Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wasn't asking for a prediction/expectation, I was asking for a definitive statement on what specifically constitutes as "progress" on 4th, semi-final of League Cup and CL Final all achieved in Poch last full season.
Well are already in a league cup semi. Obviously CL is out. I think we'll get top 4.and EL semi final minimum. I definitely would have taken that at start of season.Remember that top 4 was basically a race between ourselves woolwich and man ure to throw it away.

Winning cups those cups would be progress. Poch helped us get a seat at the table, progress would be winning.
Agreed, but that would absolutely have to be whilst getting Spurs to compete at the top of the league, I've chosen that phrase because 4th, unless it's separated by a close points differential to 1st place, isn't an improvement. eg A Kangeroo Cup win and 8th place league finish isn't an improvement

Fucking horrible. This was when Jose really started to turn ...... basically Barca were footballing wise unstoppable.... Jose went full full shithouse. He got them over the line but it wasn’t sustainable

for me he was never the same after Real
to be fair he was up against the greatest footballing side the world has ever seen, so surely hes meant to come up with a plan to combat it.

Agreed, but that would absolutely have to be whilst getting Spurs to compete at the top of the league, I've chosen that phrase because 4th, unless it's separated by a close points differential to 1st place, isn't an improvement. eg A Kangeroo Cup win and 8th place league finish isn't an improvement
For sure, I don't think we really disagree that the expectation with Jose is a clear improvement in results. What that means, given Poch pushed us to quite a high level, is that we need to win things.

If Jose doesn't do that, he should go.

Yes. I've witnessed the best footballing Tottenham team in my lifetime (+45yrs) with him and a couple of others the standout stars in.
Hmmm fair enough I’m not disagreeing he was part of a fabulous footballing team and genuinely he was one of favourite players in our pomp

but I can’t deny I’ve thrown numerous fucks his way when a dele flick once more gave up the ball!

For sure, I don't think we really disagree that the expectation with Jose is a clear improvement in results. What that means, given Poch pushed us to quite a high level, is that we need to win things.

If Jose doesn't do that, he should go.
The crux for me is that if he was playing attractive football then I'd be more than happy for him to stay on as manager if we were challenging the top of the League and getting beyond 1/4 finals in Cups.

If he doesn't win any cups, have us finish below 3rd and play this passive crap then what is the point of him? This basically is his rules of engagement, a joyless approach, results only.

The crux for me is that if he was playing attractive football then I'd be more than happy for him to stay on as manager if we were challenging the top of the League and getting beyond 1/4 finals in Cups.

If he doesn't win any cups, have us finish below 3rd and play this passive crap then what is the point of him? This basically is his rules of engagement, a joyless approach, results only.
Again, I don't disagree and you're right. If he's not winning things then he shouldn't remain here. That's the bargain we struck with Jose.

We haven't won in so long and he's here to help us win things. The hope/goal is that he can kick start our club into winning things in the short term and then we can bring in another project/philosophical manager after that.

well if the results dont happen he gets binned, like any manager. got to give him this season and then next season to really have a go though. surely counter attacking football is stomach-able for a couple years if the results are good. sick of spurs being seen as a soft touch, thats what is truly boring.

Hmmm fair enough I’m not disagreeing he was part of a fabulous footballing team and genuinely he was one of favourite players in our pomp

but I can’t deny I’ve thrown numerous fucks his way when a dele flick once more gave up the ball!
The thing is the focus now is on those that don't come off. Watch back a game during the height of Poch's time with us, Dele's flicks were still not all landing (I've no idea the % of success with him but suspect t was still low back then), he missed loads of goalscoring opportunities, he personified the football I'm advocating from our forwards. Brave, high risk-taking football, underpinned with a rock-solid spine behind him.

The thing is the focus now is on those that don't come off. Watch back a game during the height of Poch's time with us, Dele's flicks were still not all landing (I've no idea the % of success with him but suspect t was still low back then), he missed loads of goalscoring opportunities, he personified the football I'm advocating from our forwards. Brave, high risk-taking football, underpinned with a rock-solid spine behind him.
I guess I just don’t like giving the ball away cheaply

it boils down to good decision making

getting the balance right

(I think wanting a solid spine is a given)

The Dele of old is never coming back the sooner we accept that and move on the better.

I think that's true.

He was so instinctive, so fresh and so in your fa e. A real game winner, average team or good.

Now he seems unsure and a much lesser version.

And up until the last 3 PL games, his absence had began to be met with less and less comment.

Again, I don't disagree and you're right. If he's not winning things then he shouldn't remain here. That's the bargain we struck with Jose.

We haven't won in so long and he's here to help us win things. The hope/goal is that he can kick start our club into winning things in the short term and then we can bring in another project/philosophical manager after that.
I like the sentiment but I don't think there's an opportunity to be that linear for any successor unless they played in exactly the same way. Should we look to change to for argument sake Klopp or Guardiola or Nagglesmann or Hasenhuttl it would be like starting from ground zero all over again, with maybe the profile of players not suited.

But our centre halves are now older and lack pace. Walker and trippier gone. Rose out of picture. We dont have the pace and power of dembele and wanyama. Sitting back now is a product of that. Its well known that jose wants a pacey centre half. I dont we can afford players trying things that worked 3-4 year ago with different players around them

Back
Top Bottom