England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You know it’s possible for both France and England to have been poor.

Can we not comment on how shit Chelsea are because Tottenham have played badly? Come on.

It’s possible. It’s just weird how obsessed you are with us as a NT. I don’t really care that France have been poor, other than to point it out when you pop up. I’m aware international football is weird and that a team playing shit can still win tournaments or turn up randomly for some big games.

You’ve just matched on to this tournament favourite stuff. Of course beating the Swiss (who were minutes away from beating Germany & schooled the reigning champs) would be a decent achievement. They’ve looked classy as fuck all tournament.

I don’t think we’ll do it btw. I don’t believe we will be hammered or anything, but I do think we will go out. Mainly because I don’t see Gareth changing much for it.

It’s possible. It’s just weird how obsessed you are with us as a NT. I don’t really care that France have been poor, other than to point it out when you pop up. I’m aware international football is weird and that a team playing shit can still win tournaments or turn up randomly for some big games.

You’ve just matched on to this tournament favourite stuff. Of course beating the Swiss (who were minutes away from beating Germany & schooled the reigning champs) would be a decent achievement. They’ve looked classy as fuck all tournament.

I don’t think we’ll do it btw. I don’t believe we will be hammered or anything, but I do think we will go out. Mainly because I don’t see Gareth changing much for it.
I think you’ll do it.

My favourites are still Germany but you are my second favourites. You’ll be up there with Greece 04 and Portugal 16 in the pantheon of the greats. But precisely zero England fans will give the smallest shit - just like Greece and Portugal fans didn’t.

And good for you!

I think you’ll do it.

My favourites are still Germany but you are my second favourites. You’ll be up there with Greece 04 and Portugal 16 in the pantheon of the greats. But precisely zero England fans will give the smallest shit - just like Greece and Portugal fans didn’t.

And good for you!

Those teams could defend. Whenever Slovakia attacked we were vulnerable. For the goal Walker was nowhere.

We are not organised enough to pull off what those countries did. Not do we have a Pepe at the back.

Those teams could defend. Whenever Slovakia attacked we were vulnerable. For the goal Walker was nowhere.

We are not organised enough to pull off what those countries did. Not do we have a Pepe at the back.
I agree. You haven’t faced a side with good attacking and Slovakia looked excellent when they showed attacking intent. Not sure Lewis Dunk will help after his performance against Iceland.

It would be hilarious though. There’d be a lot of whiplash around Southgate’s legacy.

Luck is a funny thing in football.

Anyone just hear "England correspondent" Faye Carruthers on TS?

Sickening level apologist. Classic case of say nice things; get better access 'journalism'.

Many teeth-grinding comments and excuses; but amongst them she said in relation to Jude hitting back at his critics: "Well people have been demanding more bite from the team.....Now they have it; they're still not happy"....

Anybody demanding "grit" is talking about performance... i.e. ON THE PITCH... Not calling for players to get a bit chippy in the media in the face fair criticism.

FFS the amount of gaslighting we're being subjected to by Gary and his acolytes is fucking infuriating!

Last edited:
Gary: "We didn't defend transitions well; but then again we started with an extra footballer in MF"

1. Bit of a clumsy backhanded slap to Gallagher & TAA.
2. Nothing to do with the 2 FBs playing like shit and Rice & Stones playing with fear when playing out; thus leaving us easy to press?
3. He's still burying his head in the absence of Phillips...... Whom he sees as the only possible route to a balanced MF (not that he's some progressive boy-wonder).

Play Wharton you fucking gimp.

Last edited:
Switzerland are probably one of the worst teams for England to play - a very well drilled back 5 and dangerous on the counter

10 of the probable starting 11 on Saturday played against England two years ago and lost. They've had a good tournament so far but people are clearly over rating them based on them beating a woeful Italy side that were appalling on the day. It wasn't long ago at all that Switzerland were scraping draws against the likes of Kosovo, Belarus and Israel.

10 of the probable starting 11 on Saturday played against England two years ago and lost. They've had a good tournament so far but people are clearly over rating them based on them beating a woeful Italy side that were appalling on the day. It wasn't long ago at all that Switzerland were scraping draws against the likes of Kosovo, Belarus and Israel.

I'm rating them as a tough team for England to play based on their defensive performance vs Germany

England are struggling to create any chances

We were shit in that game too and they totally matched us..... A classic Gary v non-cannon-fodder qualifier performance saved by a banger from outside the box and a late pen from Kane.

dFLWaQR.png

These are the performances oft referenced but dismissed because "at least we got a result; no-one will care about the qualifiers come the finals" or "It's only a friendly"..... These are the games we ought to build upon and learn from; which Gary fails to do so.

Last edited:
We were shit in that game too and they totally matched us..... A classic Gary v non-cannon-fodder qualifier performance saved by a late pen from Kane.

dFLWaQR.png

Still won, as we generally do against Switzerland. It will be a close, tight game against them. But some people are acting as if England don't stand a chance. They're in better form and have obviously looked more impressive so far, but in knockout games form often goes out the window. As well as they are doing, and as much as we are being Southgated, I would still much rather have our players than there's.

Still won, as we generally do against Switzerland. It will be a close, tight game against them. But some people are acting as if England don't stand a chance. They're in better form and have obviously looked more impressive so far, but in knockout games form often goes out the window. As well as they are doing, and as much as we are being Southgated,

Given all evidence; all I see is a game that could easily blow up in our faces unless we find a gear/performance that has been out of reach so far; both in this tourney and MANY other games.

I would still much rather have our players than there's.

That on-paper advantage stands to mean less and less the better the team we come up against....... Or maybe you sincerely rate Switzerland lower in quality than Serbia, Slovenia & Slovakia?

EDIT:

FIFA Rankings:
England 5
Serbia 32
Denmark 21
Slovenia 57
Slovakia 45

Next up: Switzerland 19.

Last edited:
Can't explain it. I think we'll beat them 2-0 or 3-1.

I cannot evidence or justify this confidence, it's just how it is.
I think also think we win, just so we can start getting a bit of belief and feel good factor in the Country, Tories obliterated at the elections Friday morning, England qualify for the Semis the day after, people start to think maybe, just maybe its our time and at last its coming home, then just when we start to get that tiny bit of belief it will be ripped away from us!

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Given all evidence; all I see is a game that could easily blow up in our faces unless we find a gear/performance that has been out of reach so far; both in this tourney and MANY other games.

That on-paper advantage stands to mean less and less the better the team we come up against....... Or maybe you sincerely rate Switzerland lower in quality than Serbia, Slovenia & Slovakia?

We were massive favourites against everyone we have played so far. For the first time in the tournament we will probably be seen as the underdogs somewhat, all things considered. I've always felt we'll perform better when we're not expected by some to blow teams away. "Some" being the casuals. Obviously it remains to be seen. But I still fancy our chances and expect us to be in another semi-final, despite of Southgate.

Said it before the Euros started on here. He’s a complete donkey. No tactical skills, odd behaviour around sticking with his favourites, etc. Now because he’s had some success with that the man believes he can do no wrong. That’s what’s so infuriating. He should have become a more experienced manager by now but instead all he’s become is arrogant. Hopefully, this will be his last tournament, you can see he’s lost some of the players this time.
Is he definitely going at the end of this tournament?

Back
Top Bottom