Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not just the pens, there are also the near misses. Too many games where he's looked in control and suddenly is caught out. I just think his defensive instincts are not at the top level. He often sees the danger a fraction too late. That gets him into situations where he has to recover things, and makes high risk tackles. Possible he will improve the more games he plays at CB, but until then I think we'll have to accept the odd error. If he's going to rotate with Toby, I'd prefer it if he played fewer games against the top sides.

The more Dier plays at CB, the more penalties he'll give away.

He's a liability. We can do better.
I like the general idea of Dier. He is hard working, passionate, physical and versatile. But there is no reason we should be holding him as our 1st choice centre back... His defending when Belgium had a good 20 minute spell ysterday was diabolical and if it wasn't for an incorrectly given offside he would have been at fault for more goals than he was.

For his reputation as a ball playing cb, he is also incredibly poor at passing and twice a game you'll see him passing it straight into the ad boards.

Should be back up.

It's not just the pens, there are also the near misses. Too many games where he's looked in control and suddenly is caught out. I just think his defensive instincts are not at the top level. He often sees the danger a fraction too late. That gets him into situations where he has to recover things, and makes high risk tackles. Possible he will improve the more games he plays at CB, but until then I think we'll have to accept the odd error. If he's going to rotate with Toby, I'd prefer it if he played fewer games against the top sides.

He's been at fault for 3 of the 5 goals we've conceded so far this season and we've only played 4 games!

Not only that but he was at fault for England against Belgium too. So in all comps for club and country. He's had a hand in 4 of the 8 goals conceded.

And that's me being polite and not blaming him for moving out of the way of Werners shot in the League Cup game.

That's too high a percentage for a starting centre back at a top club that wants to win something.

Last edited:
He's been at fault for 3 of the 5 goals we've conceded so far this season and we've only played 4 games!

Not only that but he was at fault for England against Belgium too. So in all comps for club and country. He's had a hand in 4 of the 8 goals conceded.

And that's me being polite and not blaming him for moving out of the way of Werners shot in the League Cup game.

That's too high a percentage for a starting centre back at a top club that wants to win something.
I'm not a fan of Dier at centre back at all, but it seems Mourinho thinks the alternatives aren't any better, or he'd be playing them more.

The most optimistic case is that Dier improves the more games he plays, reduces the error rate, but I agree with most on here that it's unlikely as his limitations look pretty fundamental.

I have more confidence in Toby, Dav, Japhet and even Ben Davies at CB to not make mistakes. But the case for Dier has always been partly his role as a leader, his character, the fact he's vocal and won't shrink under pressure. He has John Terry-like character, but sadly not quite the ability to go with it. Tanganga, on the other hand, who I think is a purer defensive talent seems quiet/shy by comparison. I still have high hopes for him and I'm hoping Ledley, as a guy who also made it from the youth team, can get him going this year.

Its strange because I often think he looks absolutely dominant in a game, only for him to do something bizarre and concede a goal. He must have a tendency to switch off.

How many times has he stood in the box and watched a cross without even moving.
He looks like a backwards rabbit staring at headlights not realising it's certain death coming its way.

I'm not a fan of Dier at centre back at all, but it seems Mourinho thinks the alternatives aren't any better, or he'd be playing them more.

The most optimistic case is that Dier improves the more games he plays, reduces the error rate, but I agree with most on here that it's unlikely as his limitations look pretty fundamental.

I have more confidence in Toby, Dav, Japhet and even Ben Davies at CB to not make mistakes. But the case for Dier has always been partly his role as a leader, his character, the fact he's vocal and won't shrink under pressure. He has John Terry-like character, but sadly not quite the ability to go with it. Tanganga, on the other hand, who I think is a purer defensive talent seems quiet/shy by comparison. I still have high hopes for him and I'm hoping Ledley, as a guy who also made it from the youth team, can get him going this year.

Here is our record with Dier under Mourinho and our record without him since Jose saw him and changed him to a centre back.

With
P: 16
W: 5
D: 7
L: 4
F: 26
A: 21
CS: 2

Without
P: 7
D: 1
L: 1
F: 18
A: 6

That 1 loss was against Leipzig in the CL where we lost 1-0.

Here is our record with Dier under Mourinho and our record without him since Jose saw him and changed him to a centre back.

With
P: 16
D: 7
L: 4
F: 26
A: 21

Without
P: 7
D: 1
L: 1
F: 18
A: 6

That 1 loss was against Leipzig in the CL where we lost 1-0.

FFS Jose, Jose, are you looking at this???

ManU have Maguire and Spurs have Dier.. atleast the spurs one didn't cost 80mil. If Aurier and Ben Davies can keep up their performances along with Hojberg shielding the back then Spurs can afford to have Dier in defence

No, he hasn't.

EvertonH0-1LToby and Eric to blame.
Lokomotiv PlovdivA2-1WDavies and Sanchez at fault
SouthamptonA5-2W(1)Sanchez fault. (2)Doherty handball pen.
ShkëndijaA3-1WUnstoppable shot.
Newcastle UnitedH1-1DDier "handball" Even Newc manager said it's bollocks decsion.
ChelseaH1-1WReggie's fault. Great shot to score.
HaifaH7-2W(1)Sanchez passed to Haifa.. Unstoppable shot. (2)Pen for Doc hand ball.
Manchester UnitedA6-1WPenalty conceded by Sanchez.

No, he hasn't.

Newcastle UnitedH1-1DDier "handball" Even Newc manager said it's bollocks decsion.
HaifaH7-2W(1)Sanchez passed to Haifa.. Unstoppable shot. (2)Pen for Doc hand ball.

That line you quoted was aimed at league only. Considering we've conceded 5 in the league.

How you can say he wasn't at fault for Southamptons opener is a shambles.

Regardless of the Newcastle decision, it still goes down as Eric Dier conceding a penalty. Moments after he'd got away with something similar moments before.

As you've correctly seen how shite Dier was against Everton, I make that 3.

Absolutely awful centre back that for some reason continues to play over better centre backs.

That line you quoted was aimed at league only. Considering we've conceded 5 in the league.

How you can say he wasn't at fault for Southamptons opener is a shambles.

Regardless of the Newcastle decision, it still goes down as Eric Dier conceding a penalty. Moments after he'd got away with something similar moments before.

As you've correctly seen how shite Dier was against Everton, I make that 3.

Absolutely awful centre back that for some reason continues to play over better centre backs.
Dier was not shite but very good v Everton. No chances from open play all game.
The goal we conceded to DCL came from a FK that sailed over Toby who failed to jump. Eric was the other side so I am apportioning blame to him that maybe he does not deserve.

Dier was not shite but very good v Everton. No chances from open play all game.
The goal we conceded to DCL came from a FK that sailed over Toby who failed to jump. Eric was the other side so I am apportioning blame to him that maybe he does not deserve.

Dier didn't even jump and he sees Calvert-Lewin all the way - he and Alderweireld both to blame for Everton of course. But he's not without fault in that goal.

3 goals out of the 5 conceded in the league link to Dier in some way. That's not good enough. That's over 50% of the goals we've conceded in the league down to him.

2 cleansheets with him in starting at centre back in his last 16 games. Conceded 21.

Rubbish.

Even with England at centre back he's making errors and conceding penalties.

No, he hasn't.

Did you just state he wasn't at fault for the Ings goal?

Back
Top Bottom