Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte commented on this noting how the midfield two played so deep it was like a back seven, his tactical change was to move them both twenty yards further forward and allow for an easier transition back to front. Was that a tactical fail for 45 minutes or a cunning plan?

The biggest winner was Moura - gave away the ball almost every time in the first 45 with it arriving from a distance and with a defender up his arse - second half he received much shorter passes and had space and time to turn and attack - amongst a couple of other tweaks this was the main gamechanger.

Fully agree a 1st half v 2nd half breakdown will be fascinating

As this is the Dier thread - that halftime change also meant Dier wasn't having to play 30/40/50/60 yard passes to a well-marked front three - he could step forward and find the midfield two or a forward closer and in a bit more space - a role he is far better at than trying to be the new Toby.
With Diers long passing, it's not too bad and obviously, as you allude to is better when forwards have also gained that yard need to bring the ball down, but actually, rather than doing Toby pings to the touchline, he's trying to hit a much more difficult verticle ball to both Moura and Kane in yesterday's game (again this could be game-specific, we'll have to wait and see).

For me though what this game highlighted was how the loss of Romero was felt. When he's on the front foot, coming out of the line to take an interception or if his bay passes the first press, he then becomes the extra man in midfield, this creates a lot of options for us and should also free whoever is in midfield (Skipp, Winks, PEH).

They are verified across 3 different organisations. The only variation on numbers that are seen can be on varying definitions on how certain organisations count the data for a given action being recorded. But for pass completion this is totally uniform throughout the industry.

As for how he played; you specifically stated his passing was “poor”. That’s all you said and quite rightly the obvious retort to that from those who completely disagree with you (of which there are numerous) is to provide a statistical figure that disputes your claim on his passing. His passing numbers can also be broken down to the type of pass, distance, direction, which half they were played in, key passes etc there are also passing maps that can show patterns and trends, all quite powerful in the use to provide analysis of a performance. Having scanned this data quickly there is little to suggest anything that his passing was “poor” in most metrics (including some key attacking ones he rates as a top 3 performer in a Spurs shirt)!

So, if you want to assert your claim on how poor his passing was why don’t you be more specific, or be more eloquent and insightful with your analysis.

We await the inevitable stock reply in most of these disagreements of “because I’ve got eyes”.

It is not a stock reply it is the factual reply that I watched the game so would of course use that to determine what happened rather than unreliable "stats" that don't tell us anything.

Sorry that unlike you I can handle the fact that many of our players are not good enough, with Dier being right near the top of that list. He wasn't as complete dog shit as he usually was but his passing yesterday sucked. He could make a few simple passes that any 5 year old could make and of course struggled with any pass more difficult than that.

At this point it really isn't even his fault, he just sucks. I am sure he is doing his best but as we have seen that isn't close to good enough.

Look Dier played ok yesterday the problem i have is that he was our best passer against leeds, that means our midfield is lacking.

Good point, the best midfield passer we have is Skippy and he's not the finest at defence-splitting through balls ... LoCelso when fit? Ndombele? Dele? not sure any fit the bill. If Conte has anybody in mind for January let's hope it's a creative midfield player - Bruno, KdB, Neves somebody of that quality.

It is not a stock reply it is the factual reply that I watched the game so would of course use that to determine what happened rather than unreliable "stats" that don't tell us anything.

Sorry that unlike you I can handle the fact that many of our players are not good enough, with Dier being right near the top of that list. He wasn't as complete dog shit as he usually was but his passing yesterday sucked. He could make a few simple passes that any 5 year old could make and of course struggled with any pass more difficult than that.

At this point it really isn't even his fault, he just sucks. I am sure he is doing his best but as we have seen that isn't close to good enough.

We ALL fucking watched the game!!!!

Prove to us all that the passing stats given are "unreliable". Do you think the earth is flat because the stats provided to prove it's round are unreliable? If they are unreliable prove it or shut the fuck up with the utter nonsense.

You are doing an appalling job at proving and backing up what you saw, you are going to need to be more convincing that because you watched the game, you can't even point to examples and fuck me you have an open goal of 19% of his 60 odd passes were unsuccessful!!!

Just take a look at the passing map again, he was pinging accurate long balls (more than anyone else in the team) to Lucas, Kane and Son all game, these were to feet. These weren't passes a 5yr old makes, these are line braking passes to feet not looping balls over the top into channels (and the ones shown in the map are all the successful ones in the first 67mins a period we struggled most of the time). Lucas (and Kane) lost the ball in many of these, not because the ball was bad but because Phillips was great 1v1 against Kane and won most of his individual battles and because I think Conte is looking for a one or two touch lay off from the recipient to midfield runners or wide FB/'s as he has got his other sides to play! If there are no runs or angles being made or players aren't in the position to receive then they result in a turnover as Lucas is forced to hold the ball up or turn and run with it, which happened with high regularity in this period.

