ECL - Spurs vs NS Mura, Thursday 30th Sept at 8pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I almost felt quite emotional seeing all the kids around, excited to be in the ground, not bothered by the thousands of empty seats, the embarrassing opposition, the third rate (at best) tournament, the misery of recent results… why do we put those we love the most through a process and ritual that is likely to bring decades of misery into their lives?
hope GIF

Here are my talking points:

- Need a backup st. Dane is nowhere near ready. Don thought otherwise though.
- Dele is so poor
- Doherty and Winks (although he was alright yesterday) likewise
- Nuno shouldn't need to bring on the big boys
- Still a lack of pressing and intesnity
- We can only play well for patches.
- When will the likes of Markanday , John etc.. get minutes. I thought this competition was for them.

The worrying thing is this team is REALLY REALLY BAD. Worst team currently in europe. 300 places between us and them in the UEFA coefficient. Yet we needed the big boys to come on to get a convincing result.
We only had 13 shots all game against the worst team we will play all season. Its really worrying. Its made me further doubt and dislike Nuno because yesterday was not convincing at all.

We should be beating this team convincingly. Dominating them in all metrics and with the 'b team' . Instead even with the big boys on the overall stats weren't even that convincing.

What's better, 1 forward pass that sets up a goal or 20 that don't?

What's better , a 'dreadful' performance where you score a goal; or a great performance where you don't?
He didn't 'score a goal'. He narrowly squeaked a penalty past the keeper, who got a hand to it. He then went on to gift pretty much every ball he kicked, to the opposition, giving them a confidence they didn't have immediately after going 2-0 down. He's a liability, a spent force, an ex-parrot. He's gone to meet his maker.
Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through him. He's bleedin' demised! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker. H's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace.
'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!
Replace him with a slug.

Last edited:
I'm irritated that we needed to bring on the big guns yesterday, mostly because it lays bare how thin the quality in the squad is. We should be easing past these, though a lot of it seemed to be attitude. I doubt Nuno is coaching these guys to ease off after scoring, but he's also not getting the message through that they need to finish off the job. Partially his fault, but professional players should also not need to be told to finish the job professionally.

But on the flipside I'm not annoyed that Kane, Son and Moura got game time in itself though. 30 minues isn't that much of a risk, and it does give them a chance to play together and find their rhythm again after a well publicised disrupted start to the season, no matter who the opposition was.

Didn’t see the game know we were playing but heard Kane absolutely ran this mob out of North London.
Probably saved our future.

Can anyone confirm?
Kane played very well, during the 30 minutes he was on, but Son was at least as good (better, in my eyes) and Moura added that extra pressure. I think it needed all three of them to make the difference - good substitutions by Nuno. As you can imagine, Hobjerger solidified the midfield for us.

Considering the level of opposition to have to play our better players to put daylight between them and us was disappointing our prospects look bleak if this is where we are at .

People still putting Skipp up on a pedestal. Other than 1 penetrating run and shot wide, he spent the whole of the first half doing helicopter arms and passing sideways.
He has decent energy and does put a shift in, but I'm yet to see him do much with the ball that makes me think he has the potential to be a star.

People still putting Skipp up on a pedestal. Other than 1 penetrating run and shot wide, he spent the whole of the first half doing helicopter arms and passing sideways.
He has decent energy and does put a shift in, but I'm yet to see him do much with the ball that makes me think he has the potential to be a star.

He’s a DM, he covers, he tackles, he passes pretty well. He does the DM role and he does it good, he is not Eriksen and will not become Eriksen. It’s not Skipps fault that players further ahead of him like Dele aren’t doing their roles properly.

He did some excellent tackling back. Full of energy and never wanting the oppposition to settle. In general he also tends to look for the forward pass far more than Winks does, which is good, I reckon.

He’s a DM, he covers, he tackles, he passes pretty well. He does the DM role and he does it good, he is not Eriksen and will not become Eriksen. It’s not Skipps fault that players further ahead of him like Dele aren’t doing their roles properly.
So is Kante and look what that freakish little fucker offers.
People making comments this season about Skipp being a future captain. Nope.
At least, not until he adds a bit more to his game that tracking players and passing sideways.

So is Kante and look what that freakish little fucker offers.
People making comments this season about Skipp being a future captain. Nope.
At least, not until he adds a bit more to his game that tracking players and passing sideways.

I don’t think anyone expects Skipp to be Kante who is probably the best midfielder in the league. If Skipp becomes 60-70% of Scott Parker he will be a top player for us for the next decade.

I don’t think anyone expects Skipp to be Kante who is probably the best midfielder in the league. If Skipp becomes 60-70% of Scott Parker he will be a top player for us for the next decade.

Given how polarised fans were about Parker, I wouldn't say 60-70% of Parker is a good thing though.

Skipp is the least of our worries. Solid player who gives a fuck and screens the defence well.

Agreed. Just think fans should temper their expectations and give the kid space rather than expect him to be the centre of our team and watch him fail.

I'm not gonna lie, I think Kante is a more valuable player.

Back
Top Bottom