Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's dirtier than he is creative and might be more one-footed than our other niggly Argentine. Works hard, but I'm still a bit underwhelmed by his performances.

I have to agree mate. I know a lot of people won’t like to hear it, but he doesn’t offer enough for me at the moment. He’s a nice player no doubt with potential, but I want a player that’s going to take that midfield by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. GLC at the moment doesn’t do that. Now Fernandes for United 100% does that, what a signing.

I have to agree mate. I know a lot of people won’t like to hear it, but he doesn’t offer enough for me at the moment. He’s a nice player no doubt with potential, but I want a player that’s going to take that midfield by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. GLC at the moment doesn’t do that. Now Fernandes for United 100% does that, what a signing.
Was on another forum for over a year banging on that Fernandes was 100% the Eriksen replacement we should buy. I was crushed when united got him I cant say I've changed my mind one iota.

Early days and there are promising signs but in no way does he look an Eriksen replacement. Cant see him wracking up 15/20 assists a season and a dozen goals. He looks like a good central midfielder who would get better with a more solid defensive player next to him. All that means if it isnt N'Dombele then we still need a no10.

Early days and there are promising signs but in no way does he look an Eriksen replacement. Cant see him wracking up 15/20 assists a season and a dozen goals. He looks like a good central midfielder who would get better with a more solid defensive player next to him. All that means if it isnt N'Dombele then we still need a no10.

Exactly mate. We still haven’t replaced Eriksen which fucks me off about Levy. We have lost a massive goal scoring midfielder and don’t have anyone of that ilk. Lo celso is fine if we had a player like Fernandes in there. So for argument sake a midfield trio of say Lo celso, Hojberg and a Fernandes type player would be awesome.

I don't know if he would have the exact numbers of Fernandes but if you switched the players I have no doubt that GLC would have similar numbers to Fernandes and Fernandes would be struggling to put up any stats here.

GLC has been by far our most creative player since becoming a regular starter. His lack of "stats" has more to do with his teammates and him being forced to play so deep than any lack of ability in his game.

Hopefully we can bring in a proper DM and another CM (perhaps Ndombele) so that Lo Celso can play further up the pitch where he belongs and can shine even more than he has.

I don't know if he would have the exact numbers of Fernandes but if you switched the players I have no doubt that GLC would have similar numbers to Fernandes and Fernandes would be struggling to put up any stats here.

GLC has been by far our most creative player since becoming a regular starter. His lack of "stats" has more to do with his teammates and him being forced to play so deep than any lack of ability in his game.

Hopefully we can bring in a proper DM and another CM (perhaps Ndombele) so that Lo Celso can play further up the pitch where he belongs and can shine even more than he has.
I´d really love to see a YouTube compilation with Lo Celso´s "almost" goals and assists this season. His numbers at the moment don´t tell the whole story.

For example, the two assists against West Ham: Sonny´s goal ruled out from a minimal offside; Harry Kane´s miss with the left foot. Even the corner which resulted in an own goal could be in it. The almost goal against Liverpool. All the half chances that he created for others - yesterday in the second half there was a beautiful pass to Lucas. I´m sure there are many more all over the season.

For anyone that followed him during his Betis days, is clear that he is a very good finisher as well. Numbers will go up.

Why are people obsessed with Gio's goal and assist tally? He is playing box to box for Spurs and has done the entire time. Don't remember ballon d'or winner Luka Modric getting many assists or goals either? Or Michael Carrick?

Shite players they must be :vertna:

Why are people obsessed with Gio's goal and assist tally? He is playing box to box for Spurs and has done the entire time. Don't remember ballon d'or winner Luka Modric getting many assists or goals either? Or Michael Carrick?

Probably due the 9 goals and have 4 assists in 32 league games with an average Real Betis last season which is why we paid such a large figure for him. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Lo Celso's current output is his worst at any of his respective clubs and he played in this position with Betis as well.

But hey lets compare him to a defensive midfielder and a deep lying playmaker - that makes sense,

Maybe because he was signed to replace someone we let go that did that or because it's the first time playing league football that he's contributed 0 goals or assists...we also have one of the best strikers in the world, who is dying for good service.

Lol@comparing him to Carrick who is a completely different player btw. FWIW Luka produced goals and assists in every season and was a far better player than GLC has shown.

That old chestnut of “ well he’s not that type player “, errrr yes he is mate. He scored over 15 goals for Betis last season so clearly he’s a goal scorer when he wants to be. He’s a great talent, but needs to be showing more on the pitch goal and assist wise. We paid a lot of money for him to do that mate.

That old chestnut of “ well he’s not that type player “, errrr yes he is mate. He scored over 15 goals for Betis last season so clearly he’s a goal scorer when he wants to be. He’s a great talent, but needs to be showing more on the pitch goal and assist wise. We paid a lot of money for him to do that mate.

He's literally been our only competent midfielder this season and somehow his goal tally for another team who played him as a 10 serves against him? If anything it just goes to show how good he is that we can get more out of him if we use him further up the pitch.

It's not like he's been wasting a bunch of chances or playing 'safe' passes either. There is no reason to be picking holes in GLC's season at all, he's been head and shoulders above the rest.

He may be that type of player, but he isn't playing in the same position he was at Betis and hes playing in a completely different system.

Modric scored 17 goals the year we signed him too.

I couldn't give a shit how many goals and assists he gets in a season. Aslong as he keeps performing, im happy.

He looks a promising player and I like him. Hopefully he contributes more next season in way of goals and assists as we will need it without Eriksen's contributions and with an out of form Dele. We can't expect only Kane and Son to score.

Exactly mate. We still haven’t replaced Eriksen which fucks me off about Levy. We have lost a massive goal scoring midfielder and don’t have anyone of that ilk. Lo celso is fine if we had a player like Fernandes in there. So for argument sake a midfield trio of say Lo celso, Hojberg and a Fernandes type player would be awesome.

That would be a fucking dream of a midfield

I don't think Lo Celso was ever supposed to be the Eriksen replacement tbf. He's a very different player in many respects. I think he was just targeted to improve our midfield in general. The three players I believe were targeted as Eriksen replacements were Dybala, Fernandes and Coutinho (quite possibly in that order too.) The fact that all 3 were available and none were signed is a damning indictment of our recruitment/negotiating methods once again, it has to be said.

I personally never saw him as a Christian replacement. I also never saw him as a comparable to Bruno. From what I saw at Betis, which was a small sampling, I saw much more or a ball carrying midfielder that gets in battles and can create. If people wanted a Christian replacement they should have been eyeing Bruno, who is actually far more talented than Christian when it comes to a goal threat. Similar vision and affinity for spraying the ball around. Gio is a more combative, less lethal David Silva for me.

Back
Top Bottom