Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was pretty much the invisible man after his surprise appendicitis operation a year ago.

Personally really pleased to see him back against Red Star as a CB - and imo that role plays to his strengths of reading the game, solid defending and not needing to be athletic rather than a DM where in addition he needs to be able to pass the ball about - where in addition to doing the basics right he seemed to assume the captaincy/organisation of the defensive unit. And whilst Red Star weren't amazing o n the night getting a captain of the defence is really useful - Jan Vertonghen usually does that role but when Jan doesn't play their often seems to be a poorly organised defence. Worth remembering that Southgate made him captain of England a couple of times, the last time just over a year ago.

Early days for him back playing when 100% recovered after injury, so maybe we'll see him also back playing as a DM, but if not think he will be very useful for us this season playing as a CB. Worst case is that it means Alderweireld has to up his game to play.
It's entirely possible that playing at DM will have developed him into being a better CB, one that can read the game better and be able to support whoever might be playing that role in front of him if he is to end up as CB.

Irrespective, IMO he's versatility will always be his strength. At the time of his sickness/injuries, he was no better or worse than Henderson. The major problem with either of these two players isn't the player but peoples interpretation of the role they occupy (talking DM here obviously).

That was honestly one of the worst individual performances you’re likely to see. Constantly kicking the ball away, constantly getting burned for pace, no awareness of anyone around him.
He really is pure dung.

I reckon he has broken a record today for mis placed passes

I almost fell out my seat when he actually passed to a white shirt

Why have all our players turned to absolute shite ?

Fact is he went from a good young rb, went to cm and was good. He got injured and just hasnt returned.

He never plays so cant expect him to just solve our problems all of a sudden.

IMO sanchez and Jan should be starting together.
I dont begrudge Jan wanting to leave after the year's he has given us and hes still playing better than Toby.

I didn't want him on the pitch today for the simple reason that he's crap when up against hard pressing teams. Nearly always has been. When we were in control, spending the greater portion of the game in the opponents half, with Dembele at his side, he was ok. Dembele made him look halfway decent. But today was a prime example of why he doesn't even deserve to be on the bench.

Fact is he went from a good young rb, went to cm and was good. He got injured and just hasnt returned.

He never plays so cant expect him to just solve our problems all of a sudden.

IMO sanchez and Jan should be starting together.
I dont begrudge Jan wanting to leave after the year's he has given us and hes still playing better than Toby.

I think Jan is the most likely to stay, too. I personally think that Jan/Dav is the most useful and best starting pair.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom