opinion lol but what you said is non factual so had to pull you up on it 😉

Goals: Christian Eriksen - All goals

Can't seem to find anything for assists but I can rememeber him assisting quite a lot in big matches.
I’m seeing 7 goals against top 6/quality UCL competition in wins or draws (ie not meaningless goals). He made 306 appearances for us.

I’m seeing 7 goals against top 6/quality UCL competition in wins or draws (ie not meaningless goals). He made 306 appearances for us.

Eh I count 14? where are you seeing 7?

What are meaningless goals?, you're moving the goalposts now.

Can also rememeber he made quite a few assists in big matches as well

Point is that what you said about him doing nothing against top opposition is incorrect, you've actually proved it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom