Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't remember a single time in Lo Celso's Spurs career where I'd describe him as 'amazing'

He's always been a very ordinary but serviceable player.
He showed a degree of goal threat in his one year at Betis that he never has before or since for club or country.

16 goals in 45 appearances that season, 25 in 287 in the entire rest of his senior career.

I have always rated Lo Celso, but he's never hit any real run of form with us, with too many injuries and also not suiting Mourinho or Conte's defensive / counter attacking systems. He was a key part of the Argentina team that won the Copa America and only injury stopped him being a world cup winner. I think he is suited to an attacking 4-3-3 so would be interested to see what Ange makes of him. That said, we are very well stocked in CM and by all accounts he wants out. So probably tiem to cash in. If we sold him to Villa for ~£20M they'd be getting a bargain (and we shouldn't we'd be strengthening a rival - Villa under Emery are already a contender for European football every year).

Think the post your replying to is about right
And the video is pretty much how I remember his first season...picking the ball up in our half and running at defences .. and there was a nice free kick he at the end and surprised they didn't pic more corners he delivered a decent set piece..
Because he did that one terrible corner in Conte's first league game people like to pretend that's representative of his entire time here...

This again???

How many footballers do you know that get international call ups having not been playing at club level? Why would he go out on loan in search of getting games if his aim was to avoid playing games until it was time for Argentina duty? Why did he come out and state that he was fit and ready to play that time Conte left him out of the squad entirely if his desire was to not play for us?

I'm not saying he didn't have trouble with availability, but the oft regurgitated notion that he was actively avoiding playing games for us is just ridiculous.
Exactly..'This Again??'

He is not another footballer and your revised cherry picked version of events doesn't cut it.

He's had his time and he seemed to be this repeat offender of rarely seeing game time (due to being out recuperating various injuries) then miraculously going off to play international friendlies. Then straight back on the sick list, only to repeat it when Argentina came calling.

Comes across as a pea heart.

I have always rated Lo Celso, but he's never hit any real run of form with us, with too many injuries and also not suiting Mourinho or Conte's defensive / counter attacking systems. He was a key part of the Argentina team that won the Copa America and only injury stopped him being a world cup winner. I think he is suited to an attacking 4-3-3 so would be interested to see what Ange makes of him. That said, we are very well stocked in CM and by all accounts he wants out. So probably tiem to cash in. If we sold him to Villa for ~£20M they'd be getting a bargain (and we shouldn't we'd be strengthening a rival - Villa under Emery are already a contender for European football every year).

Argentina is about as close to a one man team as it gets, they have some good players in the squad but if Messi doesn’t perform the team looks shit. I don’t really understand your comment about him almost being a World Cup winner, they won it without him, he wasn’t needed. More likely the WC win indicates they likely would have won Copa America without him as well.

We should very seriously consider keeping him, at least until Bentancur gets back. We're not going to get this level of quality in midfield for €25m.

We should very seriously consider keeping him, at least until Bentancur gets back. We're not going to get this level of quality in midfield for €25m.

From what I've seen of Lo Celso previously....we're not going to get this level of quality from him when the season starts.

He's always been a decent player just injury prone and seemingly lacking commitment to Spurs (bit of an Argie theme lately).

But you don't play this often for a world cup winning team if you are pony.

If people are hyped over Ndombele's redemption arc I don't see why it would be different for Gio. In theory we are now adopting a system that suits them much better than the last few.

Still think he will go as I reckon he's rated in Europe. 15m +5m in add ons is about right.

He's always been a decent player just injury prone and seemingly lacking commitment to Spurs (bit of an Argie theme lately).

But you don't play this often for a world cup winning team if you are pony.

If people are hyped over Ndombele's redemption arc I don't see why it would be different for Gio. In theory we are now adopting a system that suits them much better than the last few.

Still think he will go as I reckon he's rated in Europe. 15m +5m in add ons is about right.

He will always be made of glass, his injury record was extremely poor last season even in a less physical league.

There’s a career path for him somewhere at the top level but I don’t think it’s in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom