Crystal Palace Vs Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good game, great atmosphere!
Nothing cheesy about our fans and the support we have and give our beloved CPFC. I'm sure you won't go to too many other away games and get that atmosphere... It's like that at every game...believe me!

Looking forward to, hopefully, signing 3 or 4 more players before the window closes (we need them). Maybe we'll give you a harder game when we visit WHL.

Congrats on your first win/first game of the season.

COYP!

I didn't go to the game but it looked like the palace crowd done themselves proud.

Wish WHL was as noisy as that....

I dunno, I have to admit, having watched the game back on telly now I think we were louder than most of the Palace fans (and me, sat in with them) realised, the away section is too far from where their noisy lot are

This whole Bale as CAM or we need a CAM or whatever. Our 3 in a 4-2-3-1 should be able to switch effortlessly like Oscar, Hazard, Mata, DeBruyne etc.. do.

For some reason, I quite enjoyed the fact that we only 1-0 in a fairly lackluster match. A thumping and expectation increases instantly, dropped points and the naysayers will be out in their droves.

This takes a little pressure off, and highlights the strength of the squad.

Swansea, even at home, I suspect will be a tougher match.

Was a funny day yesterday. Palace is absolute tripe. I'm a prem snob, and thats not prem standard at all. Trying to get to your seat was a logistical nightmare what with the wooden seats and random steps.

Only just realised how long it took to finally get a penalty!

I so wish Siggy scoring on that com

Bale wasted in the middle ?

You should be drug tested immediately
he's about fifty to a hundred times better when he's running at a defence, and the only real positions you can do that from are FB,CB,DM and a deep CM, RM/W and LM/W. So yes, wasted in the middle, he can cut inside yes, but that's not playing in the middle, that's running into the middle onto his stronger/weaker foot.

Again, watch a REAL CAM like Øzil, Gøtze, Holtby, Mata, Oscar, Rooney, Kagawa, Myktarian(sp), VDV, etc etc etc. So much of what they do is with their back to the goal they are attacking, and Bale, as of right now is pretty much useless and a detriment to the team when trying to fill that role. Bale's position should be RW with Chadli on the left. That way you have players that are capable of going past on the outside and put in a class delivery, but also superb at cutting inside onto their strongest foot and either slide a pass through to the striker/on rushing CM's or going for the shot.

I repeat, Bale is NOT a CAM as he doesn't currently have the abilities, technically or mentally to play with his back to goal for up to 80% of the time. A CAM links play most of the time, he doesn't run at a defence which is Bale's by FAR STRONGEST attribute...

They weren't as good as I thought they were going to be. But then again I can say the same for us. Atmosphere wise.

There must have been a bunch somewhere up the top starting older songs. A good 'Glory Glory Hallelujah' and 'Can't Smile Without You' went round which was quality.

There was a quality atmosphere at the back. I like starting chants like these ones, but they don't normally catch on like they did yesterday.

I was sat in with the Palace fans, but in the same stand as our lot. The Palace fans were loud, like they always seem to be these days, but I thought our lot were quiet as well. The "your support is shit", "can you hear the Tottenham sing", and "shall we sing a song for you" chants went on and on, hah.

We couldn't hear them singing this

he's about fifty to a hundred times better when he's running at a defence, and the only real positions you can do that from are FB,CB,DM and a deep CM, RM/W and LM/W. So yes, wasted in the middle, he can cut inside yes, but that's not playing in the middle, that's running into the middle onto his stronger/weaker foot.

Again, watch a REAL CAM like Øzil, Gøtze, Holtby, Mata, Oscar, Rooney, Kagawa, Myktarian(sp), VDV, etc etc etc. So much of what they do is with their back to the goal they are attacking, and Bale, as of right now is pretty much useless and a detriment to the team when trying to fill that role. Bale's position should be RW with Chadli on the left. That way you have players that are capable of going past on the outside and put in a class delivery, but also superb at cutting inside onto their strongest foot and either slide a pass through to the striker/on rushing CM's or going for the shot.

