Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just did a googley on Dier and found this from a Sporting fan on a manure website, thought I'd copy it here:

"He moved for just 5 million euros because he had a clause from the previous board where he could return to England if a club pay that ammount. Our President tried to renew but he wanted to move to the Premier league. With our new President, i doubt he would ever get that contract clause or leave so cheap.

Eric Dier was with us since he was 9 years of age and was a captain in the youth ranks. Can´t say i´m surprised he wanted to leave since he was behind an Argentinian internacional Marcos Rojo and one of the revelations of last year brazilian center back Maurício in the pecking order. Further more we bought the supposed "new Ricardo Carvalho" from Vitória Guimarães Paulo Oliveira, a french u20 World Champion Naby Sarr from Lyon and an Egyptian internacional who is highly rated Rabia.

Dier has potencial to become a very good player but unlike Tiago Ilori (before he left to Liverpool) he couldn´t "grab" a spot in our line-up. He still prone to concentration lapses and errors but that understandable since he is still very raw and inexperienced. He is still inconsistent. Able of producing very good performances against Porto and Jackson Martinez and then do bad errors against Olhanense. He needs to play to keep evolving. Doubt he would do that here. Don´t know if he will do so at Spurs. Even so, it was his choice to move."

Sounds like a loan move would be the best thing for him.

Do you watch Vice News by any chance? I know that anything funded by Bill Maher is obviously going to be overwhelmingly biased, but they do actually actually cover some very interesting topics. You may know of it if you've seen it, or at least come across it in your economics studies, but they did one bit on what you're talking about here with how much GDP they have hidden in these monstrous, entirely empty cities. Whole skyscrapers nearly constructed with not a soul living in them. Eerie as fuck to see, honestly.
I can't stand Bill Maher and I try my damnedest not to give him any attention.

Yeah, I've seen a LOT about the property bubble in China, and specifically what you're referencing, with regards to real estate development that hasn't been grounded in actual demand. It's almost amusing, because a lot of them have been sort of thematic takeoffs of European villages. There's a miniature version of Paris complete with an Eiffel tower that's empty, apart from the workers who have built the place. Here are a few links:
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...hinas-eerie-faux-european-ghost-towns/282872/
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/11/29/chinas_imperial_plagiarism
http://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-cloned-village-in-china-is-now-open-to-visitors/

But no, my comment on GDP wasn't specifically referencing that. It was more of a comment on the value of GDP as a concept in the modern economy, in the first place. It's a fairly clean calculation for predominantly agricultural nations or simple manufacturing economies, but for a modern service and information economy like the United States and Europe, it isn't apparent to me that those statistics are at all accurate in the long-run. That is, on a relative basis we have a pretty good grasp of whether and to what degree the economy is growing or shrinking on a short time-line, say 5 years or so. We know because it's readily apparent when one year seems better or worse than the previous years, and because the same math gives us a different result year over year, and generally speaking not that much can be expected to be fundamentally different in how the economy functions over a period of 2-3 years, for example. But, I think GDP is shockingly poor at assessing innovation, and if you really stop to think about it, it seems fairly absurd that we're using the same economic measures today that we were using 60 years ago, in a world that doesn't look anything similar.

Look mate, we're clogging up the airways. Hope to meet up for a beer, in the meantime take care.
Yeah fuck sake you two. Can we get back to the topic at hand please - Eric Dier 'A comparison of American and Chinese Economies As Discussed By Americans From An American Point Of View With No Chinese Person In Sight To Defend His Country But Who Cares Coz America Is Awesome and China Is Shit Bruv Yeah!'

Thanks all

x

Last edited:
Yeah fuck sake you two. Can we get back to the topic at hand please - Eric Dier 'A comparison of American and Chinese Economies As Discussed By Americans From An American Point Of View With No Chinese Person In Sight To Defend His Country But Who Cares Coz America Is Awesome and China Is Shit Bruv Yeah!'

Thanks all

x
All for getting back on topic, but if you don't have anything of substance to say on the other subject, then don't say anything at all.

Another one, like Mabutteo, who I haven't seen play - albeit I've heard and read about him seeing as he is one of about 3 English players plying their trade away from the Isles.

Assume he is going to be bench or U21's/reserves initially and hopefully show what he has to break into the first team?

Just did a googley on Dier and found this from a Sporting fan on a manure website, thought I'd copy it here:

"He moved for just 5 million euros because he had a clause from the previous board where he could return to England if a club pay that ammount. Our President tried to renew but he wanted to move to the Premier league. With our new President, i doubt he would ever get that contract clause or leave so cheap.

Eric Dier was with us since he was 9 years of age and was a captain in the youth ranks. Can´t say i´m surprised he wanted to leave since he was behind an Argentinian internacional Marcos Rojo and one of the revelations of last year brazilian center back Maurício in the pecking order. Further more we bought the supposed "new Ricardo Carvalho" from Vitória Guimarães Paulo Oliveira, a french u20 World Champion Naby Sarr from Lyon and an Egyptian internacional who is highly rated Rabia.

Dier has potencial to become a very good player but unlike Tiago Ilori (before he left to Liverpool) he couldn´t "grab" a spot in our line-up. He still prone to concentration lapses and errors but that understandable since he is still very raw and inexperienced. He is still inconsistent. Able of producing very good performances against Porto and Jackson Martinez and then do bad errors against Olhanense. He needs to play to keep evolving. Doubt he would do that here. Don´t know if he will do so at Spurs. Even so, it was his choice to move."

Sounds like a loan move would be the best thing for him.

Concentration lapses. Sounds like he is 1st team material.

No. Spurs and Economics are my two great passions.
Well I, sir, know absolutely fuck all about economics. But in the spirit of TFC, I will go toe-to-toe with you irrespective of my lack of knowledge, goading you to my hearts content, responding to 12 paragraph essays with two words, making up long, clever-sounding words, discussing stocks and shares and GDP and money and graphs and poverty and border lines, speaking as though I am well-entwined in the building blocks of this and many other countries around the globe when in actual fact I am utterly oblivious to the workings of the world. :adegrin2:

Good luck! :dawsonlol:

I can't stand Bill Maher and I try my damnedest not to give him any attention.

Yeah, I've seen a LOT about the property bubble in China, and specifically what you're referencing, with regards to real estate development that hasn't been grounded in actual demand. It's almost amusing, because a lot of them have been sort of thematic takeoffs of European villages. There's a miniature version of Paris complete with an Eiffel tower that's empty, apart from the workers who have built the place. Here are a few links:
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...hinas-eerie-faux-european-ghost-towns/282872/
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/11/29/chinas_imperial_plagiarism
http://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-cloned-village-in-china-is-now-open-to-visitors/

But no, my comment on GDP wasn't specifically referencing that. It was more of a comment on the value of GDP as a concept in the modern economy, in the first place. It's a fairly clean calculation for predominantly agricultural nations or simple manufacturing economies, but for a modern service and information economy like the United States and Europe, it isn't apparent to me that those statistics are at all accurate in the long-run. That is, on a relative basis we have a pretty good grasp of whether and to what degree the economy is growing or shrinking on a short time-line, say 5 years or so. We know because it's readily apparent when one year seems better or worse than the previous years, and because the same math gives us a different result year over year, and generally speaking not that much can be expected to be fundamentally different in how the economy functions over a period of 2-3 years, for example. But, I think GDP is shockingly poor at assessing innovation, and if you really stop to think about it, it seems fairly absurd that we're using the same economic measures today that we were using 60 years ago, in a world that doesn't look anything similar.

Brilliant, and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Completely agree on the GDP being a very obsolete manner of evaluating an economy, but what else can we do? Or there those actively working on more modern formulas?

Also, yeah that documentary from Vice actually included that model of Paris. Mentioned that almost no people lived there, and that people only went there for tourism, but mostly for wedding pictures. Just incredible how extravagant the architecture is, with hardly anyone walking around. Really quite eerie to watch, even (and especially) with a happy and bubbly couple getting set to have their picture taken with it as the background.

Listening to 5 Live last night, Pleaty a guest, and they had a short piece on Eric Dier. Very highly rated. Sounds like he has it all. Pace, strength, aerial ability, awareness and the attitude to only want to improve. I am really looking forward to watching him, as I knew nothing of him beforehand. Think we might see him being a EL regular this season.

Back
Top Bottom