Fulham @ Home - 23/10, 8pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I been a critic of PEH in the past but you have to give it to him, he is a real pro. Even if, how were playing isn't his game, he's really trying and doing his best to follow the managers plan.

Still available, never injured. He is doing his job the best he can.

I can't fault that. Bissouma is another level though but probably lacks PEH passing range
Long range passing is the only thing that Biss needs to add. If he done that he’d be as good as anybody in that position

I actually thought we were pretty awful in the 2nd half. I really don't know how we went from completely dominating the first half to repeatedly giving the ball away in the 2nd. I know Fulham made a couple of changes at half time, but a lot of the time it was our own sloppy touches and passes that caused it.

Had we not have got the 2nd, that could have been a very, very uncomfortable half to watch.

I'm trying to reconcile in my mind why the 2nd half dipped so drastically from the 1st half.
Was it international fatigue?
Was it resting for another game in 4 days time?
Was it just the Spurs of the last 4 years creeping in and dropping back for no real reason?
Maybe because the style of football now is so high tempo that it is tiring, the team isn’t 100% used to it yet and the calibre we are bringing off the bench isn’t quite what it needs to be.

Good news is that even when a bit sloppy the football is still way better than it was under the dinosaurs. And it helps that our back line is so good that the sloppiness isn’t costing us

Nothing quite as entertaining as a win.
...wooooooooah, I dunno!
We had a coupla DOUR DOUR wins under Mourinho & Conte... Wins, yes, nervy, tight, turgid, definitely... but entertaining, nowhere near...

The litmus test will be when we (eventually) lose a game, whilst playing entertaining football... What will the reaction be...?

I'm not saying people will be be happy with ANY defeat, but I'd rather us continue to play the football we're playing, and suffer the odd defeat, than play turgid, stale, rotten, stink the place out football that barely deserves any success!

...having said that, come back to me when we inevitably do lose a game... I reckon I might not be as forgiving as I am right now!!

So, seemingly conflicting points.

1. Thought PEH played quite well. Did a good job playing his game. Helped keep pressure off us.

2. We really missed Biss. His ability (and willingness) to make himself available in tight spaces, turn, and push an attack forward is crucial to our best play.
Mate, that's not conflicting at ALL... PEH fulfilled the role of a SQUAD player to perfection...
Came in when we needed him, and did a job.
He did exactly what was asked/expected of him.

Thing is, he should never have started so many games under Conte, as his limitations eventually became apparent when playing so regularly...
But if he (and Skipp) accept their roles as squad players, then I have no problem with them being at the club...

I'm not one of those who subscribe to the notion he is 'stealing a living' by still being here...

If his role is to fill in as and when required, and against certain opposition, then he's done that to perfection several times already this season.

MY problem is that Richie should also be fulfilling the same 'Squad player' role... yet he seems to be starting more games than his ability clearly warrents!

If Veliz turns out to be anything close to the real deal (and if I'm honest, based on last nights' cameo, he's not quite there yet) then I see him and Richie swapping in and out of the team as back-ups/sub options to Kulu, Son or Maddison....

95+ minute winners do that to an atmosphere!
I think the most noticeable thing was complacency in both the atmosphere, and at times in the 2nd half, on the pitch...

Luckily, Ange has noticed it, and I'm sure will stamp that out ... YES it was 'only' Fulham, but it was 'only' Sheffield Utd when they came here, and look how long it took us to beat them!

no room for complacency!
i loved the fact he was disappointed in the 2nd half performance.
its good for that he was,bodes well for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Maybe because the style of football now is so high tempo that it is tiring, the team isn’t 100% used to it yet and the calibre we are bringing off the bench isn’t quite what it needs to be.

Good news is that even when a bit sloppy the football is still way better than it was under the dinosaurs. And it helps that our back line is so good that the sloppiness isn’t costing us
I don't think the football was good to watch at all in the 2nd half. I don't know if it looked different on TV, but in the flesh, I felt like we spent large portions without the ball and when we got it, we promptly gave it away again.
In fact, despite the utter control we had in the first half, we were often too slow with the ball.

We just look far more capable of winning almost every game we play at the moment, which in itself is good to watch.

The narrative on Sky is fucking attrocious.

Before the game Dave Jones was like "Spurs fell to fourth after leading at the international break" when we hadn't fucking played lol.

Alan Smith commentating again for us, and during the game "Spurs aren't going to win the title, they should finish 4th or 5th.

Now, most of us don't think we will win the league. All of us hope we can win the league. We mostly have concerns over both our depth, and losing either or both of Son and Madders.

Yet, only 8 teams have had this many points after 9 games. Four won the league. Three finished second. One third. That's 50% chance of winning, 50% chance of top 3. Now by my maths that's not fourth or fifth. Never get the credit. Each week that goes by those odds of winning the league are increasing. And we don't have midweek football to fuck us this time.

Bring on Palace. Come on you fucking Spurs.
TBF he didn't say we won't win it but was responding to what our target should be. We would have to get extremely lucky with injuries to have a chance at the title and the bookies still have us as 4th favourites at 10/1. We are riding a wave at the moment and long may it continue but things can change very quickly.

That being said one game a week is a big advantage and if we can stay injury free and keep this up until January then get some reinforcements in we could do something very special!

i loved the fact he was disappointed in the 2nd half performance.
its good for that he was,bodes well for the rest of the season.

Isn’t it fantastic that we are where we are right now and still doesn’t feel like things have really clicked yet.

Don’t get me wrong there’s been some lovely play but we can be so much better in the final 3rd

BTW, Fulham finished the game without a single yellow card. LMAO.

Refs have had it in for us all season. Only exception was Liverpool and the gooners. Even then the gooners got away with some seriously dodgy tackles.

Even against Luton, Biss's yellow for diving was a joke, can't remember the last time a second yellow for diving was given in this league.

Back
Top Bottom