Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That tackle was reckless and typical of him. He has played well recently but these incidents happen too often. Doherty should have stopped the cross for the first goal. Lamela was reckless in getting sent off, finishing any real hope of getting back into the game. Many others had poor games. Just because it was not the sole reason we lost does not excuse the reckless tackle which gave away a penalty.
1. It wasn’t a penalty. 2. It was the only way to get in front of the striker to try to block him. If he doesn’t challenge the striker like that it would have been one on one.

Who gave the ball away?

1. It wasn’t a penalty. 2. It was the only way to get in front of the striker to try to block him. If he doesn’t challenge the striker like that it would have been one on one.

Who gave the ball away?

Lloris?

Watching it back it is from the goal kick but they are showing Son on the bench on my feed so I can't see if it was Lloris or if he passed it to a defender first.

Edit:

Watching the replay I am not sure why Sanchez lets Lacazette behind him in the first place. That is likely the biggest error he makes.

It was a penalty for me. Was it a bit unfortunate? Possibly, but he proved once again what a complete liability clown he is and needs selling ASAP. Pointless having a good 60 mins blocking and playing well, then when it comes to the crunch, gift the opposition a penalty. He’s clumsy, erratic and just not good enough. Like Aurier, for every decent bit of play you sometimes get from them, you are pretty much certain to get a mistake in the same game. A liability.

Watching it back it‘s mad how anyone could really criticise Davinson. A bad kick from Hugo is intercepted when we are stepping out, leaving an easy angle for a pass straight to Lacazette with Ndombele and Hojbjerg not set. Davinson did well to reduce the distance and get in a position to block, but because Lacazette is shit he whiffed it and kicked the air where Davinson (and everyone else) thought the ball was going to be. There’s some contact and the ref whistles.

If Lacazette had shot properly Davinson would have blocked it and it would have been great last ditch defending. He did everything right, just Lacazette fucked up so bad that it meant there was no ball to block. There was no foul play from Davinson worthy of a penalty, none at all. He made a normal block tackle that you see 20 times in any given match. The idiot referee just assumed there’d been a foul because of the movement of the ball, but it was purely Lacazette’s shite attempted shot that did that not Davinson. If Lacazette had taken his shot and the ball bounced of Davinson’s leg, the ref would never whistle.

"VAR is not here to re-referee the decision"?

But isn't that what VAR effectively does and is there for? I understand the distinction trying to be made, but it's ultimately the same thing. If Oliver doesn't call that a penalty but VAR does or advises him to review and then calls it one, isn't that re-refereeing the decison?

Rewatched the game and it's definitely between Sanchez and Lucas for best player today. Played very well but for a few poor passes, strong in the air, plenty of good defensive actions and showed intent in opposition box. Only cought out of position for the penalty foul because Lloris absolutely whifs his clearance straight to Pepe, Sanchez desperate recovery tackle was athletically impressive though clumsy.

I get what you are saying.
And I was thinking to myself yesterday that "oh, wow. Sanchez has been really good and comfortable today!"... and then the penalty happened.

I am not fully sure what was the correct decision there. Maybe it should have been a pen. Most likely not - Lacca had scuffed the chance by then already. But what is a solid fact - Sanchez should have never put him into that kind of position. He was clumsy and with clumsiness+questionable timing he gave ref a chance to assign penalty. Defender should not do it.

I know it is a clichee but to some extent it is true - if you are a defender and block attacker 9 times out of 10 and in this 10th time give away penalty and lose a game - you have done bad. If you are a striker and you miss firs 9 attempts, but put away 10th, you are a hero. So even though he was good overall, and without a doubt has shown improvement, I can't say that defender who is at fault at penalty was "best player of the game"...

Watching it back it‘s mad how anyone could really criticise Davinson. A bad kick from Hugo is intercepted when we are stepping out, leaving an easy angle for a pass straight to Lacazette with Ndombele and Hojbjerg not set. Davinson did well to reduce the distance and get in a position to block, but because Lacazette is shit he whiffed it and kicked the air where Davinson (and everyone else) thought the ball was going to be. There’s some contact and the ref whistles.

If Lacazette had shot properly Davinson would have blocked it and it would have been great last ditch defending. He did everything right, just Lacazette fucked up so bad that it meant there was no ball to block. There was no foul play from Davinson worthy of a penalty, none at all. He made a normal block tackle that you see 20 times in any given match. The idiot referee just assumed there’d been a foul because of the movement of the ball, but it was purely Lacazette’s shite attempted shot that did that not Davinson. If Lacazette had taken his shot and the ball bounced of Davinson’s leg, the ref would never whistle.

