England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good article, good insight though some take the opportunity to kick you when you're down as you can sense a little glee in the words. But it seems the problems are obvious to all around football.

Southgate is not England's problem? What a load of shit.

Why do we always get these ill thought out think pieces that over analyse England, they're akin to fans of other countries saying dumb meaningless shit like 'The players aren't as good as they think they are'.

Why is it so difficult to understand, England fans don't expect to win, we just expect some cohesive football with a plan and for players not to be shoe-horned into the team, we except a competent coach on £5m a year to have an idea of how to get the best out the talent that he has at his disposal.

Quit the gaslighting

Last edited:
Southgate is not England's problem? What a load of shit.

Why do we always get these ill thought out think pieces that over analyse England, they're akin to fans of other countries saying dumb meaningless shit like 'The players aren't as good as they think they are'.

Why is it so difficult to understand, England fans don't expect to win, we just expect some cohesive football with a plan and for players not to be shoe-horned into the team, we except a competent coach on £5m a year to have an idea of how to get the best out the talent that he has at his disposal.

Quit the gaslighting

It’s more bizarre on a Spurs forum as well.

When we had AVB and Sherwood a lot of this forum thought Vertoghen, Moussa Dembele, Eriksen and Walker where shit and we needed to sell the whole squad. Suddenly Pochettino a competent coach arrives and Moussa Dembele is no longer shit.

same with Ramos when Redknapp took over, night and day. If you handicap players with terrible tactics and coaching what do you expect.

No-one can tell me with a straight face that Pep or Klopp couldn’t make a decent team with Kane, Gordon, Grealish, Maddison, Saka, Ghuei, Toney, Watkins, Foden, Palmer, Bowen, Bellingham, Rice, Mainoo, Wharton, Braintwaite, Walker, James, Trent, Shaw, Stones.

It’s more bizarre on a Spurs forum as well.

When we had AVB and Sherwood a lot of this forum thought Vertoghen, Moussa Dembele, Eriksen and Walker where shit and we needed to sell the whole squad. Suddenly Pochettino a competent coach arrives and Moussa Dembele is no longer shit.

same with Ramos when Redknapp took over, night and day. If you handicap players with terrible tactics and coaching what do you expect.

No-one can tell me with a straight face that Pep or Klopp couldn’t make a decent team with Kane, Gordon, Grealish, Maddison, Saka, Ghuei, Toney, Watkins, Foden, Palmer, Bowen, Bellingham, Rice, Mainoo, Wharton, Braintwaite, Walker, James, Trent, Shaw, Stones.

Yes...this is the thing, we see this in club football week in week out when players are underperforming and lack direction, a new coach comes in and players start to perform to their ability, like you say its literally happened at our club but yeah obviously the rules are different when it comes because to England because of foreigners in the Prem or Brexit ot some shit.

I don't understand how people think we shouldn't expect more from a group of players to score more than 2 fucking goals in the tournament for a start, doesn't even need Pep or Klopp, look at what Ralf is doing with Austria to see a proper coaching performance.

If Southgate actually lined up with players in their natural positions and set the team up to get the most out of these players and they were still underperforming then they focus will be on the players, not the manager.

Didn't Gomez play half a season at Left Back for Liverpool?

Why is he behind Konsa?

And more importantly, why didn't he take someone like Tyrick Mitchell?

The squad choice is getting more and more bizarre.
Konsas stats at not crossing the half way line and not playing any progressive passes or take ons are higher

Yes...this is the thing, we see this in club football week in week out when players are underperforming and lack direction, a new coach comes in and players start to perform to their ability, like you say its literally happened at our club but yeah obviously the rules are different when it comes because to England because of foreigners in the Prem or Brexit ot some shit.

I don't understand how people think we shouldn't expect more from a group of players to score more than 2 fucking goals in the tournament for a start, doesn't even need Pep or Klopp, look at what Ralf is doing with Austria to see a proper coaching performance.

If Southgate actually lined up with players in their natural positions and set the team up to get the most out of these players and they were still underperforming then they focus will be on the players, not the manager.
It’s the back 6 he picks that’s the issue. The foundation of the attacking side is fractured - both in terms of player selection and tactics

Primary reason the attack is underperforming imo - they don’t get the ball quickly

Safe safe safe with no forward runs from the back 6

Good article, good insight though some take the opportunity to kick you when you're down as you can sense a little glee in the words. But it seems the problems are obvious to all around football.

Good article????

WTF

It's basically just a load of foreign journalists rubbing their hands and gleefully putting the boot in.

Italian, French, German and Portuguese journalists just standing on the edges and sniping...... The German guy seems to be particularly affected by short man syndrome with a particularly large inferiority complex in life.

What exactly has Brexit got to do with the current England squad being mismanaged and a bit shit........ I don't know either but they still managed to get it in.

Fucks sake - it's not like Italy, France or Portugal have lit the tournament up already.

Yes we're shit at the moment.......but we might get better. .......

Going to have my Swiss and Denmark shirts on today.....

In the "kind of" words of Keegan

"I would love it if Germany went out"

What exactly has Brexit got to do with the current England squad being mismanaged and a bit shit........ I don't know either but they still managed to get it in.
And the problem with that comparison is that it would cast Southgate as the Farage of football. All patriotic swagger and general dickheadry. The *only* thing he would do is listen to the fans.

If anything, Southgate is the opposite. A moral puritan who is here to give the masses their virtuous medicine in the guise of dogshit double pivot AIDS.

I bet Southgate picks the same eleven as last time except he brings in Mainoo for Gallagher.
As Ange said the other day when asked something about tactics; ‘ football is changing all the time ‘. Well Southgate hasn’t He can’t.
Every team in the Euros knows how to defend and set up a low block and hit on the break. Our ridiculously slow turgid build up style is custom made for other teams playing this style.
I fear more England pain and embarrassment incoming

And the problem with that comparison is that it would cast Southgate as the Farage of football. All patriotic swagger and general dickheadry. The *only* thing he would do is listen to the fans.

If anything, Southgate is the opposite. A moral puritan who is here to give the masses their virtuous medicine in the guise of dogshit double pivot AIDS.
It's just lazy shitty journalism that paints England fans as some entitled fanbase that expects to win everything because we have the Premier League.

N othing could be further from the truth - your average England fan just wants a bit of good football and to give it their best shot. Not this negative anti football which just seems like death from a thousand cuts.

And no one 'expects' to win. They hope we do, but most of the time we know we won't.

It's unbelievable that it seems the only change will be Mainoo coming into the 11 tomorrow because he had a decent 45 minutes. Southgate either knows that we've been playing in second gear and expects the likes of Foden, Bellingham and Saka to now turn it on in the knockouts, when it really matters, or he's even more stubborn than we all knew he was.

It's unbelievable that it seems the only change will be Mainoo coming into the 11 tomorrow because he had a decent 45 minutes. Southgate either knows that we've been playing in second gear and expects the likes of Foden, Bellingham and Saka to now turn it on in the knockouts, when it really matters, or he's even more stubborn than we all knew he was.

He's as stubborn as fuck and hanging the players out to dry rather than indulge a little introspection.

I.e. "if my system isn't working; it's the players' fault"

Or c) he's clueless and deluded and actually believes that he's am elite manager.

I think he's read too many bios about managers who stuck to their guns and were proved right.

You'd think he'd know that he's sacked unless we win it so he'd want to at least have a go.

He had the perfect chance last match in a relatively risky free game, but he only made one (bad obviously) change from the match before.

He's as stubborn as fuck and hanging the players out to dry rather than indulge a little introspection.

I.e. "if my system isn't working; it's the players' fault"
Whilst simultaneously saying shit like

"Blame me, not the players" in some weird kind of bluff that people will actually think he's taking the heat off the players, when in actual fact it's him who's asking them to do the impossible by playing outside of their normal positions and therefore is directly responsible for any pressure that they're feeling or getting.

He can't see or won't appreciate the extremely good fortune he's had in the England job.

Or c) he's clueless and deluded and actually believes that he's am elite manager.

I think he's read too many bios about managers who stuck to their guns and were proved right.

You'd think he'd know that he's sacked unless we win it so he'd want to at least have a go.

He had the perfect chance last match in a relatively risky free game, but he only made one (bad obviously) change from the match before.

Him fumbling his way into the semi & final between 2018-21 gave his ego a massive boost. He's not the same humble guy anymore.

Been saying his attitude stinks for years now but all anyone wanted to hear was "nice guy Gareth", "waistcoats", "Atomic Kitten" and most infuriatingly "best manager since the 60s".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom