Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's bloody good!

Which lends itself to two upside scenarios:
a) We get good value for a sale. He should stand us in on our books at approx £11m
b) New Head Coach might fancy him. He has a year left on his contract I think, so if this scenario plays out perhaps we have to extend for a year (I don't know if we have an option or not).

Either way, I don't care, so long as the decision has been thought through properly.

Gio is always such a strange one.

He was praised heavily for working hard to get into Mourinho's team when he wasn't favoured. He then came in to that team and was genuinely brilliant in every game he played before we signed him permantly.

His form then seemed to nose dive. He then got little niggly injuries and his inconsistency mirrored the clubs. Mourinhos style of football likely not benefiting him, then being sacked, then Nuno coming in etc.

Personally, I think it's got to the point where he probably hasn't got a future here. A new manager may just feel like he'd make a good squad player, however, I just don't think Lo Celso has any commitment here. We've shoved him out on loan to try and raise his stock because the club doesn't seem to think he has any value.

I'd love nothing more than for him and Ndombele to finally click that by working hard, they can make a career here and turn it around but it's time to cut our losses and get rid of both. Luckily, I think we may at least get something decent for Gio because at least out on his loans, he's been pretty useful and he's an Argentina regular.

He definitely has technical ability, but two things give me pause

a) durability
b) commitment

My other concern is I can't see any club coming anywhere near £50m for him and I presume that is what Levy will want, I feel to shift him we will need to take a fairly big hit.

I don't see a future for him here, he's been useless for us outside of one or two performances.
It's true... he's injury prone, and I'm not sure he will want to come back (or is that popular with his teammates here).

I'd love nothing more than for him and Ndombele to finally click that by working hard, they can make a career here and turn it around but it's time to cut our losses and get rid of both. Luckily, I think we may at least get something decent for Gio because at least out on his loans, he's been pretty useful and he's an Argentina regular.
It won't be anywhere near what we paid for him, he's too brittle for the PL and other clubs will have done their homework. We might get lucky with a club from abroad, though I note he hasn't played all that many minutes in Spain either.

It won't be anywhere near what we paid for him, he's too brittle for the PL and other clubs will have done their homework. We might get lucky with a club from abroad, though I note he hasn't played all that many minutes in Spain either.

We'll still get a lot more than we'd get from the likes of Sessegnon and Ndombele from that Pochettino transfer window.

The fact someone as canny as Emery is rumoured to want him at Villa should definitely make us pause, especially as his is a position we need quality in.

I accept it hasn't worked out, but he'd be coming into a technically better midfield than he left if he returns. He's similar to McAllister, who 'pool are about to spend big on. We just haven't seen much of it at Spurs.

Given we will have limited funds, there's a case for giving him another chance as our 10, so that we can spend most of what money we have on GK and CB. Needs a manager who wants him though.
I guess he fits a certain system, I haven't seen a minute of him since he was loaned out, so I don't really know what that system is (I do like how he played for Argentina but it's dangerous to base international form/position with club).

But just want whatever call it is to be made by DoF/New coach.

He definitely has technical ability, but two things give me pause

a) durability
b) commitment

My other concern is I can't see any club coming anywhere near £50m for him and I presume that is what Levy will want, I feel to shift him we will need to take a fairly big hit.

I don't see a future for him here, he's been useless for us outside of one or two performances.
His a full argie intl so £30M should be about right

You just know we're going to shift him and he'll turn out to be great for someone else.

A midfield of Bentancur - Bissouma - and Lo Celso could be dynamite.

Argentinian fans know he's the dog's. Hoping that Ange wants to give him a chance.

You just know we're going to shift him and he'll turn out to be great for someone else.

Argentinian fans know he's the dog's. Hoping that Ange wants to give him a chance.
GLC is talented. Messi says so...

But the summer he signed, he got crocked playing for Argentina in the Copa America, and Poch hardly saw him on the pitch. And his sicknote spells continued thereafter.

GLC is injury prone, and Arne's high intensity, run till ya drop, system would probably exacerbate this.

If Emery wants him, and is prepared to take the sicknote risk, then I'd probably sell him for the best deal we can get.

But I agree he could turn out to be an effective player for Villa or whomever.

He is made of glass. Four years into his contract (four years!) we need to accept this and get rid. He will never be physically able to handle the PL schedule. He has had injuries with us, injuries with Argentina, injuries with Villarreal. Just flog him and sign a midfielder who can start 38 games. We need to go back to the Poch era which meant top athletes not sicknotes.

If he comes good at Villa then good for him, the most important thing is that he leaves the club. I personally won’t be too bothered about losing someone who has scored *checks notes* 1 PL goal in four years.

Crazy thing with Lo Celso,he’d actually fit into how Ange plays if he was fit and focused. Football can be weird and unpredictable and we might find players who were gone might just get a new lease of life.

He will be like a new signing
Happy Birthday Yes GIF by HyperX

There was a brief spell in his first season where be looked like he had all the potential in the world. His numbers weren't there in terms of goals and assists but he was making things happen.

It was as if he lost all of his confidence overnight. Then over the next year and a half he was riddled by injuries and amongst a negative system that was never intended to get the best out of anyone.

I think his time is likely up but I don't believe in the lightweight nonsense that gets banded about. In the right system, he could provide an option certainly. He's got a good pass on him, he can beat a man with a burst and has good work rate. Those are boxes ticked in an Ange system.

And tbh, if it was between him and Ndombele, I'd much rather keep him as a squad option.

Nope....not for me, has had numerous chances to prove himself and like Nd falls squarely into the category titled 'a waste of feckin space' so if other clubs/managers feel he can do a job for them then win, win.

A new manager will probably want to give everyone a chance, hope not, I've renewed.

Back
Top Bottom