He didn't play it well at all, he never should have stepped up to let Lacazette behind him once Partey intercepted the ball, but he either wasn't paying attention or got caught ball watching.

I don't know how anyone can absolve him watching the reckless dive with his leg outstretched like that. Those kind of plays are always asking for penalties, especially the way the game is called now. But really he should never be diving back like that trying to catch Lacazette because he never should have let him behind him in the first place.

For me the penalty play overall shows the problem that still exists with Sanchez. In the recent games where he has looked good everything, for the most part, has been in front of him and easy to deal with, but we see here when someone gets past him, he panics and struggles to deal with it. We have seen this pattern too often from him that when put under pressure he far to often makes the wrong or a reckless play.

I don't think it means that he is terrible but I also think it shows he cannot be a first choice CB going forward for us.

He didn't play it well at all, he never should have stepped up to let Lacazette behind him once Partey intercepted the ball, but he either wasn't paying attention or got caught ball watching.

I don't know how anyone can absolve him watching the reckless dive with his leg outstretched like that. Those kind of plays are always asking for penalties, especially the way the game is called now. But really he should never be diving back like that trying to catch Lacazette because he never should have let him behind him in the first place.
if lacazette doesnt miscue it then he doesnt even fly into sanchez. sanchez is trying to block the shot hes not trying to win the ball. collision doesnt happen if lacazette doesnt miscue so to say thats a penalty is a joke. we all know sanchez is a liability but hes been fucked over there big time

if lacazette doesnt miscue it then he doesnt even fly into sanchez. sanchez is trying to block the shot hes not trying to win the ball. collision doesnt happen if lacazette doesnt miscue so to say thats a penalty is a joke. we all know sanchez is a liability but hes been fucked over there big time

I don't see it that way at all and I have seen it a bunch now.

Even if I agree with that though, it doesn't change that Lacazette should have never been behind him in the first place and that when a defender sticks his leg out like that and dives like Sanchez did they always open themselves to the risk of a penalty like that.

People can keep crying about it not being a penalty or not but Sanchez put himself in the bad position that created the chance for their even to be a penalty called and he shouldn't get off the hook for that just because people want to blame the ref.

I don't see it that way at all and I have seen it a bunch now.

Even if I agree with that though, it doesn't change that Lacazette should have never been behind him in the first place and that when a defender sticks his leg out like that and dives like Sanchez did they always open themselves to the risk of a penalty like that.

People can keep crying about it not being a penalty or not but Sanchez put himself in the bad position that created the chance for their even to be a penalty called and he shouldn't get off the hook for that just because people want to blame the ref.
weve lost the ball in a situation we shouldnt of thats why lacazette has a bit of space, its also a good ball into laczette at pace and his first touch is decent considering the balls been fizzed into him. but the collision does not happen if he connects clean with the ball, whats the difference from a player running with the ball at a defender, kicking the ball away to the side and run into the defender?

weve lost the ball in a situation we shouldnt of thats why lacazette has a bit of space, its also a good ball into laczette at pace and his first touch is decent considering the balls been fizzed into him. but the collision does not happen if he connects clean with the ball, whats the difference from a player running with the ball at a defender, kicking the ball away to the side and run into the defender?

Sanchez is moving forward after Partey intercepts it and lets lacazette behind him. As soon as the ball is intercepted, if not before, he should be aware of where Lacazette is and not let him behind him. It is clearly a massive error by him that sets up the whole play. It is why he is chasing him inside the box. if he plays it properly from the start even with a great pass he has Lacazette one on one with him in front of him rather than him having to dive back because Lacazette has a free run on goal.

The collision could easily happen if Lacazette hits it well, that is nonsense that it only happened because he miss hit it.

What is the difference if something completely different happens? Is that your question? You changed what happened in your hypothetical.

