England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The last Euros we were questionable and boring in the groups but it was still two wins, including over Croatia. And we generally(aside from vs Scotland) had some semblance of balance. It was functional. We then were really good throughout the knockouts, no way this current team achieves that win over Germany or beats anyone 4-0.

World Cup was pretty good. Senegal are better than Slovakia and we walked through them. Took the initiative vs France but went out to a side a shade more talented. Of course arguable he failed in key moments but you couldn’t argue we weren’t functional or competent.

Qualifiers we started off very strong and tailed off a bit. But still, home and away wins vs Italy, big win over Ukraine etc. We weren’t World beaters but it was nice enough. Obviously the NL shit was a fiasco but this is by far the worst we’ve been in a tournament.

It’s worse than 2018 where the squad was a shit load poorer. The vibes and togetherness are gone. Team isn’t good at either end of the field.

I know you’ve never really rated him & that’s completely fair, but this is definitely not the same as the last 3 tournaments. The whole team feels like it’s constantly on the verge of shitting itself with no understanding of how to do .. anything.

He was doing a good job with what he inherited... Up until a point....

That point being; as the honeymoon-period faded (2018 being a free hit cos of Fat Sam's fuck up) and the squad quality rose, he simply hasn't grown nor adapted as expectation rightfully increased. Instead; he developed a siege mentality (from questions asked of him) and became stubborn (also his selection criteria and rationale became increasingly contradictory).

The extent of Gary-Ball was always to hold off the oppo, have Rashford & Sterling create havoc out wide and hopefully Kane picks up the scraps. Tactically he's never held any answers when that plan has faltered.

His biggest achievement was always fixing the culture and making England fun again (for fans and players alike) - we won knockout games, won a lot of 'should win' games, won a pen shootout in a WC and beat Germany in a game that mattered - but as you rightly note; that's all since gone up in smoke........ The shirt weighs heavy once more.

He peaked in 2021.

Last edited:
If Switzerland don't win at least 2-0 I'd be surprised.

Southgate seems totally incapable of noticing the issues in the team.
Said it before the Euros started on here. He’s a complete donkey. No tactical skills, odd behaviour around sticking with his favourites, etc. Now because he’s had some success with that the man believes he can do no wrong. That’s what’s so infuriating. He should have become a more experienced manager by now but instead all he’s become is arrogant. Hopefully, this will be his last tournament, you can see he’s lost some of the players this time.

I just can’t handle Southgate.

Chuckling about Toney being disgusted.

He’s like a weirdo Jehovah’s Witness.
He’s demented. Could be he gets a twisted kick out of throwing his benchies on when they have no chance to do anything. Or he actually thinks it’s effective. Either way, no England manager has made as many subs in the last 10mins of normal time as him % wise.

I just can’t handle Southgate.

Chuckling about Toney being disgusted.

He’s like a weirdo Jehovah’s Witness.

Him crowing about ‘this is why you don’t sub too many players on sillies!’ made me wanna put my foot through a screen.

Nobody wanted you to sub Bellingham you fucking idiot. Mainly they wanted Trent and Gordon on for the players dropping disasterclasses.

You’re not a fucking tactical genius because La ligas player of the season whacked in an overhead kick from a long throw in the 94th minute against Slovakia. You’re just a fucking idiot Gareth.

Actually winds me up that he’s gone away feeling vindicated. That team wasn’t creating shit. They’d almost all accepted going out, heads were fully down and gone. We had nothing. Absolute one in a million Hail Mary worked.

He’s praising us for staying patient too. You cock. You absolute cock. We didn’t create anything. Patience isn’t a virtue if it achieves nothing. We equalised because someone said ‘fuck it’ and abandoned patience. He’s an absolute fucking loon when it comes to media stuff this tournament.

I also do honestly think he sees fans/pundits demand something and it makes him more stubbornly oppose doing it. His refusal to use Gordon at all, the way he resisted ever using Grealish, continuing the totally failing Foden at LW crap… I swear he gets a smug sense of superiority out of it.

There’s no way he is seeing certain things and believes it is working. Do we think there’s any chance Gordon being the most open/critical of our performances in the media got him in trouble too? Players seem to be singing from the same North Korea inspired hymn sheet this tournament.

Him crowing about ‘this is why you don’t sub too many players on sillies!’ made me wanna put my foot through a screen.

Nobody wanted you to sub Bellingham you fucking idiot. Mainly they wanted Trent and Gordon on for the players dropping disasterclasses.

