Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this season is a turning point for him at Spurs - injured most of first season, loaned out 2nd season to Germany doing 'alright' and even 'well' there, involved sporadically last season. Hopefully he takes advantage of Persic as a role model

Crazy to think this is his 4th season as a Spurs payer!

I think this season is a turning point for him at Spurs - injured most of first season, loaned out 2nd season to Germany doing 'alright' and even 'well' there, involved sporadically last season. Hopefully he takes advantage of Persic as a role model

You don't need to be a seasoned world class pro to tell Sess to stop turning inside and making the easy pass. Put a cross in. Beat the man and carry on into the box etc. Stop halting great breaks.

Who’s going to agree that Spence will be 1st choice RWB within a month or so?

Me not because he is necessarily a better player than Emerson or Doherty but becuase his skill set will probably fit a lot more. Obviously this is assuming he plays like he did against Woolwich and Leicester last season in the cups and run hard at players in attack and run hard tracking back.

Both him and Perisic running at players or making runs behind players will make us more difficult to play against.

In his pomp Danny actually beat his man and tackled like he fucking meant it tbh.

In his pomp Danny was an outstanding wingback, and not only did his effort belie the fact that he wasn't even a Usain Bolt, he also was very good at winning the ball and finding space.

Goes to show how much of a players level is attributed exclusively to attitude and sheer hunger.

Who’s going to agree that Spence will be 1st choice RWB within a month or so?
Even if he's 2nd choice then he should get plenty of game time. With 5 subs next season, I would guess both wingbacks are probably going to get subbed most games to bring on fresh legs up and down the wings. If he does become 1st choice then I hope it's because he's taken his chance rather than the need to drop Doherty/Royal

Salah was apparently second choice at Liverpool, as was Kulsevski for us, and Son. Shit happens.

I will say though that I don't think he's a "conte wingback" like people are saying. A Conte WB has to have either great delivery into the box (trippier) or really good at scoring (doherty). Spence's supposed traits don't fit that mould.
Not many of Conte's wingbacks have great delivery. Peresic probably has the best delivery into the box that he has worked with from Chelsea on wards and wouldn't describe it as great.

Wingbacks in Conte's system tend to run/dribble to the byline and play cut backs, rather than crossing (Spence is good at this).

If I were Spence I’d be relieved at the quote.

He’ll be with Spurs longer than Conte, it’s good to know the club value him longterm and won’t look to ship him out once Conte leaves.

And Conte is unlikely to be with spurs past the 2023/24 season.

That would be hard to replicate, as Poch is no longer with the club. Danny was only one of a few that made a mistake or had a short-lived poor run of form, and were made a pariah by Poch, which in turn damaged their careers. I can't say for sure that Danny would be a much better player than he is, had that not happened to him, but we will never know.

Poch made him what he was, and he wasn't the only player to benefit from that, on our top level team under Poch.

Walker, Dier, Dele, the list goes on.

The 'club' also includes Paratici, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. We need home-grown players and he's considered a rising star. It's a sensible signing and if he turns out to be good for us it's only going to increase Conte's faith in the club.
Hope you're right, obviously.

Would have been more reassuring if Conte had shown a little more enthusiasm rather than the half hearted acceptance on show.

Smacks of Mourinho/Rodon and Poch/Clarke though.

Time will tell, I guess

:dierpochhug:

Nailed it.

Conte ;
"I said ok, this player is young but he has shown he can become a good important player for us "

Let's break this down.
Paratici;
"Do you want Spence"

Conte;
"Yes"

The club then buys Spence.

And yet somehow this gets translated as ;
"The club's buying players Conte doesn't want"

This is right up there with "he'll be gone by Christmas " levels of self delusion.

Toxic trauma hound(s)..... Zero suprise who's presence has ramped up and is leading the charge.

Toxic trauma hound(s)..... Zero suprise who's presence has ramped up ans is leading the charge.
Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

If Conte had wanted him he would have said so.. ' feta accompli' springs to mind.. weeks b4 weeks b4 a season starts he gets a player he never asked for... NOT a good thing...
If Conte didn't want him he would of said "No" and the player wouldn't have been signed.

"Fait accompli" ????????
The negotiations have been going on for months. I'm sure Conte might of heard a whisper or two about it before the deal was done.

Not at all. I'm merely pointing out that while our previous managers all bemoaned the fact that players were brought in against their judgment, we were hoping that with Antonio this disturbing trend was finally ending.

After all, I was as loud and enthusiastic as anyone with the signing of Richarlison.

But you can't just pretend he never said it, mate.....Or start crying if someone else highlights it..
in fact there was no pressure on him to say anything like that at all!
I was going to reply, but it looks like cretinousgoat cretinousgoat stevee stevee and others pretty much covered it.

As they said, it may not have been a player Conte identified first, but gave the ok when the club asked him. So he was sanctioned by Conte.

Keep trying...

Back
Top Bottom