The collision could easily happen if Lacazette hits it well, that is nonsense that it only happened because he miss hit it.
lacazettes body deviates due to the miscue, if he doesnt do that he either gets a shot on target or it gets blocked, he doesnt go into sanchez in the same fashion as he did.

we all know sanchez is shit, can pick holes in his positioning till the cows come home because he is a poor footballer, but in fairness it is still a good sharp ball into lacazette and his first touch gives him an opportunity to get a shot off. i actually think sanchez does reasonably ok considering weve lost the ball in a position we shouldnt yet again.

think its harsh to blame it on sanchez positioning when this doesnt even become a problem if that Woolwich mug doesnt miskick the ball.. a penalty for miskicking the ball and flying into a defender! what a joke

lacazettes body deviates due to the miscue, if he doesnt do that he either gets a shot on target or it gets blocked, he doesnt go into sanchez in the same fashion as he did.

we all know sanchez is shit, can pick holes in his positioning till the cows come home because he is a poor footballer, but in fairness it is still a good sharp ball into lacazette and his first touch gives him an opportunity to get a shot off. i actually think sanchez does reasonably ok considering weve lost the ball in a position we shouldnt yet again.

think its harsh to blame it on sanchez positioning when this doesnt even become a problem if that Woolwich mug doesnt miskick the ball.. a penalty for miskicking the ball and flying into a defender! what a joke

It is not harsh to say a CB should not let the striker behind him. Watch the play there is zero reason that once Partey gets the ball Sanchez keeps moving up, he should immediately make sure that he keeps Lacazette in front of him in that case so he is much easier to deal with. If he does that the pass doesn't matter because Sanchez is not chasing.

Sanchez is diving in with his leg outstretched, we have seen similar plays result in penalties this year because refs are penalizing any contact. Once he dives like that it is difficult for him to control his actions, and impossible to control what Lacazette does so the potential for a ref to call a penalty, like happened here, is always there. If lacazette connects with the ball, outside of having a great chance to score, there is still a chance that Sanchez hits him anyways. Whether Oliver calls the penalty in that case I have no idea.

I am blaming Sanchez because if he played that correctly he is not in a position to be chasing and not in a position to dive in creating the contact which led to the penalty.

It is not harsh to say a CB should not let the striker behind him. Watch the play there is zero reason that once Partey gets the ball Sanchez keeps moving up, he should immediately make sure that he keeps Lacazette in front of him in that case so he is much easier to deal with. If he does that the pass doesn't matter because Sanchez is not chasing.

Sanchez is diving in with his leg outstretched, we have seen similar plays result in penalties this year because refs are penalizing any contact. Once he dives like that it is difficult for him to control his actions, and impossible to control what Lacazette does so the potential for a ref to call a penalty, like happened here, is always there. If lacazette connects with the ball, outside of having a great chance to score, there is still a chance that Sanchez hits him anyways. Whether Oliver calls the penalty in that case I have no idea.

I am blaming Sanchez because if he played that correctly he is not in a position to be chasing and not in a position to dive in creating the contact which led to the penalty.
so you dont think lacazettes leg deviates into sanchez due to his miscue? we are all in agreement sanchez is a very poor footballer and defender.

in actual fact watching it again its even worse! lacazettes miskick is so off key its actually an assault on sanchez . sanchez is not even expecting to be smashed into as the ball is a good 10 inches away from lacazettes foot..complete fuckup from the Woolwich scumbag.

watch it again, lacazettes is at least half a foot over to the right than where he should be before attempting to take a shot...its actually the most ridiculous penalty ive seen for a long time.

so you dont think lacazettes leg deviates into sanchez due to his miscue? we are all in agreement sanchez is a very poor footballer and defender.

in actual fact watching it again its even worse! lacazettes miskick is so off key its actually an assault on sanchez . sanchez is not even expecting to be smashed into as the ball is a good 10 inches away from lacazettes foot..complete fuckup from the Woolwich scumbag.

watch it again, lacazettes is at least half a foot over to the right than where he should be before attempting to take a shot...its actually the most ridiculous penalty ive seen for a long time.

I have watched it a bunch and no I don't think that.

Anyways my focus is more on how poorly Sanchez played it originally that put him in the position to be diving in like that. As I said they seem to be giving penalties for any contact in the box this year, whether that is right or wrong, so him giving Oliver the chance when he could have prevented it by playing it much better is my bigger gripe for him.

As for the actual call, I would be livid if that was Luiz on Kane so I try to be consistent in this case as well. Probably shouldn't be called, but based on what I have seen this year I 100% understand why it was.

100% I do not blame Sanchez for the penalty. The attempted tackle itself was maybe a bit crazy but he had no choice as Laca was clear through. In my best effort at being unbiased, I wouldn't say it was a pen. 99% of incidents like that there is no pen.

Maybe his positioning could've been better to begin with, but it wasn't his fault Pepe was able to slip Laca in so easily.

Back
Top Bottom