Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Meh, I'm not worried.

In one sense, it's wrongheaded to view Chinese and American prosperity as mutually exclusive. In another sense, I am deeply skeptical of China's ability to sustain their recent trend of growth over the next few decades.

In gross terms it's probable that they will very shortly overtake the US in terms of gross economic output, however poorly that statistic is compiled. But, in real terms their per capita rate of prosperity is still quite low.

There are some quite serious issues underlying the fundamentals of the Chinese economy, and in particular their chief policy tool for growth (stimulation of the construction sector) over the past decade or so seems to be going off the rails, if the past few months are any indication.

My cousin just taught an ESL course over there for the past year. He said that almost everything we're seeing is like a good looking shell on a rotten egg. There's nothing to back up the shiny veneer.

My cousin just taught an ESL course over there for the past year. He said that almost everything we're seeing is like a good looking shell on a rotten egg. There's nothing to back up the shiny veneer.
Well, it's funny. My mom does business in China and goes 2-3 times a year, and comes back talking about how incredible their infrastructure is and how they're eating our lunch, but it's so strange how they keep building skyscrapers at a furious rate but all the buildings are 95% empty, and that all of the manufacturers they do business with have stopped expanding in China and have started moving operations to Vietnam, that the supply chain management is fucked and most of the material comes out defective no matter how hard they push their suppliers.

And there I am, practically waving flags, screaming "SIGNALS! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!!"

What it has taken a lot of businesses a very long time to realize is that very often wage rates are a very small driver of cost for many firms, and that when taken with the difficulties of managing an overseas supply chain and manufacturing operations, combined with the quality issues that most Chinese manufacturers have, along with currency fluctuations, et cetera, and the cost of constantly flying managers out to Asia for crisis management, that the cost of operating in China is roughly at parity with the costs of doing business in many parts of the US. This is all to the extent that "reshoring" is now becoming a common buzz word, referring to the act of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the US.

There are a lot of jobs that aren't coming back, unfortunately. A lot of this is just due to people being out of work for so long that their job skills have deteriorated, or simply they're no longer up to date with the manufacturing technology being used, or simply that many of them have become so discouraged by the endless cycle of hirings and layoffs that they don't want to commit to any of it anymore, so they won't return even if the jobs are available.

Meh, I'm not worried.

In one sense, it's wrongheaded to view Chinese and American prosperity as mutually exclusive. In another sense, I am deeply skeptical of China's ability to sustain their recent trend of growth over the next few decades.

In gross terms it's probable that they will very shortly overtake the US in terms of gross economic output, however poorly that statistic is compiled. But, in real terms their per capita rate of prosperity is still quite low.

There are some quite serious issues underlying the fundamentals of the Chinese economy, and in particular their chief policy tool for growth (stimulation of the construction sector) over the past decade or so seems to be going off the rails, if the past few months are any indication.

Do you watch Vice News by any chance? I know that anything funded by Bill Maher is obviously going to be overwhelmingly biased, but they do actually actually cover some very interesting topics. You may know of it if you've seen it, or at least come across it in your economics studies, but they did one bit on what you're talking about here with how much GDP they have hidden in these monstrous, entirely empty cities. Whole skyscrapers nearly constructed with not a soul living in them. Eerie as fuck to see, honestly.

Give him time. Don't judge him on one bad performance in a cup game. If he's crap in 2 years time & can't buy a game- then it's time to judge. He looks solid to me. Good business? I think so. Give him time.

Do you watch Vice News by any chance? I know that anything funded by Bill Maher is obviously going to be overwhelmingly biased, but they do actually actually cover some very interesting topics. You may know of it if you've seen it, or at least come across it in your economics studies, but they did one bit on what you're talking about here with how much GDP they have hidden in these monstrous, entirely empty cities. Whole skyscrapers nearly constructed with not a soul living in them. Eerie as fuck to see, honestly.

That was a great episode.

The club could trade Levy for a spare spark plug for a ford fiesta. We have to get behind Pochettino and his choices. Come on lads. This is our year ... For the perennial transitional season argument.

Agreed! Haha I think Maher's a rude cunt, but I do love me some Vice. Cover things I would never even hope to be aware of if not for them.

There's some stuff that I agree with him on, but I can completely understand why people would wanna smack him around a little bit.

Vice has been solid long before Maher got involved though. When Vice News was only on YouTube it killed it, and the magazine has been around for years.

Interesting tidbit: while maybe upwards of 50% of an iphone is manufactured/assembled in China, the country only captures maybe 1-5% of the economic benefit of that phone being sold. I think that's a microcosm of the larger challenges that China faces

Out of what we have? On a fully fit day at the Lane?
Lloris, walker, Davies, jan, & kaboul.
Eriksen, Lamela, capoue/Sandro, Lennon (early doors) Ade plus a wild card somewhere. Soldado, Kane maybe? I don't get paid millions to
Make decisions. I just love the Spurs & always will. How it's all run is a source of misery I can't change

Out of what we have? On a fully fit day at the Lane?
Lloris, walker, Davies, jan, & kaboul.
Eriksen, Lamela, capoue/Sandro, Lennon (early doors) Ade plus a wild card somewhere. Soldado, Kane maybe? I don't get paid millions to
Make decisions. I just love the Spurs & always will. How it's all run is a source of misery I can't change
Go to bed Bolton, you're drunk. #lookatwhostalking

There's some stuff that I agree with him on, but I can completely understand why people would wanna smack him around a little bit.

Vice has been solid long before Maher got involved though. When Vice News was only on YouTube it killed it, and the magazine has been around for years.

Absolutely, used to very much enjoy the documentaries they did before they landed the deal with Maher and HBO. I do myself agree with Maher on quite a bit, especially politically, but he gets under my skin sometimes with how incredibly rude he is to people he debates with. Immensely stuck in his beliefs and very condescending towards anyone with an opposing opinion to him.

Ring any bells lol?

Back
Top Bottom