Again, as many others have called you out on your analysis is biased, doesn't reflect the reality of the game that he played. If you want to get involved in these discussions you need to drop the bias or back up and prove what you claim what your and only your eyes have witnessed. But you won't or can't (don't reply without this info, because there's nothing more to debate without it).

We ALL fucking watched the game!!!!

Prove to us all that the passing stats given are "unreliable". Do you think the earth is flat because the stats provided to prove it's round are unreliable? If they are unreliable prove it or shut the fuck up with the utter nonsense.

You are doing an appalling job at proving and backing up what you saw, you are going to need to be more convincing that because you watched the game, you can't even point to examples and fuck me you have an open goal of 19% of his 60 odd passes were unsuccessful!!!

Just take a look at the passing map again, he was pinging accurate long balls (more than anyone else in the team) to Lucas, Kane and Son all game, these were to feet. These weren't passes a 5yr old makes, these are line braking passes to feet not looping balls over the top into channels (and the ones shown in the map are all the successful ones in the first 67mins a period we struggled most of the time). Lucas (and Kane) lost the ball in many of these, not because the ball was bad but because Phillips was great 1v1 against Kane and won most of his individual battles and because I think Conte is looking for a one or two touch lay off from the recipient to midfield runners or wide FB/'s as he has got his other sides to play! If there are no runs or angles being made or players aren't in the position to receive then they result in a turnover as Lucas is forced to hold the ball up or turn and run with it, which happened with high regularity in this period.

Again, as many others have called you out on your analysis is biased, doesn't reflect the reality of the game that he played. If you want to get involved in these discussions you need to drop the bias or back up and prove what you claim what your and only your eyes have witnessed. But you won't or can't (don't reply without this info, because there's nothing more to debate without it).

Yes we all watched the game but only some of us watch it with an unbiased view while you and many others watch it with Spurs tinted glasses on unwilling to see the problems with the squad and players because you prefer to live in s fantasy world where everyone on Spurs is amazing.

I will come into any discussion I want if you don’t like it too bad or better yet leave, we will all be better if you did.

Yes we all watched the game but only some of us watch it with an unbiased view while you and many others watch it with Spurs tinted glasses on unwilling to see the problems with the squad and players because you prefer to live in s fantasy world where everyone on Spurs is amazing.

I will come into any discussion I want if you don’t like it too bad or better yet leave, we will all be better if you did.
And onto ignore you go.

Hahahah... The Iggy-Pops Show in full flow in this thread too I see..... And in the Winks thread.... And the Lucas thread.... And.... And.....

All those kisses; never chapped lips tho'.... Such a trooper!

717-7171817_transparent-balloon-emoji-png-love-you-kiss-emoji.png

Why would a Spurs fan watch a Spurs game and be unbiased???

Dier had a good game against Leeds,.

Made good blocks. interceptions, passes, read the game well.

Edit btw when he plays shit it gets mentioned on here, it's not all rose tinted Spursisms.

I don't get the point in slagging off a player when they do well.

Last edited:
Why would a Spurs fan watch a Spurs game and be unbiased???

Regardless of bias...... When individuals show zero affinity to the club; one naturally questions whether they are a fan at all.

Iggy-pops considers himself to be of some elevated, red-pill disposition when in truth he simply doesn't like/love Spurs and merely shows all the signs of someone who recently thought "I spose I should pick a team cos I like this football stuff now" yet now regrets not picking City, Chav or Liverpool instead.

One good thing about the back 3 of Romero, Dier, Davis is that they can all play a bit further up the field, Dier having been a DMF, Davies a LB, and Romero just naturally wants to join in the MF.

Maybe not the CB combination we'll see this time next year but they seem well suited as a three.

if we're going to keep Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga as cover, it's not awful.

My guess is that Rodon may well go and be replaced by someone fancy from mainland Europe.

Usually Dier's defending is a thing to worry about. But against Leeds he was good. Better on the ball as well especially that part where he is running up with the ball when theres space instead of the usual standing still and looking around.

Got himself when trying to dribble past 2 unnecessarily, when Messi's ghost takes over and shouldnt do that because he cant dribble. Similar to how he gave a goalscoring chance vs Wolves.

Hopefully with 'patterns' being coached now, his and our other defenders will pass quicker but theres a slightly improvement already. Not getting carried away though, it was Leeds, the 17th team that has won 2 games all season so far.

It is easy to be unbiased when evaluating players. Doesn’t mean you have no care about who wins or not.

Why would anybody want to look at things with a biased view?
Being biased towards Tottenham when watching a game is in no way related to simply pretending players had a good game. There is no game of football involving Tottenham that I will be unbiased in watching, doesn't mean I will forever be under the impression that Harry Winks is the second coming of Pirlo.

Also, it's hilarious to see you claiming to be unbiased whilst completely dismissing the fact that Lucas had a positive impact on the result of the game against Leeds.

Back
Top Bottom