Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was very solid again today, but he does lack a bit of dynamism.

Hojbjerg, Emerson, and Davies are all a bit similar. Very solid and do a job in a starting 11, but if they were second choice rather than first you’d rate them way more.

Their level is somewhere in between first 11 and bench player.

Thought Emerson and Romero were the two players who brought the required physical intensity to our game in the first half.

Team was completely outnumbered in midfield and didn't stand much chance without a change of shape, but those two battled manfully.

I have no idea what he was doing for the first goal, he’s staring at the ball coming into his zone but he doesn’t move a muscle until the ball has already fallen to Koulibaly.

He tried hard in open play but like many others in the team his inability to be decisive under pressure caused us many problems. He needs a full second to decide what to do and when Chelsea are pressing like that you have half a second at best.

I have no idea what he was doing for the first goal, he’s staring at the ball coming into his zone but he doesn’t move a muscle until the ball has already fallen to Koulibaly.

He tried hard in open play but like many others in the team his inability to be decisive under pressure caused us many problems. He needs a full second to decide what to do and when Chelsea are pressing like that you have half a second at best.
yea hes not a natural footballer so has to think what to do and like you say when under pressure in a high intensity game you dont have the luxury of that second, it can be lethal.

needs to be pulled out of starting 11 against wolves, doherty and spence need a chance to show what they can do, we know what doherty can do as we see it back end of last year, massive upgrade on emerson when we have the ball.

I believe Emerson is only playing right now because of his fitness. Doherty had a big injury and is probably still building to his best condition and Spence is going to need time to reach the level Conte demands.

But to be fair to Emerson, he is giving the absolute maximum that he can give. His limitations are what they are, they are never going to change. In most games his high level of effort will be enough if he just follows Conte’s instructions, but in games where the opponent is superior to us and dominating the game his inability to improvise and react quickly will be exposed.

I have to give him credit for running so hard and really trying to affect the game in the last third even though his end product is so poor. You can’t get too upset with a player who is trying his best.

Ha this thread is on the 3rd page, not one mention of how he played today, he's really improved.
Yeah that's the point

He's definitely getting better, looks more comfortable and solid.

Deserved the no1 spot at RWB so far, keep it up :thumbup:

If Royal is long term no1 RWB for us, then we are just royally fucked.

I agree that he has improved, but unfortunately only in defensive side of the game.

In attacking side he is just clueless, cant pass, can't cross. At some point it was visible that Chelsea players were willing to give him more time and room, cause he just could not deliver accurate ball anyway.

I think he will still start number of games in EPL and CL as well this season. But either he magically improves in his delivery + game reading OR we have to use someone else in this position.

I didn't think we was that bad

Great in defense there was a reason they avoided his flank and targeted Sess and then Davies

And put a couple of decent crosses in that should have had someone on the end

Struggled when pressed but then so did the whole team

Spence isn't in Conte's plans for now. he's made that clear it was the club signing him for the future and not for him.
Apart from the Spence we dont seem to have any interest in improving RWB, so it does seems Conte is happy Emerson and Doherty as his man guys....well he actually played Lucas ahead of Doherty sunday when we needed a goal which i felt a bit strange as i'd say Matt is more likely to score from that position than Moura

Last edited:
I think he will still start number of games in EPL and CL as well this season. But either he magically improves in his delivery + game reading OR we have to use someone else in this position.

If Conte continues to choose him instead of Doh, Spence, Lucas & Perisic then it is what it is......

Fan-ultimatums will mean little.

I think Emerson could be a tidy enough player to bring on to shore things up when we're a couple of goals up - his defensive side of things has certainly improved.

I would prefer us to start with Doherty or Spence, as more dynamic RWBs.

Yeh, I know.... I get it......... "In Conte we trust" only counts when it suits.

You think the aforementioned fan-ultimatums should be sent by text or email?

'In Conte we trust' doesn't apply to when we have rubbish options at RWB and he's forced to choose his poison.

'In Conte we trust' doesn't apply to when we have rubbish options at RWB and he's forced to choose his poison.