I repeat, Bale is NOT a CAM as he doesn't currently have the abilities, technically or mentally to play with his back to goal for up to 80% of the time. A CAM links play most of the time, he doesn't run at a defence which is Bale's by FAR STRONGEST attribute...

Well he sorted out operated everywhere last year. Yeah, he would start in the middle but he would end up drifting everywhere. That is where is truly most effective me .

Well he sorted out operated everywhere last year. Yeah, he would start in the middle but he would end up drifting everywhere. That is where is truly most effective me .
I'm not against him roaming, but only as part of an interchangable unit where he has a starting position as a wideman. I have nothing against him popping up in the middle from time to time to scare the shit out of defenders, but generally he should stay as a wideman as his abilities are not that of a real CAM.

There was a quality atmosphere at the back. I like starting chants like these ones, but they don't normally catch on like they did yesterday.

Yeah when I walked in up there it vibrated well and hit off the roof. I think the old wooden chairs up there helped to bring out some old school songs!

If I follow the argument that @ Kalyl Kalyl is advancing it is that Bale may well be individually effective in the central free roaming role for himself as a player, and the amount of goals he will score, but is that the most effective use of him from a team perspective?

Effectiveness is relative. If the player is a "one man team" that we become over reliant on and become built around then it's debatable that the team as a whole is functioning as effectively as a unit as it might if he has a specific function. Sure, the price of that may be that Bale myself scores less and has less of a profile, but it really boils down to what's most effective for brand Bale or THFC as a collective. The latter is surely the priority?

If I follow the argument that @ Kalyl Kalyl is advancing it is that Bale may well be individually effective in the central free roaming role for himself as a player, and the amount of goals he will score, but is that the most effective use of him from a team perspective?

Effectiveness is relative. If the player is a "one man team" that we become over reliant on and become built around then it's debatable that the team as a whole is functioning as effectively as a unit as it might if he has a specific function. Sure, the price of that may be that Bale myself scores less and has less of a profile, but it really boils down to what's most effective for brand Bale or THFC as a collective. The latter is surely the priority?

I think he is under-rating Bale's technical game a ton. Its come a long , long way which has allowed him to take that next step to becoming a world class player. For me, Bale is at a level now where he can be effective anywhere on teh pitch.

Implying that Bale is "useless" in that spot? Crazy talk

I'm not against him roaming, but only as part of an interchangable unit where he has a starting position as a wideman. I have nothing against him popping up in the middle from time to time to scare the shit out of defenders, but generally he should stay as a wideman as his abilities are not that of a real CAM.

I think he could be very productive in the middle , left or right. He is that good.

But i do agree w/ the fact that Bale is most useful roaming and operating where he can be very involved. This would allow him to impact the game the most & to a certain extent, you need to be in the middle to have a proper link to the five others in the front 6.

I think he is under-rating Bale's technical game a ton. Its come a long , long way which has allowed him to take that next step to becoming a world class player. For me, Bale is at a level now where he can be effective anywhere on teh pitch.
That's not really the point I'm making. I'm not talking about the technical ability of Bale and where he himself is capable of playing. I am raising the question of what the best position for him is from a team perspective. If the consequence of his central role is that other players are playing out of position or are not giving the service they may get if he were on the wing them it's not so much about Bale's individual technical ability, but rather the impact his position of play has on the rest of the team. Facilitating his central role brings with it the potential to backfire if he gets injured and the club doesn't have the players in the squad who are capable of adapting to his central placement and the gap it causes if he's not playing.

I'm not saying this would apply to Bale at RM or another club. Really just looking at it from a THFC perspective based on our performances last year.

I agree to the post in making the point that Bale is not typically constructive of the team as a creative midfielder the same way VdV or Mata are, mainly not showing the ability to make passes that allow the team to move forward as a unit. While he played in the middle, he was more like a second striker. Some of the moments to remember such as the goal against Saints and Sunderland and the cross for Dempsey against City were made from a RW position, which I think is a valid point.

But then again that might be the tactics AVB wants, which clearly worked last season.

Back
Top Bottom