You’re not a fucking tactical genius because La ligas player of the season whacked in an overhead kick from a long throw in the 94th minute against Slovakia. You’re just a fucking idiot Gareth.

Actually winds me up that he’s gone away feeling vindicated. That team wasn’t creating shit. They’d almost all accepted going out, heads were fully down and gone. We had nothing. Absolute one in a million Hail Mary worked.

He’s praising us for staying patient too. You cock. You absolute cock. We didn’t create anything. Patience isn’t a virtue if it achieves nothing. We equalised because someone said ‘fuck it’ and abandoned patience. He’s an absolute fucking loon when it comes to media stuff this tournament.

He is but 2/3 years of apologists crowing "best manager in 60 years" bollocks have helped birth the 'beast' we see before us today.

Bragging about getting to the quarter finals is the equivalent of Man City fans telling everyone how great they are for getting into the 5th round of the League cup after smashing Cheltenham and Stevenage.

Nobody is bragging but some people are definitely going into a meltdown over it, especially the foreign Spurs fan.

Y'all know we're an English club, right?

Only England fans get this reaction and it's truly bizarre. Go and support a Spanish or German or Scottish (haha) club side.

The incompetence he showed in the game today was so unbelivable it seemed like deliberate sabotage.

He is literally the only fucker on planet football that would have made the decisions he made today. Mind boggling levels of arrogance, stupidity or downright obstinacy.

The incompetence he showed in the game today was so unbelivable it seemed like deliberate sabotage.

He is literally the only fucker on planet football that would have made the decisions he made today. Mind boggling levels of arrogance, stupidity or downright obstinacy.

Foden managing nearly 90 minutes should be grounds for some kind of investigation. Clearly a player who just doesn’t enjoy playing for us, probably a combo of overthinking it in an England shirt and the style we play. He wants to do it desperately, too much pressure on him.

So Gareth sticks him on the left with a fullback who can’t overlap and watches him stink the place out for 90 minutes repeatedly. Genius.

Time to ditch the formation we've now been playing with for four games and hasn't worked once. We should bring in Watkins to partner Kane. Play a 4-3-1-2 formation with Bellingham behind Kane and Watkins. Give the Swiss something different to think about. Saka has been average this tournament and looks tired ,while Foden is still nowhere near what he is for City every week. He's not going to suddenly start putting Gordon and Palmer on from the start now.

I genuinely can't believe that two players were crying out for, the pace and energy of Gordon and the composure and intelligence of Wharton, have been completely ignored by Southgate.

Southgate is delusional, he was an incredible goal away from sending this country into absolute meltdown after what so far has been one of the worst Euros to watch from an England point of view.

I don't know why he's become so stubborn and infuriating, the bloke thinks he's prime Sir Alex Ferguson despite winning absolutely fuck all.

We were fucked yesterday, we had no clue. It was a moment from Jude that's prolonged our stay in this tournament, however a tough match against the Swiss awaits.

Time to ditch the formation we've now been playing with for four games and hasn't worked once. We should bring in Watkins to partner Kane. Play a 4-3-1-2 formation with Bellingham behind Kane and Watkins. Give the Swiss something different to think about. Saka has been average this tournament and looks tired ,while Foden is still nowhere near what he is for City every week. He's not going to suddenly start putting Gordon and Palmer on from the start now.

I genuinely can't believe that two players were crying out for, the pace and energy of Gordon and the composure and intelligence of Wharton, have been completely ignored by Southgate.
Watkins WITH Kane seems so obvious.

At present, I can't see anything other than a convincing Swiss win.

No one who's seen the last four matches can have any confidence or belief that we can turn it around anymore.

After Serbia I was disappointed, after Denmark I was still thinking it's early days, after Slovenia I started to worry but then thought we'd improve drastically in the knockouts.

After yesterday, I just can't see beyond another awful England performance. It's some of the worst displays I've seen since the Nations League.

At least in other tournaments there was a semblance of a team underneath all the negativity.

We had two shots on target against Slovakia in 120 minutes of football.

Gareth Southgate might be the worst but also luckiest manager to ever take the England job. I suppose there is something to be said for someone who gets such luck much better than shit but also no luck.

Switzerland will shred us. I said that we'd struggle badly when he announced the squad. It's utterly unbalanced has no pattern of decernible play and frankly the Shaw call should trigger some kind if mental competence test. We are bad Switzerland are decent we have a one in ten chance to win. On the eve of the tournament I said to Deuterz Deuterz "You deserve better" Southgate is about to get what he deserves.

Back
Top Bottom