The fact remains that (for now) Conte appears to prefer the guy that plenty here would claim is the worst of those that we have available; so yeh... It kinda does still apply.

Anyway, so as to not completely ignore the context of my OG post.... You think fan-ultimatums of "Emerson must be better" will have any bearing?

The fact remains that (for now) Conte appears to prefer the guy that plenty here would claim is the worst of those that we have available; so yeh... It kinda does still apply.

Anyway, so as to not completely ignore the context of my OG post.... You think fan-ultimatums of "Emerson must be better" will have any bearing?

Doherty is probably still getting back up to speed after injury & Spence hasn't had a pre season with us so it's very much a 'for now the best option' sort of deal. Doherty was far better in his pre-injury spell than Emerson ever has been for us.

I think it's an opinion. I don't think every post has to be tinged with 'whatever Conte wants' as if we're some sort of cult now. That poster thinks Emerson has to improve going forward to remain first choice in the long term which I can't say I disagree with. The man kneecaps our attacking play down the right.

Doherty is probably still getting back up to speed after injury & Spence hasn't had a pre season with us so it's very much a 'for now the best option' sort of deal. Doherty was far better in his pre-injury spell than Emerson ever has been for us.

A lot would agree with that.

I think it's an opinion.

An 'ultimatum' isn't an opinion........

(Re-read the post I originally replied to.)

To paraphrase...... "If Conte continues to pick him them he must improve"..... The simple fact is that IF Conte continues to select him then a decsion (temporary or otherwise) has been made (whatever the basis).... And the 'devil' lies in the detail of that basis.

I don't think every post has to be tinged with 'whatever Conte wants' as if we're some sort of cult now.

Neither do I; but that's not what I'm doing here.

That poster thinks Emerson has to improve going forward to remain first choice in the long term which I can't say I disagree with.

That's NOT how it was articulated though.

I'd suggest it's far more pertinent to considering why he would be continuing to choose Emerson as opposed to the other FOUR I listed.... If indeed that is what happens.

Last edited:
Spence isn't in Conte's plans for now. he's made that clear it was the club signing him for the future and not for him.
Apart from the Spence we dont seem to have any interest in improving RWB, so it does seems Conte is happy Emerson and Doherty as his man guys....well he actually played Lucas ahead of Doherty sunday when we needed a goal which i felt a bit strange as i'd say Matt is more likely to score from that position than Moura
We've played 2 matches in a season whose start has been moved up because of the world cup and after the new signing has spent the summer playing with the U21s. I don't think the fact he hasn't played means Conte has no use for him or he was a club signing.

Hell, Poch started KWP in back to back Augusts and let him rot on the training pitch for the whole rest of 2 seasons.

People jump to conclusions over August football way too often. Who is playing is, most often, merely a reflection of who is in the best shape, mentally checked in, and/or not worn out from international fixtures over the summer.

We've played 2 matches in a season whose start has been moved up because of the world cup and after the new signing has spent the summer playing with the U21s. I don't think the fact he hasn't played means Conte has no use for him or he was a club signing.

Hell, Poch started KWP in back to back Augusts and let him rot on the training pitch for the whole rest of 2 seasons.

People jump to conclusions over August football way too often. Who is playing is, most often, merely a reflection of who is in the best shape, mentally checked in, and/or not worn out from international fixtures over the summer.

saying Spence is not in Conte's plans FOR NOW is jumping to conclusions when he literally is not in his plans at the moment?
he hasn't really played in pre season, he hasn't played the first 2 league games, and unless theres' an injury outbreak at RB I dont see him starting ahead of Emerson or Doherty in the next month of games either.
I think its fair to say he's not in contes plans for now

saying Spence is not in Conte's plans FOR NOW is jumping to conclusions when he literally is not in his plans at the moment?
he hasn't really played in pre season, he hasn't played the first 2 league games, and unless theres' an injury outbreak at RB I dont see him starting ahead of Emerson or Doherty in the next month of games either.
I think its fair to say he's not in contes plans for now

What you think isn't a direct reflection of what Conte's plans are.

Even if they were; plans can change VERY quickly.

Back
Top Bottom